Ryzen 3600 single core performance vs 4690k

biggles

2[H]4U
Anyone know how much of a performance jump this upgrade would be for single core? It is hard to find comparisons with the old 4690k, and even harder to get single core numbers. I don't run a lot of programs that take advantage of multi-core at the moment. Moslty just games that do fine with a quad core. Obviously the Ryzen 3600 will be superior in the future as multi-core apps become more and more prevalent.

4690K is listed to boost to 3.9GHz at stock, and I assume you mean 'single thread' as a single core with 2x SMT as on Ryzen and i7 CPUs would actually just be half of a core.

That in mind, for single-thread performance, I'd give about a 15% to 20% advantage to the Ryzen 3600. For multithreaded performance, probably double on the Ryzen. Napkin guesses of course.

One thing to keep in mind is that the extra threads and real cores on the Ryzen CPU are going to help keep maximum frametimes down, and those are the slowdowns that you will feel. This is why six and ideally eight core CPUs have become the recommendation for gaming- they keep all the other stuff, including operating system processes, from interrupting critical game threads and causing choppiness.

It can depend on what you’re playing. I have an i5 4670k, and I find performance is more than satisfactory EXCEPT when I’m playing something using Frostbite, like Battlefield. Apparently, Frostbite was designed for 6 core processors, and I have confirmed, looking online at benchmarks, that it’s a significant jump to move to a 6 core+ processor. I would say if you’re still satisfied with your rig, don’t worry about it. Upgrade cycles have definitely gotten longer, and there’s really no point in upgrading if you’re satisfied with what you have right now. Save your money for the next thing that WILL make a difference for you. However, if you’re playing a lot of Frostbite titles, you will notice a significant difference. It really all depends.

You can also do something like run FRAPS in your favourite titles and compare your score with reviews you see online. If you’re seriously lagging, you might be able to justify it, but it sounds like to me that you haven’t even noticed any issues with your current set up, so I wouldn’t worry about it. Just my thoughts.

Games I have played recently include Witcher 3, Quake Champions, Assassins Creed Unity and Black Flag. Before that some Hitman. I don't support Electronic Arts over business ethics. It also appears that the new Ryzen chips are not very good overclockers. So the 15-20% single thread advantage might shrink in half if the 4690k is a better overclocker. The 4690k was a good investment back in 2014, worth holding onto for a little while longer.

Games I have played recently include Witcher 3, Quake Champions, Assassins Creed Unity and Black Flag. Before that some Hitman. I don't support Electronic Arts over business ethics. It also appears that the new Ryzen chips are not very good overclockers. So the 15-20% single thread advantage might shrink in half if the 4690k is a better overclocker. The 4690k was a good investment back in 2014, worth holding onto for a little while longer.

The question shouldn’t be “what are the benchmarks?”. The question should be “am I satisfied with the performance of my current set up for the games I like to play?”. If the answer is “yes”, save your money. There will always be better things to upgrade to when you actually need to make an upgrade.

Last edited:
the answer to your question is yes r3k its very competitive with current intel offerings hell even beats them in some places considering you are on a dead socket you may like the upgrade

Back