running headless

roz1281

Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2004
Messages
618
if i setup a pc running folding, them next time turn it on without a moniter plugged in, will it startup properly? Will changing the "Halt on: All errors" to "none" in the bios make it work?

I've only got one moniter and a couple spare machines here.
 
I'd recommend making the FAH directory Shared, assuming this PC is on your network, you would then be able to track its status/progress by viewing FahLog.txt and unitinfo.txt without ever having to connect a monitor.

EM3 - the popular FAH monitoring software, is also capable of displaying current progress/status and a nice little pic of the protein off of networked boxen running FAH.

Otherwise, if its not networked, you'll just have to hope for the best I guess.
 
Oh yea i'll definately share the directory so i can moniter it via my main PC.

I was just wondering if the PC would not boot up properly without a display, without being tweaked.

I could use a KVM but I don't want to buy one :) also the other PC will be pretty far away.
 
Most of my boxen run headless.

Some sever boards will post without a vid card but most MoBo's will need some type of vid output to post.

In the bios set it to ignore all errors so you dont need a keyboard-mouse attached.
Also set it to restart after a power loss.

If running Windoze....
Set it to switch vidio output off after 1 min & disable screen saver.
Either run Folding as a service or put a short cut in the startup menu.
Make sure you set it with the -forceasm switch so it restarts with SSE boost after a power cut,

Luck ............. :D
 
thanks for the tips!

I'll have an old geforce2 in it , just no moniter (unless there's trouble)

may I ask why set it to turn the moniter off after a minute? Does this stop win from sending signals to the video board?
 
half of my boxen are headless... I just use remote desktop or tightVNC to make changes.... and of course EMIII to monitor them....

They all have onboard video or a old crapper video card, and halt on: none..... comes in handy for tucking boxen away in corners or at least keeping SWMBO happy......


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
The only thing stopping a computer from booting properly are misconfigured/missing:

Mouse
Keyboard
Floppy Drive

The monitor had nothing to do with it. ;) So if you unplug everything, and leave the power/ethernet/monitor plugged in and it boots fine, removing the monitor it will boot exactly the same, just without you watching it. ;)

 
tsuehpsyde said:
The only thing stopping a computer from booting properly are misconfigured/missing:

Mouse
Keyboard
Floppy Drive

The monitor had nothing to do with it. ;) So if you unplug everything, and leave the power/ethernet/monitor plugged in and it boots fine, removing the monitor it will boot exactly the same, just without you watching it. ;)



most of the time... i've had the odd box that this didn't work on, but 98% of the time this is right.
 
Back
Top