Ryzen Pro: What Is It?

S-F

Gawd
Looking at some of the new X470 boards on Newegg I see noted "For Ryzen Series CPUs (Raven Ridge), ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs.". What does that even mean? When I Google Ryzen Pro I see some announcements from last year and a fancy page up on the AMD site but nothing other than that. What's the story here?

Ah. Yes, well...... Where does one get such a processor? I want ECC support.

Ah. Yes, well...... Where does one get such a processor? I want ECC support.
Looks like the only way is to buy a workstation with one in it (from dell, hp, etc), or buy one on ebay (if you can find one). You might be able to buy directly from amd, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Probably like Intel's mainstream Xeon CPUs. AMD is doing the same. Slowly growing their product stacks per generation

It would be really cool if the Pro version of Raven Ridge would come soldered too.
Doubt it but there's really no reason to, those chips don't really run that hot. Even on the stock cooler they're 30c below max temp. Maybe with zen+ apus and the high clocks they might.

I'm curious to see this tested as ECC appears to be fully functioning with my 1700x/Asus Prime X370-Pro setup.

I suspect that ECC still works on supported mainboards. It would be a real dick move right out of Intel's playbook if they've physically disabled the pins on the consumer Ryzen 2xxx CPUs.

Probably like Intel's mainstream Xeon CPUs. AMD is doing the same. Slowly growing their product stacks per generation
AMD has been offering "Pro" models of their chips for awhile, and before that they were just branded as "Business" like back in the Phenom I and II days. Then there were the Opterons for Workstations (single socket support only), with even some desktop cores given Opteron branding despite being AM3. So this is nothing new, really.

Maybe with zen+ apus and the high clocks they might.
According to AMD, the APU's ARE Zen+, just on the 14nm node (probably due to being easier/quicker to get them out without having to worry about the GPU side).

I suspect that ECC still works on supported mainboards. It would be a real dick move right out of Intel's playbook if they've physically disabled the pins on the consumer Ryzen 2xxx CPUs.
Yes, ECC has been stated to be fully functional on Ryzen CPUs. I can't say if that includes the APUs as well, but I'd kinda suspect it would, honestly. Either way, Ryzen has functional ECC it's just that since it's a desktop (consumer) product, it isn't 'validated', where as Threadripper and EPYC have official ECC support for it out of the box, and as such I believe that means the motherboards are required to support it as well. For Ryzen though, while the majority of boards have the required electrical traces for it (according to HardwareCanucks), whether they have functioning ECC support in the BIOS seems to be hit or miss. Basically, it seems like they've done it for future proofing, where if they wanted to put in the effort (say to make their product slightly more enticing to buyers), they can rather easily do that with a BIOS update. Which that's nice, and yet, for consumers it's rather frustrating considering it makes it harder to pinpoint which boards are truly ECC-capable (if the product page doesn't indicate), short of buying them all and testing them yourself that is... :(

I believe from motherboard manufacturers the answer is no.
That wouldn't surprise me if we were talking about Pre-Ryzen days, with AM3+ and FM1/2 boards. But now it's a unified platform and so if the APUs do have ECC-capable memory controllers (even if it isn't validated by AMD) I would be a bit surprised if a board maker had ECC support in the BIOS, advertised it as their board with ECC support, but specifically exclude the APUs. If they did I would then be pointing the finger at AMD for that, perhaps baking it into the AGESA, and then it'd give that incentive to buy the Pro chips since they'd have taken the time/money to validate ECC. Otherwise the only other thing going for it is the management software for IT Admins.... and... well ok I'll just link to the Pro page as it shows it all anyways...
https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-pro

In actuality it looks like the PRO models may be 2nd tier dies, behind the EPYC/Threadripper parts? Either that or it's a marketing gimmick...

"Commercial Grade Quality
Processors selected from wafers to ensure commercial grade quality. Processor specifications are set to meet long term reliability."

Wonder if the PRO 1700X then is realistically better than the non-PRO 1700X in any way, such as the memory controller? Cooler running, less power draw? Overclocking headroom seems unlikely heh

It would be nice if the Pro's would have had an integrated GPU. Wanted to try Ryzen out for a Plex server build but I have no room to put in a GPU. No need for an APU, since it'll run headless, Plex can't use it for hardware decoding anyway and you lose half the cores to it.

It would be nice if the Pro's would have had an integrated GPU. Wanted to try Ryzen out for a Plex server build but I have no room to put in a GPU. No need for an APU, since it'll run headless, Plex can't use it for hardware decoding anyway and you lose half the cores to it.
?? They do, though. There are Ryzen PRO APU's.

Though I see nothing that is at all an incentive for a consumer to pick the PRO over an off-the-shelf APU. Not unless their DASH Management is of any interest. (

I'm actually not seeing that they have ECC support on any of the PRO models.
The list of "Supported Features" is rather uh... limited on the APUs:
"Supported Technologies:
AMD GuardMI Technology
The “Zen” Core Architecture
AMD SenseMI Technology"​

The PRO 1700X is longer but, again, no ECC mentioned. (doesn't mention it in the Memory section either, both just list max frequency and how many channels)
"Supported Technologies:
AMD SenseMI Technology
Virtualization
DASH enabled
Secure Boot
Trusted Applications
TSM Encryption
AES
AVX2
FMA4
XFR (Extended Frequency Range)"​

?? They do, though. There are Ryzen PRO APU's.

Though I see nothing that is at all an incentive for a consumer to pick the PRO over an off-the-shelf APU. Not unless their DASH Management is of any interest.

And yeah, they're all Ryzen 5 four core processors. Like I said, you give up half your cores with an APU. I want an 8/16 with GPU, not an APU.

And yeah, they're all Ryzen 5 four core processors. Like I said, you give up half your cores with an APU. I want an 8/16 with GPU, not an APU.
Ah, I misunderstood then.
This is what threw me off to start: "It would be nice if the Pro's would have had an integrated GPU."
So it sounded like you wanted a PRO APU, and so I had interpreted "and you lose half the cores to it." as meaning Plex for some reason wasn't able to address more than 4 physical cores, thereby making a full Ryzen pointless. (I have zero knowledge of Plex, so I'm completely ignorant of any sort of limitations heh)
My apologies heh

Back