Ryzen semi-passive SFF build?

St1X

Weaksauce
I am looking to build semi-passive Ryzen rig for internet, game programming and gaming.
One of the most important features I am looking for is a total silence when idling and browsing Internet. However I am not ready to trade performance for silence, but I am OK to buy premium components if they can solve my problem.

So what I am looking for?
1. Case. I need something small. Currently I am thinking of Fractal Design Node 202. It has awful design, I know, but it is the only case I could find on the market atm. I'd like to go with Sentry, but it's quite unlikely I'll be able to get my hands on one any time soon. I was looking at ML08 also, but I considered it is too big. The case is still an open question, I need space for two 2.5 drives, should have space for full-size GPU and preferably the same form-factor as Node 202\Sentry\ML08.
2. CPU. Ryzen 1600 or 1700.
3. MoBo. Biostar X370GTN for obvious reasons :)
4. Cooler. Cryorig C7?! I want the most efficient and silent cooler on the market. Should be semi-passive probably, or have Noctua-like fan that's inaudible.
5. Memory. I'll just buy something fast that is confirmed to work with Ryzen.
6. GPU. Will reuse my existing 1060.
7. PSU. I need something semi-passive, preferably with temperature sensor to control the fan, instead of power draw meter. 450 watt?! Should be modular as well, since I'll buy custom connectors.
8. Storage. I'll reuse my existing m.2 and sata ssds.

I am ready to spend as much as necessary for this build, so money is not an issue.

Last edited:
I don't have the time to go over this in detail; I'll come back for you. :)

However, I will point out that the C7 is purported to be very noisy. I'd recommend waiting for the Noctua L9a, myself.

In general, smaller cases are harder to keep quiet than larger ones, as large cases can be fitted with multiple large, slow fans, and airflow is less restricted. For instance, if you allowed yourself a larger case, you could even use a fanless cooler, like this one. The CPUs you mentioned are within the TDP range. Since you want something the size of a Node 202, I think semi-passive is very hard without compromising on performance.
In the past, silent PC review has had the best info on quiet computers, and here is their list of recommended cases. It looks like it hasn't been updated much recently, though.

The thing is, that I want it to be passively cooled during light workloads - like web browsing. There are plenty of SFX PSUs and GPUs that are semi-passively cooled, so it all boils down to semi-passive low-profile CPU cooler

The thing is, that I want it to be passively cooled during light workloads - like web browsing. There are plenty of SFX PSUs and GPUs that are semi-passively cooled, so it all boils down to semi-passive low-profile CPU cooler
Then you want to get the largest possible cooler and configure your fan to stop spinning below a certain temperature, which can be done in software.

So I've finally finished my build.

This are the components I've used:
1. Case. Fractal Design Node 202. Yes, I know it's terrible
2. CPU. Ryzen 1600, since it offers better perf when gaming due to a higher frequency on all cores on multi-threaded loads, than R7 1700.
3. MoBo. Biostar X370GTN
4. Cooler. AMD Wraith with Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, attached using wire-twists. I am still looking for a better replacement.
5. Memory. G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz, CL16, 2x16Gb
6. GPU. Palit GTX 1060 Dual.
7. PSU. Corsair SF450
8. Storage. Crucial m.2 MX300, 1050Gb, Seagate something 240 Gb

Pros:
- small
- quite silent
- powerful
- portable

Cons:
- ugly, shitty plastic case. But it's bare minimum I can withstand.
- the cooler constantly speeds up, but that's due to a default MoBo fan control settings. I tired to tweak them, but after next reboot, the cooler stopped to work and the CPU throttled down to 500 Mhz. So I have to play a bit more with this to find a working settings.
- memory runs at 2133 Mhz only. There is no AGESA 1.0.0.6 for X370GTN yet.
- M.2 is VERY hot, when idling - up to 63 degrees Celsius. I've ordered a thermal pad to remove the heat from M.2 to the bottom aluminium plate.
- GPU is hot - 50 degrees Celsius, when idling. But it's passively cooled even at this temperature.

I have to say, that I use my computer at vertical setup and that largely covers bottom GPU vents. I have not stress tested it yet. I think it's necessary to flip one of the GPU fans, so it'll pull the hot air out of the case before stress testing it.
Overall I am satisfied with my build and I think I can fix the issues I have with it ATM. I just don't have time to do it now

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_131944.jpg
    IMG_20170606_131944.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20170605_201932.jpg
    IMG_20170605_201932.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 71
Back