Ryzen / Ryzen 2 - Best Budget cooler?

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Thinking of upgrading my cooler; currently using a Wraith Spire that came with the 1600. So far it works fine at 3.8GHZ on a Ryzen 1600 but I am planning to get a 2700X and want to ensure it can boost up to 4.35 GHZ. My understanding is that it should be possible on an X370 board (ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC) as long as my cooling is sufficient.

It has been about a year now since Ryzen has been out and I am assuming there may be some better options for coolers designed with Ryzen in mind. In the $30-50 range, what are the best options? I am considering going with a Cryoirg H7, but is there something better out now?

Ideally I would want a cooler than can blow the air out the rear exhaust fan rather than blow it towards the top of the case. I recall that being a problem with some of the Be Quiet! coolers with AM4.

Any time someone asks for budget cooler suggestions, one product stands out:

Hyper212.

Ive built with literally hundreds of H212 variants, and I run a Hyper212 Evo on my server. It's just such a killer good cooler for the price.

It's hard to do much better than the stock cooler for cheap but the main cooler I would suggest based on that criteria is the Cooler Master ML240L.

NE has the non-RGB version for $50 right now with a code(might have to be on their email list for it to work) and the RGB version is only $70. I'm looking at a few AIO coolers to replace the Wraith Prism and this is by far the cheapest on my list but the others don't really perform that much better. I am a little concerned about what corners they might have cut to keep costs down though since I've had 2 AIOs leak on me already(all over my motherboard and graphics card).

Yeah, may be heresy in the [H] world... but if you're looking to save $$, go stock cooler. They aren't bad, all things considered.

Yeah use the prism and get an AIO cooler on Black Friday or when a sale pops up. If you have room for a 240(twin 120mm fans) would be cool, literally.

USE THE GODDAMN STOCK COOLER!
Or spend $75+ and get very little return for it.
AMD stock coolers are not intel stock coolers (since ryzen anyway). They will overclock on stock cooling and honestly spending less than $75 is just going to be the same or less good than the stock cooler anyway. To be honest these things dont overclock well either, so its $75 almost all wasted. you might get +2% in real world usable clocks.

Coolermaster ML240 Lite AIO when on sale for $50 or below. Other than that, the stock cooler.

Seem to be a consensus to keep the Wraith Prism. I like the stock Wraith just fine but I've read the Prism is notably louder (my Wraith remains almost silent at full load in the summer). The [H] review seems to mention it does get loud to. My HDDs also get fairly warm in my case (Fractal Design Define S) so I would preferably want a cooler that pushes the air directly out the rear exhaust fan. I'm not sure how much it would help, but I am hoping it may bring 1-3C off my HDD.

I would also like to remain on an air cooler for simplicity.

USE THE GODDAMN STOCK COOLER!
Or spend $75+ and get very little return for it.
AMD stock coolers are not intel stock coolers (since ryzen anyway).

I hate to sound rude but did you read the OP? I mentioned I already have a Ryzen 1600 + Wraith in the first sentence. I'm well aware of how AMD's current coolers perform. :p

dRfu6Zy.jpg

Seem to be a consensus to keep the Wraith Prism. I like the stock Wraith just fine but I've read the Prism is notably louder (my Wraith remains almost silent at full load in the summer). The [H] review seems to mention it does get loud to. My HDDs also get fairly warm in my case (Fractal Design Define S) so I would preferably want a cooler that pushes the air directly out the rear exhaust fan. I'm not sure how much it would help, but I am hoping it may bring 1-3C off my HDD.

I would also like to remain on an air cooler for simplicity.

I hate to sound rude but did you read the OP? I mentioned I already have a Ryzen 1600 + Wraith in the first sentence. I'm well aware of how AMD's current coolers perform. :p

View attachment 76602
Yes I understand, you want a cheap high performance cooler. There isn't one. Either use the stock cooler or spend some money. You want reliable 4.35ghz, don't buy a cheap cooler.
I have no personal experience with this chip, but all my previous experience says don't buy cheap coolers.
Sorry I'm not giving u options, but I wouldn't risk it. If that's what you want buy a good coolet

+1 Wraith Prism. You'd have to spend over $40 to do any better, and probably not much better until you hit Noctua price range. The Wraith Prism is better than the Spire.

I've been a bit of a Hyper 212 fanboy, but not of their AM4 adapter for legacy heatsinks. Hyper 212+ single fan (on high) on my Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8 hits 70c. Didn't bother with push pull as the case it's in has an exhaust fan directly behind the heatsink. The fans would probably be touching or close to it, if I did push/pull. But I don't OC on regular basis since this is my "server".

I recently ordered a new one from Newegg the other day, Hyper 212 super mega turbo or something like that, $30. Dual fans for push/pull and it supposedly comes with a new mounting system for AM4 that doesn't use the scissor clip. I'm strongly considering getting a 2700x for my main rig, so I'll compare the Wraith Prism to this thing when all that comes together.

Thermalright Macho Rev B / ARO-M14G (https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-ARO-M14G-AMD-Ryzen-only/dp/B07C3KSHZR) or Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B are both under $50 and unlike say a NH-U14s you don't need an AM4 kit.

