Running "chkdsk C: /F" and System File Check after forced restart - good idea or OCD?

• Thread starter Deleted member 273615
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 273615

Every time I am forced to restart my PC using the "Restart" case button because of some lock up, I always run "chkdsk C: /F", followed by a restart to start the process, and then boot into Windows and run System File Check.

Is doing that after reach improper/forced restart a good idea or just OCD? I simply do not want SSD errors or file system errors that may have occurred due to forced restart.

I'd say these days it's a little on the OCD side, but that's not always a bad thing. Then again I rarely have to do a force restart via the power button and if that's happening a lot it might be a bigger issue. If it isn't often then I say you're fine doing what you're doing. Windows is far more resilient than ever before and if you're on the real paranoid side I'd recommend weekly clones on a separate hard drive at the very least to ease the burden.

It's breathtaking how much relief you get once you are forced to use a backup and know it'll actually work. Takes away a lot of these little stresses.

Thanks!

I have Acronis True Image back up. I do it once per week, after I run OS updates, other software updates, check disk and system file check, file cleaning (CCleaner with CCEnhancer), registry cleaning and registry compacting (CCleaner and JV16 PowerTools 2014), and etc. It does let me breathe because I know if anything goes wrong, I can go right back to that exact state! The only problem is that I exclude games as they take too much space. I keep install files and installed game files for some games like BF4 on a separate storage drive, so I never have to re-download anything. With that said, I still format and do a clean OS re-install with latest integrated updates every 6 months or so. Windows 8.1 permissions always get messed up for some reason!

How often are you having to use the reset button?

I think I've used it once in 3 or 4 years and that was because my mouse and keyboard did not work and I forgot I could just hit the power button once to shut down.

If you're using it often then there's something wrong with what you're doing.

Back