?'s 2.7 Xeon MP w/ 2MB L3

-=GS=-

Weaksauce
Hello everyone this is my first post!

Well I recently aquired a pair of 2.7 xeon MP's with the 2MB L3 cache, I've got a few questions. First, should I even consider using these for my home desktop or should I sell them and go a different route (I do some video editing, 3D design, photoshop ect)? Second is there a pc compliant motherboard that supports these processors so I can keep my lian li pc-60 that I like so much? Also can I use dual processors with windows XP or am I going to need to use the server edition? I really don't know much about the intel line and on top of that I have never done anything with a dual processors.

I say sell them they would be a complete waste in using them in a DUAL setup. They are nice but a waste Unless your using them in a 4 way rig. Ebay them I guarantee you will be able to buy dual xeon setup just from the profits of these two CPU's. I don't think there is any boards with AGP or PCIE that support MP's,

MP's work fine in a dual rig and it would hardly be a waste since they have more cache memory than the normal Xeon DP. Espcially if you aquired them for a good price. I say use them.

You do not need Windows 2003 server. You can use XP Professional. You must use Pro and not Home Edition as Home doesn't support dual processors. XP Pro does, but no more than two physical and two virtual as in Hyperthreading. With XP Pro and those two processors your system should see a total of four CPU's. (Two physical and two virtual.)

It would make a nice setup. I don't know if you can keep the Lian Li or not as I have no idea what the size of that one is. Alot of Xeon motherboards are very large and won't fit alot of cases. If you need a new case I'd say go for a CoolerMaster Stacker. It will have more than adequate cooling and will have enough room for whatever you need to shove in there. It's a big case.

Small form factor or small cases in general plus Xeon's don't mix.

Back