I wouldn't buy a 150W TDP cooler such as the Hyper 212 series because the gain over the stock cooler is low and also because a stock Ryzen with XFR2 and everything on is around 140W under stress.

The Wraith Prism is rated for 120W at 3000RPM fan speed supposedly.

see https://www.computerbase.de/2018-05...schnitt_kuehlvermoegen_ueber_schalldruckpegel
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-12...renz-cpu-zu-raum-mit-serienluefter-1200-u-min

See Prism vs other coolers , 130W load at full on 12V: https://us.hardware.info/category/19/cpu-coolers/testresults?products[]=440721&specId=19808&tcId=421
* at normalized 40dB , 130W load : https://us.hardware.info/category/19/cpu-coolers/testresults?products[]=440721&specId=19807&tcId=421

Mugen 5 has been reviewed here on [H] too : https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/06/01/scythe_mugen_5_cpu_air_cooler_review/3

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can't go wrong with a Cryorig H7 or Cooler Master ML240L (RGB if on sale). Either will be noticeably better and potentially quieter than the Prism (at least the H7 will for sure). The Prism is certainly good value and quite nice looking though.

If you are considering the Hyper 212 series I recommend the Hyper 212 LED for the better mounts. The backplate works with AM4 and the mounting X has been replaced with two arms that secure by screws to the base.

Keep the stock cooler that comes with the 2700X. Big beast of a thing that looks like it could (almost) match what my Corsair H115i water cooler radiator does.
I'd say the Wraith was at/near top of the line as far as air cooling goes. If you decide to water cool later, you can always flog off the Wraith on eBay (or here)... that's what I'm going to do.

I had a Hyper 212 (or something similar) on my old -2500k build and it cooled like a beast too... but I'd say the Wraith is marginally better.

I have the same Mobo as you. (ASrock Killer SLI/AC)
I have a GAMMAXX 300 on my 1700 which runs at 3.95GHz (I can run 4.0GHz, but I want rock stability, and I knew I was pushing the limits of this chip)
I came from a 1600 @ 3.7 and honestly, the 1700 runs cooler, even at 3.95. (I think I got a golden chip)
My temps are decent and don't throttle, but I do notice that my temps get bad when dust builds up, I need to clean it like once a month.

One thing I will say is that I had to stop using P-State overclocking as it does some weird things to memory bandwidth according to Aida64. (Possibly a Mobo issue)
Once I started using Ryzen Master for overclocking, that weirdness went away (Went from 34GB/s to 44GB/s on mem bandwidth) and allowed me to test HDDs with Hddscan again (Use it all the time).

Great board once you know all the quirks.

I seen newegg (ebay store) sell Corsair H115i (manufacturer refurbs) for $65. Just throwing that out there.

Bit of an update everyone, I bought a Cryorig H7. I got it for $25 shipped and I figured it was worth the gamble. Install, at least on AM4, is an absolute pain. Took a lot of wiggling to get the x-bar lined up to all the screws. The problem is the back plate screws just poke through, and the washers don't screw down on top of them. They just slide on top and press down against the motherboard. This doesn't lock them in place, so when you align the x-bar (which wobbles a lot) and try to get all four edges on top of all four screws some will get pushed back out partially. The constantly alignment took so long that I think the thermal paste seal got kind of screwed up.

Now I was on a 1600 which had a lower TDP, but even with an increase in voltage to 1.3500 it ran equal if not a bit cooler with the Wraith Spire than this 2700X at stock with the H7. Does that seem off? Going to consider trying again hoping I can get it all aligned and tightened down quicker.

Did it go something like this:

Installation may be easier or harder with motherboard installed in the case, depending on whether there's an opening in the motherboard tray and where the opening is.

Also, if you take the cooler off, check under the backplate to make sure there aren't any components or solder points interfering with the backplate. If there are, you may not be able to install that cooler correctly (at least not with that backplate).

Did it go something like this:

Installation may be easier or harder with motherboard installed in the case, depending on whether there's an opening in the motherboard tray and where the opening is.

Also, if you take the cooler off, check under the backplate to make sure there aren't any components or solder points interfering with the backplate. If there are, you may not be able to install that cooler correctly (at least not with that backplate).

Yeah I watched that video before and after installation. For me the damn x-bar moved ever so slightly each time I moved it into position by about .5 to 1mm. And that was all it took for one hole not to line up. :p

Probably easier outside of the case, but the main issue for me was the x-bar doesn't lock into place. At least, not firmly enough.

The stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 2600-2700 is completely different to the one that comes with the 2700X. the 2700X one is a quad heatpipe cooler, the normal wraith is a copper bullet cooler.

Ashame you can't readily get them in the US, but the Alpenfohn Brocken or Sella should be under $30 and are a very reasonable upgrade from the stock Wraith cooler. The Brocken keeps my 2600 under 70c while overclocked to 4.2ghz @ 1.35vcore; with the stock stealth cooler I was pushing 80c.

Back