Running hot

Myorthos

n00b
Ok, I have an ATI Radeon 9200 that I got for free (out of the box, it came as a deal with something else that i needed). The system i have it in has been running fine, although about two weeks ago i pulled it out and put in another fan and another hard drive. At that time, i noticed the card was hot, but didn't think much of it. Then I had to go back in and do some more work in there and I noticed it was running hotter than the rest of the system. I checked the temp in bios, it was about 45C (CPU fan, two other fans, power supply fan). Now the normal area of the case is cool, when moving my hand around, the motherboard feels cool, the chips heatsinks feels cool, all the drives are cool. But when I get within about 1 Cm of my video card, theres a drastic change in the air temperature, and when touching the heatsink, i actually burned myself.

I can only estimate that the cards running at about 75C if not higher. If anyone has a tool that can give me the temp info on the card, i can post the real numbers on here.

But yeah, why is the card running so hot, and what can I do, other than watercooling, to lower the temp.

The motherboard is a K8T800, 300 watt power supply. The only affect I've noticed (and this has started recently) is that after shutting the computer down for any reason, i have to let the card cool down before restarting or else my video doesn't kick in.

If you need any more specs, just post and i'll put them up for you.

Thanks

By the sounds of it your heatsink sounds likes its not seated properly? And with it probably being a passive HSF the card is overheating?
Best bet would be to invest in an aftermarket HSF for it and some AS3 and that should do the trick. ;)

Does the sink feel warm to the touch? If not look there.

if there isnt a fan on the heatsink(most 9200 dont expect for the gigabytes), screw in a 40 mm fan. thats gona fix everything :)

Ok, I moved an 80mm fan that was mounted in the front under my hard drives over and just laid it under the 9200 so it would blow across it. So far the problem is a lot lesser, although it still happens every now and then.

But yes, the heatsink is running hot, and no it doesn't have a fan, but I'm looking into getting one for it.

Thanks for the help.

Back