Running Network Cable - Pricing

jocooper

Limp Gawd
We are looking to have the walls at our new store in Toledo, OH wired with network cable.

Does anyone have an idea what I can expect to pay? I have had some people quote $100 per cable... one person quoted $250 per bank of 4 cables.

Is there a standard rate I should use as a rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Are you having someone do it, or are you buying in bulk and running it yourself?

If you're have someone do it, watch them close. Make sure it's done right. As far as pricing, I'm not sure. Our building was done just before I got here, and that was 3 years ago anyway so I'm sure prices have gone up.

That's not bad...around my parts...125 per drop is common. Naturally with double and quad boxes it's cheaper overall for a section.

I am having someone else do it since its at a remote location.The guy I am leaning towards was recommended by the internet provider and has a clean record at the BBB.

I deal with cabling vendors coast to coast. It really varies. One of the biggest parts you need to know is if it's union labor. Places like NY, PA, etc. use union labor and they get anywhere from $85-$225/hr regardless of what the job is.

Typically I see between $225 & $275 per drop. Our drops consist of 2x CAT6 data or 3x CAT5e.

What you want for parts will also make this cost fluctuate. We typically use all Ortronics patch panels and jacks. They are some of the most expensive, but quality is better then the Leviton stuff Home Depot sells.

Where are you in Toledo? I am a networking student at UT and I do a lot of cabling work on the side. I am from Cleveland and have done this kind of work for several years. PM me with some details if you are interested. I charge 25 dollars an hour.

Anyone with any similar info for Eastern PA? My brother's looking to put in three drops in his house that's currently being built.

Anyone with any similar info for Eastern PA? My brother's looking to put in three drops in his house that's currently being built.

Check with a local electrician, most of them now days do low-voltage (network, fire alarm, security) in addition to power wiring.

Just make sure he asks if they have proper test equipment. Not a continuity test, but a real cable test like a Fluke LAN meter, etc.

Any monkey can run cables, but if it can't be tested it's about useless. A sound network starts with a solid Layer 1.

Back