Running Solaris Express on Zacate?

forumator

Weaksauce
I've seen several threads where people mention wanting to run Solaris+Nappit on a Zacate board, but not much in the way of actual results. I'm wondering how well a 6 disk Raid-Z2 would run on it, and whether the Realtek 8111E is any good. Anyone been running a Solaris setup extensively on a Zacate board?

I'm running a 4x Hitachi 5x3000 Raid Z1 on a ASRock Zacate withe Solaris 11 Express + napp-it.

I'm new to this so not sure the best way to benchmark but I mounted a share (no dedup or compression or encryption) via nfs on my ubuntu system and then used dd to copy a 1 gig video from my NAS to /dev/null I got around 90mb/sec over gigE. If I copy use dd from my local /dev/zero to a test file on my server I get around 70-80 mb/sec.

I think my crappy ubuntu laptop likely limits the transfer rates since the laptop hard drive is slow.

If there are any benchmakrs I could run I would be happy too.

The NIC doesn't seem to support jumbo frames (maybe with some tweaking it would?), my switch does.

I think you probably mean MB/sec, no? (mb is generally taken to mean megabits...)

I'm running a 4x Hitachi 5x3000 Raid Z1 on a ASRock Zacate withe Solaris 11 Express + napp-it.

I'm new to this so not sure the best way to benchmark but I mounted a share (no dedup or compression or encryption) via nfs on my ubuntu system and then used dd to copy a 1 gig video from my NAS to /dev/null I got around 90mb/sec over gigE. If I copy use dd from my local /dev/zero to a test file on my server I get around 70-80 mb/sec.

I think my crappy ubuntu laptop likely limits the transfer rates since the laptop hard drive is slow.

If there are any benchmakrs I could run I would be happy too.

The NIC doesn't seem to support jumbo frames (maybe with some tweaking it would?), my switch does.

Good info..what about CPU usage during network transfer? Got any Windows systems to test transfer via CIFS?

I have a thread involving slow CIFS reads on the openindiana mailing list. I'm consistently getting 1/2 the read speed as vis NFS or iSCSI. No clues why yet. It isn't window either, since I see the same thing with the client being smbfs on centos 5.5.

I meant MiB/sec, my only windows system is old and doesn't have gigE so its not of much use.

I can try to benchmark the smb/cifs from ubuntu.

Good info..what about CPU usage during network transfer? Got any Windows systems to test transfer via CIFS?

CPU usage is around 50-60% on reading and writing, both around 90 MB/sec.

This is with no SLOG/L2ARC. I have 8 GB RAM

-s0rce

Back