Running Linux Mint on server hardware

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Works pretty damn good. I was going to build a new modern up to date Linux box to usher in the new year but decided to go with a server build since I already had most of the HW.

Case Fractal Design R5
Motherboard Supermicro X9SRH-7F (on board SAS HBA is a plus)
CPU Intel Xeon E5 2697v2 ( 12 core 24 thread base 2.7GHz turbo 3.5GHz)
Ram 64GB DDR3 ECC RDIMM (plenty of room to expand if needed)
Video card Nvidia GTX 750Ti
Boot drive 1TB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
Additional storage Samsung 1.92 SSD, SK Hynix VK1920GFLKL 1.92TB ssd and a Toshiba 1.6TB SAS SSD

I don't game so this box is overkill for my needs but like I said, I already had most of the parts. It's rock solid stable and as fast as I ever want to go.

I did have to buy a USB DAC to get sound but that was cheap.

Attachments

• DSC00174.jpg
    DSC00174.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice build :) I'm not too surprised that any decent/maintained distro of linux supports hardware that old though :).

Right on. Using as a server or desktop? My last build was from the same era and was still great for everything short of high end gaming. Lots of legs left in 10 yr old equipment for basic PCing.

I did a similar thing in 2017, moved the board from the Intel rackmount tower into my old Corsair Air 540.
It was a really really tight fit, had to drill new holes for studs for the motherboard holes and use slim 20mm front fans since regular sized fans would hit the ram stick locking tabs.
Also stuck a Soundblaster ZX for sound, WD USB3 card for USB3.0, and EVGA GTX 960 FTW, and a pair of the new at the time Intel AIO coolers.
Dual E5-2670 8 core 16 thread procs, 128GB DDR3 ECC Ram.
IMG_1695.JPG

I'll be trying to see if it still works after being engulfed in smoke and soot from a kitchen fire last year at a friends house who bough it from me 3 years ago.
IMG_6324.jpeg

Right on. Using as a server or desktop? My last build was from the same era and was still great for everything short of high end gaming. Lots of legs left in 10 yr old equipment for basic PCing.

Using it as a desktop, my daily driver. Takes a bit longer to boot but only have to wait once a day.
I did a similar thing in 2017, moved the board from the Intel rackmount tower into my old Corsair Air 540.
It was a really really tight fit, had to drill new holes for studs for the motherboard holes and use slim 20mm front fans since regular sized fans would hit the ram stick locking tabs.
Also stuck a Soundblaster ZX for sound, WD USB3 card for USB3.0, and EVGA GTX 960 FTW, and a pair of the new at the time Intel AIO coolers.
Dual E5-2670 8 core 16 thread procs, 128GB DDR3 ECC Ram.
View attachment 541860

I'll be trying to see if it still works after being engulfed in smoke and soot from a kitchen fire last year at a friends house who bough it from me 3 years ago.
View attachment 541861

Here's hoping you can resurrect it. Smoke damage makes for a tough cleanup.

Back