S-IPS like S-PVA for Text?

poindexter

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
88
I am looking into older monitors, and I'm wondering, do S-IPS monitors have the same fuzzy text display that S-PVA monitors have?

I have used the HP LP2465 (S-PVA) and found the text quite a bit blurrier than the H-IPS, TN, and MVA screens I have used.

Both S-IPS and S-PVA seem to have non-rectangular subpixels, but I believe they are dimmed differently, with S-PVA dimmed non-uniformly while S-IPS subpixels are dimmed as a unit. I suspect this may result in a difference in text clarity between the two.

I am also looking at older non-"S" PVA screens, as they seem to have rectangular subpixels (such as Dell 1905FP).

Thanks!
 
No, I've only seen that problem with split-pixel VA panels. All other panels are fine.
 
I use the LP2465 and the Samsung 244t and NEC LCD2470WNX. The latter two have the same panel but seem to have sharper text, the 244t most of all. Suggest that it's because of higher contrast. The HP has the least contrast of the three (you can see the difference when the screens are dark), the NEC next, and the 244t the best.

I write on the 244t all day long and occasionally switch to the LP2465 to check the web. The 244t seems plenty sharp to me.
 
Back
Top