Running into a few unknown problems...

I've got no clue of where to start on troubleshooting whats going on, so I'll just start with a few symptoms that have been happening lately. First off, Im running a 2405fpw using a 6600 and everything works fine, except the taskbar has a "glitch" in it where it's shaded darker. When I rotate the screen the glitch moves straight to the middle of the screen, and leaves 2 blank squares that have the edges shaded dark. The squares are the same size as the normal icons that appear in the taskbar, so I'm assumning that they're being caused by something that starts their.

When playing games, I'll have my screen minimized by an invisible running program (no clue of what it is) that makes games horrible.

Any ideas of what to check? I doubt it's a hardware problem or even drivers for that matter, but even when IM browsing the internet I'll see something load up that shows a blank icon on the taskbar for ~1 second. Any clues?

anything wierd showing in task manager? ..

you could try running this and see if something fishy comes up ..as well as the normal barrage of spyware tools and virus scanning software both on your comp and free online scans .. maybe different set of vid drivers would resolve your issue ..

[F]old|[H]ard

I just did a restart, and everything seems to be working fine, except I'm still being locked out of a game every once in a while. Any ideas as to what might be locking me out, or how to find out what's causing problems?

After running spybot S&D and Ad-aware, I still havent really found what the cause is, but I've been rummaging through a few files in C:\Programs and came across a folder called overland

I've looked online and it seems to be a program that bundled with HP drivers, so it must have been installed on my system with my HP PSC 2410 printer, but I've got no clue of how to uninstall it. I don't know whether it's a necessary file for the operation of my printer, and considering the only other thing I've found that could be causing these no-name programs appearing on my taskbar every 15 minutes are hpcmpmgr.exe, which just so happens to be another HP process.

Any ideas on what to do? I've narrowed it down to one of these two programs, and considering that they're more than likely needed for the HP printer Im at a dilemma. I don't want to lose my printers functionality, but at the same time I don't want to be locked out of my games every 15 minutes by a program it's starting.

Grrr, I've always thought the drivers for this printer were sub-par especially with all the problems I've had.

can you uninstall all the hp bloatware software and then reinstall the printer thru the add printer wizard instead of thru the hp software..? or download just the printer drivers from hp?

..or run "msconfig" and turn off everything that says HP or the like by it under services (click the hide all microsoft box first) and everything under startup tab that is hp related ..reboot then see if you printer still functions and games run like they should..

[F]old|[H]ard

I just went ahead and deleted all of the program files and went ahead and disabled hpcmpmgr through task manager and it seems that hpcpmpmgr.exe was the problem.

If I still experience problems I'll see If I can do an install of nothing but the drivers, but I doubt it considering how many problems the drivers have given me before.

Thanks for everything though!

Back