Running into trouble with Vista 5456

Blinkme323

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, tonight I attempted to install Vista build 5456 on my older desktop machine. Specs are as follows. Figured it was worth an upgrade because I was still running WIndows 2000 on it.

A64 3000+
MSI Neo2 PLainum s939
Nvidia 6800GT
7200rpm 18.6gb hard drive
5400rpm 9.3gb hard drive
2x256mb DDR400

I booted up the cd and went through the installation until it asked me where I wanted to install windows. I had 2 partitions on each drive, so I formatted and deleted everything. Then I made 2 new partitions with the full size of my hard drives.

I clicked next with my 18.6gb partition selected and it gave me the following error:

"Windows Setup is unable to locate a valid hard drive to store temporary installation files. To install Windows, create more free space on the hard drive or add a new hard drive."

Any idea why I am getting this error. According to this Windows need 14254mb free space and I have 19091mb free space on my selected partition. Is there anyway around this?

Are you doing the disk operations from the Vista setup disc? If the setup is able to detect the hard drives then you should be able to install. Just try to delete the partition and create it again or try formatting the existing partition.

I would make the partition bigger than 18gb but that is all the hard drive space I have. And I am doing these operations from the Vista installation which detects the hard drives. I did notice that when I clicked "load driver" it says a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing and I can insert a cd.

I installed 5456 on a 16.5GB partition last weekend. I did have another partition on the same drive and Vista might have used that for temporary files during install.

IMO, if you're going to install several applications even 18GB is pretty small. I almost ran out of space on the 16.5GB partition after installing Visual Studio 2005 and the Office 12 beta.

A new update. I noticed the minimum required space for an installation was 14254, so I deleted my partition and made a new one of that size. And guess what, it works. Next time I made one of size 15000 and I got the same error. Any ideas? Also can I use the unallocated space if I install it on a 14254 partition.

I've never been much of a HD space hog. My 10gb secondary should be enough for my files. My laptop has a 7900GS so I use that for gaming now. Every once in a while at work, I have a spare 20-60gb hard drive, so I'll eventually swap out my 10gb.

Ok, made a 14254 and 48xx partition and it worked. I went to install though and it got an error. Guess I should try to reburn the disc cause it got an error reading a file.

Ok, finally got it working. The first error came at 17% and while reburning, I tried it again. This time it failed at 26%. When the new disc was finished, it failed again at 17%. I did it again and it worked.

Just finished installing and I am typing from my Vista machine now. Seems pretty speedy actually considering it is somehow using over 800mb of ram.

Back