RX 470 8GB @ $206 or GTX 1060 6GB @ $235?

NoyBoy98

n00b
Last edited:
should be a poll.
470 is my vote.
I have two RX480 and a 1060GTX in my house and I wish I had waited and bought 3 470's...

This is assuming you aren't going above 1080.

should be a poll.
470 is my vote.
I have two RX480 and a 1060GTX in my house and I wish I had waited and bought 3 470's...

This is assuming you aren't going above 1080.

Thanks for the insight. I def won't be going above 1080 anytime soon. I mainly play eSports games like Overwatch, League of Legends, etc., but would like to play some of the more graphically intensive games. This is going into my first build in 10+ years.

Can you comment specifically why you prefer the 470 over the other cards?

If you're playing older titles, or FPS games running on older versions of DX, you're better off with an nVidia card. I personally would take a 480 over a 1060, for the games I play but not a 470 over a 1060.

1060 is probably the better card, but you could argue the 470 is a better value for the price.

I have a 470, but I haven't done too much gaming with it. In the tests I did run, it did pretty well at 720P.

Unfortunately, due to a bug in the AMD driver, I can't use the 1080p mode on my (720p) projector. DSR wasn't working either, so I couldn't do much testing beyond that.

without question the 1060 is the better value 30 dollar difference?i wouldnt even consider a 470 at that point

I really do feel you here. What if I added in a 4gb RX470 @ $170ish? Would the 4gb be the better value?

If eSports only? Yes, definitely. Both the 480 and 1060 are overkill for any of the eSports games in there (at 120+fps, too), so a RX470 @ $170 is a great value.

If you want to play intensive games at good frames, go for the 1060.

I'd take the 1060, even if you play only eSport titles. Once you've experienced really high frame rates on eSport titles it's very hard to go back to 60FPS.

FastSync and 200+ FPS FTW, especially if you're any bit competitive.

I got the gigabyte 1060 and i'm pretty happy with it.Don't look at it only from a fps perspective.Even Deus EX has an extra 5-10 fps over the 1060,and the game is AMD partnered.Most games run about the same or better on the 1060.I looked at the features too.Nvidia gives me shadow play,CUDA cores for encoding,DSR,Ansel ,every streaming software out there supports nvidia better.Nvidia offers you just so much more , for me it just made more sense to go for the feature packed card over 5 fps more in "some" games.

Where can you buy a1060 for 30 more than a 470?' If u can, that changes things.
When I was buying 480's, the 1060's were 30 more than the 480...

Where can you buy a1060 for 30 more than a 470?' If u can, that changes things.
When I was buying 480's, the 1060's were 30 more than the 480...

Take a look at the product links in my OP. Jet has a 15% off code up to $30 for your first three orders. The GTX1060 is $235 after discounts, and the RX470 8GB is $205 after discounts.

damn...
I guess I got lucky getting my reference Powercolor 480 8GB's for $239...

I thought there were supposed to be reference 470's with 8GB for $199 but it would seem they don't exist.

I rescind my previous recommendation. For that price, the 1060 is the no brainer.

I bought 4 cards total this gen..

1070 for my Workstation (1440P)
1070 for my Living Room / VR setup (1080P and Oculus)
RX470 for my Son's PC (1080P)
RX470 for my Son's Other PC (1080)

The 1070's and the 470's are the best bang for the buck this GEN IMHO!

Paid 180$ for the Sapphire Nitro+ RX470's with 4GB from Jet.com with the TRIPLE15 coupon.. The GTX1070's were the MSI Founder Editions for 449$ (wished I waited till the 400$ ones came out), looks like there aren't any more availability problems with the 1070 stateside, our local fry's (Fremont, and Sunnyvale California) had boxes and boxes of them, and some were even priced at around 390$ (open box return, but easy enough to test and return if something's wrong). RX470 and RX480 availability doesn't really look like it has gotten better locally.

Last edited:
Nvidia gives me shadow play,CUDA cores for encoding,DSR,Ansel .

Only Ansel is Nvidia exclusive for the time being, as AMD with Gaming Evolved has everything else (it comes with Plays TV to save your gaming, and direct Twitch encoding too for streaming), encoding is also on AMD and even Intel, VSR is AMD's downsampling version. Also AMD supports HDR for when the monitors finally pop around and freesync is cheaper than gsync, so yeah those features are actually on par.

Right now most features for streaming are pretty close to being just the same on both camps, that is why price/performance tends to be the best metric.

At those prices i would consider the 1060 because 30$ doesn't sound that much more expensive, but like others said if you find a cheap 4GB 470 it will fit your needs easy.

470 has my vote as well.
The Polaris seems to have a eadge over nvidia on newer titles. Could be a sign that consoles investment is paying off.

The PowerColor Red Devil 470 has very good performance, match the 480 and overclock quite nicely as well. Check the [H] front page article :D

If you have any interest in VR, check the [H] reviews in the VR section. Warning: It's not pretty for AMD cards.

Of the [H] reviews for VR, only two are for completed, released games and one of those two is a wash for either card vendor. There isn't enough official content in final state to say anything about whether AMD should be totally avoided. Frankly, the tizzy seems to be more about needing to report something because all of the product launches are done for this year and no big game titles for a while to speculate on.

The GTX 1060 will be 20% faster at least. If they're the same price the GTX 1060 is absolutely the better choice. The RX 470 becomes a decent deal when its a 4GB version well under $200.

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

I eventually went for the Sapphire Nitro+ RX470 4gb from the Jet for $177. I don't have a 1440 monitor and probably won't have one for a while. For eSports titles, when I'm playing at 100+FPS already, an extra 20-30FPS doesn't really make a difference for me and that's what I figure the 1060 would give me. At benchmarks rivaling the GTX970 and performance nearly equalling the RX480 after overclock, price to performance wise it became clear to me that the RX470 was the way to go.

All of my parts come in this weekend and I should have a finished build by the middle of next week. I'll report back with my thoughts.

I honestly think your gonna be very happy.
There are only a couple of games that exceed 4GB at 1080 and what... you turn a couple settings down? psshhh

$177 for that kind of horsepower is the kind of bang for the buck I was talking about at the beginning of the thread.

Back