Running not-so-similar DIMMs on an i865PE board in dual channel mode?

Phoenix '97

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm considering getting an i865PE-based board (AI7 in particular) and I was planning to get two sticks of 256MB PC3200 initially, and leave two slots open for upgrading to 1GB later when I need it. However, the sticks I buy later on will probably not be the same as the ones bought initially. The question is, how do such boards handle not-so-well-matched DIMMs as in the case above? I will probably be using a 533 MHz FSB processor initially and doing some "light" overclocking with "conventional" cooling so I probably won't be pushing my memory to 200 MHz anyways. Can such boards handle four DIMMs like that at say, 166 MHz in dual channel mode?

You can try overclocking them separately until you find their max limit...then put them both together once you got the idea to where they can both manage the clocks.......there's no harm in trying.

AFter oc'ing them seperately to find the max limit of each, then when you put them together, your max system oc will be limited by the slowest dimm you have.

yha jes make sure u stay with the same Company that you buy from so if u buy Corsair stick with corsair... mixing brands is not a good thing.. but most of the other stuff said earlier is true... for OC'in you will be limited to the slowest chip.. if ure gonna do some OC'in stick with good Namebrands... havent heard too many problems with versions of certain chips mixed with others.. but then again if u have that big of a deal.. u could always use that Lifetime warrenty and have them replaced ;)

I've done the dual channel thing with two different manufacturers of ram. It's not an easy thing to do. They'll each have different capabilities but it can be done. Although I don't recommend it.

What about going to 2GB with my Asus board and getting the same Corsair RAM except no pretty lights this time?

I'm doing it right now with some Ocz and Corsair ram sticks,4 512 meg sticks.2 from each
company,it works,but flakes out every once and a while.18x190 @ 2-2-3-6

Manny Calavera said:
I'm doing it right now with some Ocz and Corsair ram sticks,4 512 meg sticks.2 from each
company,it works,but flakes out every once and a while.18x190 @ 2-2-3-6

Are you able to run the memory at 200 with more relaxed timings? Or is the processor limiting you?

Back