Running coax, USB, HDMI & network cables

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to set up a HTPC in my basement and run a HDMI cable, a USB extension and network line (pretty much directly above the HTPC) into a keystone wall plate behind my living room TV. Right now the coax comes up thru the floor in the living room, so in the process of running these lines I'm also going to clean up some coax runs in the basement and run a new coax line to the same keystone wall plate.

So I'm just wondering if there will be any issues with running / bundling these 4 cables together as they run up from the basement, between the wall and into the back of the wall plate?? I think coax needs to be run away from electric lines, but I wasnt sure if any of these other lines would interfere with each other??

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can run them together. Just not parallel with power lines.

12" separation between power and data bundles is the standard figure. Cross the two at 90 degrees until at least 12" separation is reached.

I would suggest running a IR extender as well. That way you can keep all of your equipment in the basement, and simply have HDMI and IR for video output and control.

BTW, there is a limit on how far USB will function without a USB-over-CAT5 unit or USB hub/repeater.

I would suggest running a IR extender as well. That way you can keep all of your equipment in the basement, and simply have HDMI and IR for video output and control.

BTW, there is a limit on how far USB will function without a USB-over-CAT5 unit or USB hub/repeater.

Yep, that's my plan. The HPTC will be in the basement pretty much directly under my living room TV. So the HDMI & USB cords etc will only have to be run a few feet. They'll go from the HTPC, up between the wall and out to a keystone wall plate behind the TV. Then from there just a couple of feet directly into the TV, receiver, etc. It'll definitely be less than the 15 max length for a USB cable.

I just wanted to verify that there wouldnt be issues bundling them together between the HTPC and the keystone wall plate. Thanks for the responses.

In one or 2 years I'm going to run cabling in my house also. I've decided not to use other cabling then cat 6.

Back