RX 480 Inventory

sleepybp

Limp Gawd
So who else is waiting for some 480 stock to come in? It looks like the inventory of 480's is even worse than the 1070 at release.
Any predictions on when we will see aib 480 available to order?

Plenty of RX480 in Europe.

It seems ever since Skylake, North America have been somewhat lacking in supply.

No less than four models have been available at Newegg or Amazon in the last two days. Just use a stock tracking website if you want a card.

currently the only one available on the egg is a visiontek@$350. i don't mind paying a bit of a mark-up but not a $110 mark-up.

"Arrives between July 19 and 22." Hardly "get it now," is it?

July 19th is four business days away, not bad for an arrival time of a hard to find product.

// pcgeekesq edited their post to note this was from a third party after I quoted it :p

Last edited:
I was in Fry's this last weekend and they only had two RX 480 in stock priced at 259 USD. They also had one 1070 for what it is worth. So they can be had, but at a bit of a premium it looks like.

Considering that 4GB cards aren't coming back to Newegg and you can't walk into a BB and have them order one, I think they're probably going OEM only. It's $240+ or wait for 470 now.

Reactions: NKD
like this
Not really low end to be honest. Those are perfectly mid range systems. RX 480 by no means a low end card.
How about low mid range since i would consider a 1070 to be midrange. The jump in performance with this gen on both AMD and nvidia's side has really messed with the clear low, mid, high tier delineations.

I think OEMs are eating up these cards as well. Anyone seen how many system makers have these cards integrated already?

rx 480, Desktop Computers, Desktop Computers, Computer Systems - Newegg.com

about 16 different models all with rx 480s and 5 of those systems are in stock. Looks like alot of these cards are going in to mid range prebuilt systems.

How come when Nvidia cards are out of stock, it's a paper launch. Then when AMD cards are out of stock, it's "OEMs are eating these up! These could go in so many systems!"

Do these same OEMs also not buy Nvidia cards or sown thing? Even though the 1060 is going to be in the same price class?

How about low mid range since i would consider a 1070 to be midrange. The jump in performance with this gen on both AMD and nvidia's side has really messed with the clear low, mid, high tier delineations.

LOL we can't make up our categories. RX 480 is not low mid range. A card of 400+ is not mid range it is performance category there. I think your standards are too high.

How come when Nvidia cards are out of stock, it's a paper launch. Then when AMD cards are out of stock, it's "OEMs are eating these up! These could go in so many systems!"

Do these same OEMs also not buy Nvidia cards or sown thing? Even though the 1060 is going to be in the same price class?

LOL I never said anything about nvidia cards. You are just taking this too personally. Newegg and Amazon both had stock today but they sold out. Yea AMD is not supplying a whole lot either no doubt. But I have seen this card in more systems than 1070's . That is simply because the price range is totally different.

Any card that can completely max out 1080p in every new game available is not a budget or "low-mid range." Judging cards solely by price point with the new 14/16nm process is outdated thinking.

Any card that can completely max out 1080p in every new game available is not a budget or "low-mid range." Judging cards solely by price point with the new 14/16nm process is outdated thinking.
Actually no it isn't. Price point determines if it is budget or not. Also by that thinking any card that could hit 800x600 with maxed out settings can not be budget or low end/mid range because there was a time you had to buy a high end card to due that.

Actually no it isn't. Price point determines if it is budget or not. Also by that thinking any card that could hit 800x600 with maxed out settings can not be budget or low end/mid range because there was a time you had to buy a high end card to due that.

I completely disagree. The 1060 and 480 are much closer (percentage wise) in performance to the high dollar cards than ever before. We have reached a point of diminishing returns between tier 1 and tier 3 GPU's.

I completely disagree. The 1060 and 480 are much closer (percentage wise) in performance to the high dollar cards than ever before. We have reached a point of diminishing returns between tier 1 and tier 3 GPU's.
You make no sense. Tiers are determined by price point and performance. These are budget cards because they are priced in a budget tier . Yes they are higher performing, but you set an arbitrary performance standard by saying nothing 1080p and above can be considered budget. It is expected that all tiers of cards will continue to get better and better, we are just now getting to a point where many of the cards are pushing past 1080p as a baseline in the same way we got past 800x600 or 1024x768.

You make no sense. Tiers are determined by price point and performance. These are budget cards because they are priced in a budget tier . Yes they are higher performing, but you set an arbitrary performance standard by saying nothing 1080p and above can be considered budget. It is expected that all tiers of cards will continue to get better and better, we are just now getting to a point where many of the cards are pushing past 1080p as a baseline in the same way we got past 800x600 or 1024x768.

Have to agree here. Budget is <= $150. The $200 point is where you can (now) say you can max out your stuff on the most prevalent monitor type out there (and represents as high as a budget gamer will likely go). Remains to be seen if the 1060 will be worth a $300 price tag. The 1070 will eventually settle back into the spot formerly held by the 390x when inventories rise, representing the beginning of the performance/top 1% segment. There is no pricing replacement currently for what was the 970/390 price point.

There is no pricing replacement currently for what was the 970/390 price point.
This is what I find interesting is the lack of cards in that price point as it is you buy a 200-300 dollar card or a nearly 500 dollar card nothing in that middle ground. This is where AMD could make a splash by releasing a 490 card in the $350-400 range.

Was referring more to the fact that 4GB variations seem to be dropping off the etailers now. The 8GB cards can still be had, but it seems the $199 sku is gone and not coming back for several traditional outlets.

