Running Palm software as a domain user

I thought I'd get lazy and see if someone could answer this real quick and save me some time.
I have an attorney who has a real problem launching his Palm shortcut using "Run As" where he has to select his local admin account and enter his password every time he opens his Palm program on his laptop.
I figured I'd play with some permissions on his laptop, but wondering if anyone else has already figured out a way to get Palm to run without Run As for a user on a domain.

It probably isn't the best solution, but what we did for the one palm user we have was give his domain account, priveledges on the local machine (via XP's user manager). I think we tried granting him Power User, but some things still woudn't work. It think I ended up giving his account local admin privledges on his computer. Normally I wouldn't do this, but he a a very savvy user.

This was the first time I had used/installed any of the Palm software and was suprised how much of a pain it is to setup in a corp enviornment.

I'll be watching this thread - hopefully someone will have a better and more secure solution.

if you don't care about giving this user admin access to his local machine...

start run > control userpasswords2 > add his username w/ domain and choose to add admin priveledges

It's been a while so my info may not be accurate...

Install the software and drivers using an account with admin rights. Grant "Users" read/write permisions to the directory under Program Files. You may also need to do the same for the reg keys as well.

That's general idea of what I did on a machine last year. But, like I said, it's been a while.

Thanks much for the comeback.
Ezekial that looks like a pretty good idea. I'll give that a shot. I wasn't familiar with that trick and I did a little experimenting. Doing that appears to allow admin priviledge locally on the laptop and does not change his user status on the domain. Interesting that after I do that the user does not appear in the local users and computers group in administrative tools on the laptop. But if I run that command the user shows up with the permissions given.

MorfiusX I did the steps you mentioned except I didn't set permissions on the registry keys which I've had to do with a couple other programs. I'll give that a shot if the above doesn't work out.

I don't mind him running as admin on the laptop, but not on the domain. I just can't allow that.

I'll be sure to report back when I get it working. This guy is pouting a bit and making it difficult for me to have his laptop for a little while. It may be a day or two before I report back.

Just add the domain account to the local administrators group. You can get to that through computer management. That will give him admin rights to the single machine, not domain admin rights.

You could also create a small batch file with the "runas" command to launch the program. That way he won't have to remember the credentials to launch the program.

Mister Natural said:
Ezekial that looks like a pretty good idea. I'll give that a shot. I wasn't familiar with that trick and I did a little experimenting. Doing that appears to allow admin priviledge locally on the laptop and does not change his user status on the domain. Interesting that after I do that the user does not appear in the local users and computers group in administrative tools on the laptop. But if I run that command the user shows up with the permissions given..
yes, that is right... as MorfiusX said you are adding the domain user to the local administrators group.

all this does is as it sounds... makes XXXX domain account, a local adminstrator upon login.

If you make another account on the machine, with the same username as the domain account, it will thus be treated as a 100% different account as it's locally based and not domain. Which includes a fully unique documetns and settings folder.

Problem resolved. I gave the user admin permissions on his laptop and then had to re-install the Palm program. I had to re-install the software because it was generating an error message when I would try to open. Apparently some registry keys tied to his local account. Re-installing while logged into the domain fixed the problem.

Thanks for the input gang.

Back