Ryzen5 and Solus Linux compatabilty

Hunter Bop

n00b
Hello,
I'm using Solus and LOVE it. I cannot run Linux on my Ryzen3 I have now at all. Nothing will boot. I think it has that bug.

Does anyone know if the newer Ryzen5's would work with Linux now? I believe Solus is using a newer kernel.

Thanks

Hello,
I'm using Solus and LOVE it. I cannot run Linux on my Ryzen3 I have now at all. Nothing will boot. I think it has that bug.

Does anyone know if the newer Ryzen5's would work with Linux now? I believe Solus is using a newer kernel.

Thanks

What Ryzen 3 are you running? Any distro using kernel 4.17 and newer should be just fine on any Ryzen processor.

I haven’t tried Solus, but Pop OS, Ubuntu and Manjaro work just fine with AMD. Maybe just a Solus issue? As mentioned, if it’s the newer Kernel, there shouldn’t be an issue.

Wish I could give it a try and look for myself

If your talking about a Ryzen 3 2200g with vega you shouldn't have any issue with pretty much any major distro.... but ime the best way to go is Manjaro, as its rolling with 2 layers of testing before things hit the stable repos.

As long as your distro is running kernel 4.19 (the latest LTS) or newer with MESA 18.3 or newer you should have zero issues.

Try Pop Os. I’ve found it’s far and away the most compatible with new hardware.

Try Pop Os. I’ve found it’s far and away the most compatible with new hardware.

Shouldn't be any more compatible than the latest Ubuntu on which it's based- the few times I've run it I've been less than impressed. Came across as pointlessly customized, I get and appreciate the commercial perspective of course, but perhaps a bit niche for those not running the intended hardware.

For the OP's problem I expect there to be something going on between hardware and BIOS / UEFI. Solus is a bit niche itself, but if bare Ubuntu won't run on something I'd be looking real close at the system itself.

Shouldn't be any more compatible than the latest Ubuntu on which it's based- the few times I've run it I've been less than impressed. Came across as pointlessly customized, I get and appreciate the commercial perspective of course, but perhaps a bit niche for those not running the intended hardware.

For the OP's problem I expect there to be something going on between hardware and BIOS / UEFI. Solus is a bit niche itself, but if bare Ubuntu won't run on something I'd be looking real close at the system itself.

I couldn’t get Ubuntu to work on the build in my signature. I would either get a blank screen with cursor, or after some troubleshooting and getting into the GUI, I would get stuck at driver installation with nothing being available in the list of prop. drivers. I messed with secure boot and other boot options but couldn’t get Ubuntu 18.10, Manjaro, Mint 18.04, or Solus to work. Pop OS both NVIDIA and regular installed and worked great.

I couldn’t get Ubuntu to work on the build in my signature. I would either get a blank screen with cursor, or after some troubleshooting and getting into the GUI, I would get stuck at driver installation with nothing being available in the list of prop. drivers. I messed with secure boot and other boot options but couldn’t get Ubuntu 18.10, Manjaro, Mint 18.04, or Solus to work. Pop OS both NVIDIA and regular installed and worked great.

Wow, cool. Wonder if the 2080Ti was the culprit. The 1080Ti below had no problem with Manjaro, but it wouldn't extend the DE to my three side monitors off the AMD card whilst Ubuntu MATE did it upon booting the install image.

You might check Ubuntu 19.04 and see if the installer lights everything up- seems they're integrating more recent closed Nvidia drivers in the install as opposed to it being a post-install config option.

Could also be something else entirely...

Wow, cool. Wonder if the 2080Ti was the culprit. The 1080Ti below had no problem with Manjaro, but it wouldn't extend the DE to my three side monitors off the AMD card whilst Ubuntu MATE did it upon booting the install image.

You might check Ubuntu 19.04 and see if the installer lights everything up- seems they're integrating more recent closed Nvidia drivers in the install as opposed to it being a post-install config option.

Could also be something else entirely...

The drivers were the issue for sure. The 2080ti won’t even run on older drivers. Ubuntu 18.04 and the release of 18.10 when I downloaded it had a driver that didn’t work with the 2080ti (except the open source and those are a complete joke for Nvidia).

The drivers were the issue for sure. The 2080ti won’t even run on older drivers. Ubuntu 18.04 and the release of 18.10 when I downloaded it had a driver that didn’t work with the 2080ti (except the open source and those are a complete joke for Nvidia).

I'm betting there was a way to do it, though I can't say I would have found it without some sideways work- I have a 1050Ti in my server (needed Nvidia for Plex transcoding, or thought I did, and that was the one Nvidia GPU that took no external power and had 4GB of VRAM), and getting drivers installed for CentOS 7 was a minor chore.

Essentially, install Ubuntu with the GPU removed, then figure out the order needed for disabling the open-source driver, installing the Nvidia driver, and installing the card.

It doesn't boot with the card removed, well, you have other problems.

Back