Was referring more to the fact that 4GB variations seem to be dropping off the etailers now. The 8GB cards can still be had, but it seems the $199 sku is gone and not coming back for several traditional outlets.

I see now, makes sense the 4GB card would be titled towards lower margin OEMs until the medley is fully saturated with 8GBs.

Well another reason is since this thing is out about 4gb is flashable to 8gb. I don't think we are going to see 4gb cards for a while. Seems like shit load of people will be doing the flashing since its basically same card. I think AMD just sold a few to say yes we did sell 4gb cards for 199 at launch. So looks like they are still making decent margin on these cards if they are frickin selling the 8gb model as 4gb.

Prior to the 16/14nm process the "budget" cards could not remotely come close to maxing out the latest games at 1080p, agreed? With the new process launch these budget cards (1060/480) can not only max out the very latest games at 1080p, they are decent 1440p performers as well. The price-to-performance paradigm has shifted.

Prior to the 16/14nm process the "budget" cards could not remotely come close to maxing out the latest games at 1080p, agreed? With the new process launch these budget cards (1060/480) can not only max out the very latest games at 1080p, they are decent 1440p performers as well. The price-to-performance paradigm has shifted.

I do agree. I think RX 470 will probably be even killer deal for a lot of people. That thing should be a decent 1080p card. All for 150.

yes and now a card that can do 1080p will be the floor

yes and now a card that can do 1080p will be the floor

A card, just like the 1060 and 480, that will crush 1080p at max settings in the very latest games for only $250. Neither the 1070 or 1080 will come close to max 4K game play. So the bottom and top have been pushed closer together with this new generation of GPU's. The big dollar cards will nearly max out the latest games at 1440p while the 1080/480 can play them at the same resolution at lower settings......costing $200-$300 less, diminishing returns with this latest generation.

A card, just like the 1060 and 480, that will crush 1080p at max settings in the very latest games for only $250. Neither the 1070 or 1080 will come close to max 4K game play. So the bottom and top have been pushed closer together with this new generation of GPU's. The big dollar cards will nearly max out the latest games at 1440p while the 1080/480 can play them at the same resolution at lower settings.
I still am not sure how that changes the fact that we will always have low/mid/high/enthusiast tier cards. The 1060 and 480 are clearly midish cards priced closer to the budget tier. This is a weird argument over semantics.

I think I understand your point, but some are getting lost because of the lack of context. Yes, the new cards on new process are bringing more performance and maxing out at 1080p - in current games, most likely not a year from now. This in itself isn't revolutionary or noteworthy, it's simply business as usual: technology evolves, things get faster.

I think the context of your point is that, unlike previous mentions of 480p, 600p, 720p... this time despite 1440p and 4K, the great majority of users are at 1080p and will likely remain at that resolution for a long time. It is a new case of "good enough": more is great, but 1080p gets the job done very well. Since resolution is remaining stagnant, with the development of new cards getting faster, we can now get the "diminishing returns" you mention in the context of 1080p. Who cares if a GTX1080 can run a game at 240fps if you have a 1080p60 monitor? The 1060/RX480 will run it at 60fps and they'll both look the same in that 1080p60 monitor. In previous years, as GPUs got faster, most people often got newer, better monitors because the GPU could drive more, so why not. In previous generations, you got a new GPU, eventually upgraded a monitor because 480p, 600p, 720p... didn't quite cut it.

Now we're stuck - by choice - in 1080p. The great majority of users don't buy new and better monitors anymore because 1080p is good enough; specially for the price (there's $99 22" 1080p IPS screens out there...). Thus, the lower end cards have become great value as they run games maxxed out at a resolution the great majority deems more than enough. That's where I see the diminishing returns you mention - at 1080p - that at the same time, close the gap between low and high end cards - at 1080p - for the effective benefit of the now democratized 1080p60 resolution.

In light of that, gaming will only get cheaper for those of us on 1080p60 from now on. I love 1080p on my 22", I don't need more resolution than that (though once this Dell dies I'll be looking for an ultrawide 1080p screen), so if cheap GPUs will drive that at ~60fps from now on... yay, I no longer need to spend $400 on a GPU; $200-250 will do! More money left for beers :)

Last edited:
Not semantics, statistics. $250 cards have dramatically closed the performance gap with the $600 cards. Both groups max out 1080p with the newest games, both groups can play at 1440p at reasonable framerates. 4K is still sketchy even with the 1080 (1070 forget about it).

Isn't this a good thing?
It is a good thing still does not change they are budget cards.

It is a good thing still does not change they are budget cards.

If you ask me, the $200 isn't budget, it's low-mid. Budget is the $100-150 range, close to impulse buy. $200 isn't much but it's a lot for many people, hence the low range, not budget. $250 is /low-mid. $300 is mid. $350 is mid-high. $400 is high. $500 is enthusiast.

Of course the frame of reference changes depending on how much money you make, thus the value of money is different to each of us. For the great majority, though, $200 on a piece of hardware ain't anything close to budget. It's low but still substantial. If you make ~$2000 a month, that's %10 of your salary. That ain't a budget purchase, that's ten percent of your monthly spending power. That's a lot. And that's assuming you make 2K a month. The great majority of people hover around low 1K a month. Suddenly that $200 is ~%20 of your monthly living cost. That ain't budget, by a mile.

Back