RX 550 and “TV noise” while changing resolution

HewBKH

n00b
Hello!

Bought ASUS RX 550 2 GB. Run it on Windows 7 x64. And it has strange thing in behaving: if I change resolution to higher, before the actual picture apperas, I have a second or two of TV noise effect like https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OqALyuTCY-8/hqdefault.jpg . But with colorful grains. If I change resolution to lower than the current - no such thing. But going to higher gives this noise for couple of seconds and than OK. With Crimson drivers of June of this year this did't happen. With newer AMD drivers it now always happen. Plus this doesn't happen with no drivers installed and on Linux LiveCDs.

What causes this noise effect? It it broken video chip or just general “crapness” of AMD drivers?

I mean “Is it broken video chip or just general “crapness” of AMD drivers?”

So.... you see garbage on the screen for a second during resolution change, and then you get the correct and expected picture.

Maybe it's just me since I am a vet of the CRT monitor days where this happened every time, but... Um, what's the problem? Is it really that big a deal that you see the resolution change occurring instead of the screen just blacking out for that second or so?

Also, while unrelated, what resolution monitor are you running where it would be desirable to change resolutions at all? Anything less than max resolution on modern monitors tends to look fuzzy/not sharp. I mean, I could see scaling up and down when using a 4K display or something, but if it is that high a resolution display, that RX 550 is severely underpowered for it.

Edit: for the record, I also see similar effect with my 1280x1024 Dell LCD monitor and the RX 480 it is attached to (kid's PC) because most games don't natively detect that resolution and instead default to 1024x768. I have to then change the resolution.

Last edited:
> So.... you see garbage on the screen for a second during resolution change, and then you get the correct and expected picture.

That's right.

> Maybe it's just me since I am a vet of the CRT monitor days where this happened every time, but... Um, what's the problem?

I see it everytime Windows 7 boots and it's annoying because I don't like buying new stuff that's half-broken. The card works, has no practical problems, but I want it to be 100% working, not 98%. It's brand new, you know...

> Also, while unrelated, what resolution monitor are you running where it would be desirable to change resolutions at all?

“BenQ G2200W”.

I would like to know if anybody else who has RX 550 has this kind of problem. Is it common or I really got “98% working card”...

You might not like the effect, but it's not at all broken. Broken implies the card is not working, and it seems to be working perfectly fine. You just aren't getting the screen to blank at hand off. If it is so bothersome, just roll back the drivers to the last set that worked the way you wanted, or if you haven't already, try the newest Adrenalin driver release and see if it is any better. Other than that, I don't really have any advice that could be of any use to you at all :(

Personally, ESPECIALLY if it only happens to you on initial boot when the video driver takes over from BIOS/UEFI, I think that the concern is a bit nit picky.

No, it happens before “Desktop loading”. After Windows logo assembling from 4 pieces on black screen. And I already tried Adrenalin. No better.

But thank you for your input. I get that my card ain't broken, that's good.

With this thread it looks like the problem might lie in HDCP technology, implemented in Crimson drivers. Thus not a h/w issue. And it also looks like AMD is not going to do anything about it, they are just not interested.

Interesting find - appreciate you bringing that to light. Not really the same problem you are having, though.

The issue in the link you posted deals with DVI and 144Hz vertical refresh rate, and disappears when the monitor is set to 120Hz or lower. Your monitor caps out at 76Hz vertical refresh rate according the the specs page for it. Interestingly (and possibly purely anecdotal), all of the people reporting problems in that thread were using Benq monitors. They did suggest that going from Display Port to DVI might correct their issue, and that might for you as well.

Monoprice definitely sells DisplayPort to DVI adapters and direct cables - might be worth trying one out, they're cheap and useful to have around even if it doesn't turn out to help with this particular issue.

Back