Running ESX on i3 processor?

xtox

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
242
I'm looking to build one (maybe 2) machine with local storage & max it out with cheap memory (16GB). I'm going to be using it as a home lab away from work for running various windows servers. As I am looking at making this cheaply I am looking at the i3 540 processor, what do you think?
 
You might want to consider the newer AMD processors as you'd gain the opportunity to use ECC memory.

Not sure how much processing power you need, but I have the lowest end Athlon X2 250 (3Ghz, dual core, quite similar to the i3 540) in my home server and provides plenty of performance for those tasks, and lets me use ECC memory which is something you might want to consider if you're going to be running 16Gb.
 
You might want to consider the newer AMD processors as you'd gain the opportunity to use ECC memory.

Not sure how much processing power you need, but I have the lowest end Athlon X2 250 (3Ghz, dual core, quite similar to the i3 540) in my home server and provides plenty of performance for those tasks, and lets me use ECC memory which is something you might want to consider if you're going to be running 16Gb.

Yeah..but ECC isn't cheap memory. It's not crazy like it used to be but 16GB of ECC is still (percentage wise) a good bit more than non-ECC. I have to run ECC in my lab due to the board I chose but if it was up to me I wouldn't bother in a lab.
 
You might want to consider the newer AMD processors as you'd gain the opportunity to use ECC memory.
Not true. You can use ECC unregistered memory along with a Core i3.
Yeah..but ECC isn't cheap memory. It's not crazy like it used to be but 16GB of ECC is still (percentage wise) a good bit more than non-ECC. I have to run ECC in my lab due to the board I chose but if it was up to me I wouldn't bother in a lab.
Only ~30% more than regular RAM. Comes out to be $325 for 16gb of ECC DDR3 memory.
 
Back
Top