Running the math on the dells

Joined
Apr 3, 2006
Messages
53
I'm getting a new monitor as a grad present to myself. It's going to be used for daily use, cad, programming, imaging, etc. I was looking at the dells cause they're the cheapest and decent. Ideally I'd like to get the 3007, but I can't seem to justify it on a price basis. Here's what I came up with on a price per pixel.

30" 5.37e-4 $ / pixel
24" 3.47
20" 2.25
20"w 3.00
19" 2.07
17" 2.13

For the price of a 30", I could get almost 3 24"s or 5 20"s. It just seems rediculous 2650x1600 vs 6000x1600. The 24's have many more inputs though, so I could potentially use it for tv or hook them up to my pc jukebox.

Anyone want to place bets of dell putting their 3007 on sale for that canadian price last week here in the states? It seems like such a rippoff right now.
 
Well it's obvious the cost to manufacture one 30" LCD is significantly more than producing a 20". Plus it's the newest LCD so it's obviously going to cost a lot. Wait a few months and it should go down by a few hundred.
 
That's the way it goes with technology; buy it now and relish when it's new, or wait a few months to buy it at a lower price when it's "older" technology.
 
Not to mention you have to factor in the chances of them having potential more monitors that not only do not pass their own pixel checks or their warranty checks. Bigger monitor means more problems which means less profit for them in the end.
 
Back
Top