Ryzen 7 or I7 in cryptomining?

NoEcho

2[H]4U
Recently I purchased a Ryzen 7 (1700X) - cost $300 on sale. Haven't installed it yet. Starting to have second thoughts. Read that article about the showdown between the OC'd Ryzen and the OC'd I7. Made it sound like an OC'd Pentium would still win a gaming contest. Single threading and such.

BUT

I've read that the Ryzen 7 actually includes elements of AI - machine learning. That the chip modulates to its principal tasks, anticipates its primary use or something. As I'm thinking about using the Ryzen 7 for cryptomining (and home music studio, maybe some video editing...) I'm wondering if the Ryzen 7 is really worth it. If it really can do the voodoo that we pay so much for.

Most cryptomining is Gpu based. Most minors get the cheapest slowest CPU they can to avoid any power use, such as pentiums. Some mining rigs use lowly atoms. If you are a hobby miner using our desktop, just get whatever CPU you like. Ryzen for multi core apps. 7700k intel if you are an extreme gamer. Both chips are in every way though.

CPU mining is a thing again and yeah the ryzen is worth it if you don't mind it taking a year to ROI. I love mine for burst plotting which can use all of those cores properly too. If you feel it by buying a $300 CPU though minings probably not a good thing for you. Gaming is pretty split depending on the game you play but mostly the I7 is better. I think the ryzen will see a lot of refinements over time. If you are debating WHICH $300 cpu is a better buy and you do plan on mining some the ryzen is probably the better choice. I went with the 1700 and overclocked it. I stacked rebates and offers to get iit down near $200 FOR ME

CPU mining is a thing again and yeah the ryzen is worth it if you don't mind it taking a year to ROI. I love mine for burst plotting which can use all of those cores properly too. If you feel it by buying a $300 CPU though minings probably not a good thing for you. Gaming is pretty split depending on the game you play but mostly the I7 is better. I think the ryzen will see a lot of refinements over time. If you are debating WHICH $300 cpu is a better buy and you do plan on mining some the ryzen is probably the better choice. I went with the 1700 and overclocked it. I stacked rebates and offers to get iit down near $200 FOR ME
So is the Ryzen better for plotting than a GPU, or just better than most intel CPUs? Im considering starting some burst mining.

So is the Ryzen better for plotting than a GPU, or just better than most intel CPUs? Im considering starting some burst mining.
I've not had great luck with GPU plotting. How much have you read on it? You have to have 2 GPU's in the system or the screen will be black for days and you have no idea if it worked till the screen comes back. You have to optimize the plots after the GPU part is done too. Many view the GPU part just not worth it.

I've not had great luck with GPU plotting. How much have you read on it? You have to have 2 GPU's in the system or the screen will be black for days and you have no idea if it worked till the screen comes back. You have to optimize the plots after the GPU part is done too. Many view the GPU part just not worth it.
Really? I actually started with the program called gpu plot generator.....It didnt turn my screen black but estimated time was like forever. Im getting a 1080ti soon so ill try plotting a hard drive with it once i have it hocked up . Its suppose to be much faster than with a CPU. I tried with a 2600 Intel, and a 8TB hard drive would have taken a week i think.

Ryzen can mine Monero fairly well, with xmr-stak-cpu.
Mining on 8 real cores, Leaving 8 SMThreads open to
keep the system responsive.

If you are nowhere near meltdown yet, XMR can slightly
more than pay for CPU Watts. GPUs would give better
return for youtr limited watts in a capped situation.

For plotting, I'm using a $300 (eBay) E5-2683 V3 which has 14 cores/28 threads. It does just under 30,000 nonces/min. A really good bang for the buck so to speak. Of course you need a LGA 2011 v3 motherboard (X99 etc).

Xplotter makes optimized plots on the 1st pass.

Back