RX 480 Vulkan Help

mstaab

n00b
I swapped out a 970 for a RX 480 and now Vulkan will not load in games that support it. IE Doom and DOTa2

I used DDU after removing the 970 and before installing the 480 but this (1) issue remains. I have reinstalled AMD drivers also.

There is zero information about failed installs of Vulkan that I can find so I am reaching out here.

On the plus side this card is running much better than the 970 under DX and OGL on my aging system and I love it so far.

I do have Vulkan folder in the Program x86 folder as I should

Any ideas?

Thanks

This is what i get when running the info tool in the Vulkan folderand appears to be a version conflict

===========
VULKAN INFO
===========

Vulkan API Version: 1.0.17

WARNING: [loader] Code 0 : Registry lookup failed can't get layer manifest files
INFO: [loader] Code 0 : Found manifest file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamOverlayVulkanLayer.json, version
"1.0.0"
ERROR: [loader] Code 0 : Registry lookup failed can't get ICD manifest files, do you have a Vulkan driver inst
alled
Cannot create Vulkan instance.
C:\releasebuild\LoaderAndValidationLayers\demos\vulkaninfo.c:675: failed with VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER

Last edited:
Make sure that you are running these:
Crimson Edition 16.8.2 Hotfix.
Desktop

Make sure that you check all the items when you install the driver at least for the first time. Afterwards you can uninstall stuff like Raptr and Plays.tv.

Thanks for the cagey,

Tried that and no dice, even installed the 16.8.3 drivers last night. Radeon settings shows all drivers and api's present.

I think I am going to have to do a fresh install if I want this corrected. I don't get why the Vulkan info test points to a Steam directory. If I uninstall Steam is straight fails on the first test.

Do you know of any Vulkan test demos that can just be run on their own? Something not Steam related

Here is an Nvidia demo. Download it then extract it. Click through the first folder with a bunch of numbers. In the next folder there will be another folder "ThreadedRenderingVK". Extract that. In that folder will be a ThreadedRenderVK application. Make a shortcut to it. In the shortcut you created, and under the Shortcut Tab, you will see Target. Add a space and -wsi to the end of the link in there. Apply the changes and launch the shortcut. Should be some schools of fish swimming around.
Threaded Rendering Vulkan Sample

Totally sorry for the hassel

I got the folder and only see these "threadedrender" files in the folder with a bunch of other misc files.

ThreadedRenderVK.cpp
ThreadedRenderVK.h

Neither work, what am i missing here

thanks

Have you removed and reinstalled the Vulkan Runtime Libraries yet?

Yes, multiple times I believe

Are referring to VulcanRT that is installed with the AMD & nVidia driver installs?

Sounds like DDU may have screwed something up. If possible, I would do a system restore point to before you ran the DDU, just remove the Nvidia drivers the normal was and installed the latest AMD drivers.

Too late for a restore, I did a system refresh after changing cards trying to fix this.

I think I'm going to have to wipe it to get it to work.

Shame to because it runs really good as is but I cannot stand having things not work totally correct.

can you right click and copy your installed components?

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0830.1646.28334
Driver Packaging Version - 16.30.2511.1003-160830a-306357E
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1564
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1209
OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13447
OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.6.0
AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.136
AMD Mantle API Version - 98309
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.0.3
Vulkan Driver Version - 1.2.0
Vulkan API Version - 1.0.17

are you missing anything from 16.8.3?

Looks same as yours.

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0830.1646.28334
Driver Packaging Version - 16.30.2511.1003-160830a-306359E
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1564
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1209
OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13447
OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.6.0
AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.136
AMD Mantle API Version - 98309
AMD Audio Driver Version - 9.0.0.9910
Vulkan Driver Version - 1.2.0
Vulkan API Version - 1.0.17

I reinstalled win 8.1 and it still does not work. However I did not reformat the drive and used the reinstall Windows from the recovery option. I am not going to worry about it until I find something that will benefit from it. I have the XFX DD from BestBuy and this card runs awesome in this system, don't laugh.

9500+ @ 1325 in Firestrike: I scored 9 528 in Fire Strike

Please note the system specs w/DDR2 RAM

Sounds like it related in some way to windows 8.......We have noticed AMD putting Win 10 drivers first.You should at very least report it to them just in case their unaware

I have the full version of Doom and Vulkan ran on the 970.

On the 480 I am getting a crash at launch when setting Vulkan mode and have to delete the doom.cfg file to get it launch again in OGL render

Again this all after a fresh OS install.

Doom runs at over 120 fps just fine on my RX 480 under Vulkan. When I hit F12 for Steam to save a picture, the game locks up. There is a serious bug in Windows 10 where if you have your Windows install set to install apps and temporary files on a secondary drive from the one that Windows is installed on, then the OS will crash and burn. Basically I need to reinstall Windows 10 to fix this issue. So I'm not going to blame the game for the Steam screenshot functionality being broken.

Doom runs at over 120 fps just fine on my RX 480 under Vulkan. When I hit F12 for Steam to save a picture, the game locks up. There is a serious bug in Windows 10 where if you have your Windows install set to install apps and temporary files on a secondary drive from the one that Windows is installed on, then the OS will crash and burn. Basically I need to reinstall Windows 10 to fix this issue. So I'm not going to blame the game for the Steam screenshot functionality being broken.
see if the game bar Windows/G is able to take screenshots lol I had to uninstall the xbox app on mine cause it would cause UVD clocks while i was trying to game!

You guys sure it's not that "RAPTOR" software that AMD installs by default? I know it's not Vulkan but when I run the DX12 TimeSpy benchmark - the demo part of the benchmark (very first scene) just exits right away instead of running if I have RAPTOR installed and running.

Maybe try to uninstall it and see if it works?

Last edited:
I have a dual boot to Win 10 and will try that. I would probably be running Win 10 if they added WMC as an option but they won't and that is a topic for a different day.

I do not think I have Raptor installed but will check.

Thanks for the inputs!

yeah there are know issues with all sorts of game overlays. I would assume that steam overlay+doom is a no go. I don't enable any overlays and never install raptor or whatever its called and have only run into an issue once, with BF1 beta, when origin updated and enabled it's overlay. turned it off and it works fine. you may just need to wait for an update that addresses this issue but who knows how long that will take. as far as installing on different drive, that's how I run almost every game, OS on c: everything else on e: and have not had a single problem. windows shouldn't care where things are installed so maybe something else is going on. do you get any error messages during the "crash and burn"?

Microsoft issued a hotfix a week ago, but said that they were still working on more bugs. Basically I used the option in the OS to install all my games from the Windows Store onto another drive, and a few updates ago I started experiencing problems with my OS crashing. At least MS recognizes the issue already. ;)

Is dealing with Vulkan always like this? I've been out of the loop for a while and now it's like Vulkan this Vulkan that?

SpongeBob No, just that un/installing drivers in windows is very hit and miss, particularly with video card drivers, for whatever reason. Recently, I had issues installing my rx480 drivers too. Ended up having to clean, then install an older version before updating to a newer version, or else I'd have missing libraries and other resources.

One of the reasons I like Linux--with AMD at least, most things just work, and if you have intel networking you're all set (assuming no weirdness with the motherboard chipset). Yes, I know there are always disaster stories, and Linux isn't for everyone, and it's not for gaming "yet"... please nobody start a war.

Back