RX 480 - cooler then ever

Susquehannock

Supreme [H]ardness
From day one my MSI RX 480 gaming X core temps topped out around 76 Celsius during heavy gaming and stress tests. Not unusual. In recent weeks it has been creeping into the 84-C range.

With state of bloated card prices and pro-rated warranties, decided to bite the bullet, void my warranty, and take a look. Glad I did. Gotta say I am rather disappointed in how poorly the TIM was applied. Thick as a dime in spots and did not fully cover the chip. Plus it has dried out except for a small puddle of separated liquid

Applied some Shin Etsu X23 paste in usual manner then reassembled. Resulted in an immediate 12 degree drop to 72-C under same loads and ambient temps. Should get even better once things settle in.

So, has anyone else here had similar experience with their card recently?

paste1.jpg
paste2.jpg
sticker.jpg

Last edited:
Your warranty is fine. This just lets them check of you physically damaged something by taking it apart in which case they will void it, but if you send it back in original condition there is no problem.

Your warranty is fine. This just lets them check of you physically damaged something by taking it apart in which case they will void it, but if you send it back in original condition there is no problem.
Good to know. Figured it was void if sticker was damaged.

If I remember correctly- that sticker does not apply to the US market so you should be still good with the warranty.

A trick if you are OCD like me and want the stickers looking like new is to use needle nose pliers. With pliers you can turn the screws easily w/o breaking the seal. Those screws are never torqued heavily and should never be torqued heavily so they are easy to turn.

And yea, those stickers are not legal in the US and instead are for foreign countries where they can pull shit like that against their customers.

A trick if you are OCD like me and want the stickers looking like new is to use needle nose pliers. With pliers you can turn the screws easily w/o breaking the seal. Those screws are never torqued heavily and should never be torqued heavily so they are easy to turn.

And yea, those stickers are not legal in the US and instead are for foreign countries where they can pull shit like that against their customers.
Was going to do that but could not easily find my small needle nose pliers and said F it.

You are right about the screws of course. They are spring loaded for a reason.

I've done this on all my cards and also make sure the screws are good and tight. I've had loose from factory several times.

Back