running copper between IDF's

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
long story short.
new construction, our building on our property
3rd party entity will occupy and have use of facility during weekends, while we have use during weekdays.

Because of 2 separate entities occupying the building we are pulling drops to IDF's, and both of our organizations will put in our own switches. Effectively 2 separate networks.
All our IDF's are usually interconnected by fiber, with a 25 pair 66 block pulled back from each IDF into our MDF core.
If copper connectivity is needed for something you just punch down on the 66 block however many pairs you need. easy.

However this entity has some kind of video system that is using copper as its transport medium. whatever. They want copper punched down on the patch panels, and then connect to other IDF's (not the MDF) in this new building. (a total of 3 new IDF's are being built as part of this new building)

I've not typically seen this method of inter-connectivity but they tell me they do it all the time. This is technically our building so I'm not sure if this is a battle I want to fight. Has anyone does this type before?
Ideally I'd like to tell them to just use our 25 pairs and tell them they need to figure it out. But that might piss them off and they might take things to the higher ups.

Sounds like they just don't have network equipment capable of fiber uplinks is all. Thus the reason they want copper between the IDF's. You COULD ask them if YOU supply the fiber -> coper transeivers if that'll work for them. I've done this before where we ran Fiber between our 2 buildings (in the air) and then had a Fiber -> Coper adapter at each end, because back then we had JUST switched from hubs to switches, so there was no way we'd have fiber capable switches... that'd be my bet as to why they want copper.

The video/data won't know the diff between copper/fiber, its just their equipment probably cant hook into fiber is all

video over copper, we need some more information. What are they currently using to accomplish this task?

The video is most likely IP. Should be easy to find a solution that fits both parties needs/wants if it is. Nothing a simple VLAN and dedicated port/drop from fiber switch to their switch won't fix.

It's not IP. As I said, it's literally a video signal (I'll assume analog or something) running over a copper ethernet line as its transport. I don't know much about their solution. All I know is they want 10 drops on the patch panel that runs to another 10 drops on the patch panel in another IDF. No lightning blocks or anything. Although it's staying in the plenum so I'm not *too* worried about grounding problems, but it still seems like a strange request.

I just don't understand why they can't be fine punching down on a 66 block.

Ideally I'd like to tell them to just use our 25 pairs and tell them they need to figure it out. But that might piss them off and they might take things to the higher ups.

What are the negatives your company will incur if you let them do it their way? What do you gain (or not lose, perhaps) by doing it your way? Do a cost-benefit analysis and bring it to a higher up yourself. If they give you the go ahead to tell them to do it your way, you've covered your bases and don't need to worry. If they go above your head, it doesn't matter, because you consulted someone above you and they sided with your position.

If you don't have any real reason not to do it their way, maybe it's not worth pushing back.

I just don't understand why they can't be fine punching down on a 66 block.

Well did you ask them? That would be a start.

I've already said just use a 66 block and they replied "but at other facilities we do it this way" :rolleyes:
It's not about a cost benefit analysis. We're paying for it either way since it's our building. The problem is a political one.
I need to balance consistency with the rest of our environment without appearing to be dictating to this outside organization.

The goal of this thread was to see if anyone else has run copper between IDF's in this manner and weather or not this is best practice.

It's not about a cost benefit analysis.

You should use cost benefit analysis to find an equilibrium between maintaining 'consistency with the rest of your environment' and 'appearing to be dictating to this outside organization', so that you can communicate your position to your superiors in a supported way.

As you said...

I've already said just use a 66 block and they replied "but at other facilities we do it this way" :rolleyes:

They quite possibly have the same goal in mind as you...they want to do everything the way they've been doing it, so that it's consistent. And that's likely the direction in which they're going to want to go unless you can do a particularly good job of convincing them otherwise.

The goal of this thread was to see if anyone else has run copper between IDF's in this manner and weather or not this is best practice.

So you find out that they way you suggested they do it is best practice, and go inform them of this fact. Despite this, however, they might very well say something like "Well we haven't had any issues at all at the other building doing it our way, so we'd still like to do it that way". And then what do you do? You can certainly try digging in your heels and 'being a dictator', but they'll likely just go above you. What I would do is 1.) Decide if it's something worth pushing back on, and 2.) If it is, translate the problem into a language your superiors will understand (i.e. cost benefit analysis) so that they're aware of why it's important to have them use your punch downs, so that you're more likely to get your way (and that is, after all, what corporate politics are about)....But it is of course your job, so you can do what you want.

Yeah they are using a cat5 CCTV balon. A cheezy way to do it, they are mixing power/video signal over the twisted pairs and can/will get feedback sooner or later. VERY bad way to do it. Either go IP cameras or just install siamese. BUT its their system. I'd say just do what they want but charge them for the extra runs. Put your fiber in for yourself.

Back