Running cat6, anything else?

Paabs

n00b
Hello,
I'm running Cat6 to 3 bedrooms and a media room to our gameroom where the modem, router, and NAS are located.

While I'm running these, are there any other cables that I should run? None of the bedrooms have coax and I was thinking of running those also.

My A/V receiver is located in the media room (just in case I should run some wires to other rooms for any reason)

I am braving Texas summer heat in the attic and want to make the most of this :)

Thanks,
Paabs

Yes run coax, also run multiple runs of cat 6, when I did my house recently, I did 3 per wall jack, two for data, one for phone (which can be re-punched as data if needed). Also in bigger rooms think about putting a drop in more than one spot so you can rearrange/remodel, etc without too much trouble.

Always pull more than you think you need and absolutely pull coax.

I usually pull double what I think i need. Has come in handy plenty of times.

Also install some pull string in the attic that goto each drop location. If you ever find yourself having to brave another summer in the attic, you'll be glad you had those pull strings.

Hello,
I'm running Cat6 to 3 bedrooms and a media room to our gameroom where the modem, router, and NAS are located.

While I'm running these, are there any other cables that I should run? None of the bedrooms have coax and I was thinking of running those also.

My A/V receiver is located in the media room (just in case I should run some wires to other rooms for any reason)

I am braving Texas summer heat in the attic and want to make the most of this :)

Thanks,
Paabs

Whoa. Weird, doing the exact same thing, cept I am braving FL summer heat and the lowest pitched roof you have seen (damn you midcentury house!)

You want to run the following (you don't even need cat6 honestly)

Cat5 (for your data)
Cat5 (for misc things like an IR receiver/etc...)
Coax (Use quad shield)

Thats pretty much what we do. If you can, run yourself two extra cat5s (total of 3) so if you ever wanted to say do HDMI over cat5, you are defintly able to. Cat5 is cheap

You want to run the following (you don't even need cat6 honestly)

Cat5 (for your data)
Cat5 (for misc things like an IR receiver/etc...)
Coax (Use quad shield)

Thats pretty much what we do. If you can, run yourself two extra cat5s (total of 3) so if you ever wanted to say do HDMI over cat5, you are defintly able to. Cat5 is cheap

I think you mean Cat5e, Cat5 is only capable of 10/100MB, not 1000MB.

But you are right, Cat6 isn't really necessary unless higher voltages are needed or gigabit is needed for very long lengths.

I was thinking it's not much more for a box of CAT6, so why not?

What is the difference between 350 MHz Cat5e and 550 MHz Cat6?

Will we see switches in the next few years that tap into something in the Cat6 that will have higher speeds? Closer to the theoretical gigabit?

How many computers do you have in your house running at the same time? to you have a gig router? Mobos capable of Giga transer? I have at any given time between 4 desktops running and 3 or so laptops going, and if i start sharring movies or anything the whole networks just slows wayy down, and thats with cat5E, so if you plan to do alot of stuff/lan parties, id go with cat6 if you can spare the money

I was thinking it's not much more for a box of CAT6, so why not?

What is the difference between 350 MHz Cat5e and 550 MHz Cat6?

Will we see switches in the next few years that tap into something in the Cat6 that will have higher speeds? Closer to the theoretical gigabit?

Cat6 is capable of 10Gig, and the 350MHz Cat5e doesn't really exist. Do a wiki search on why it's so confusing.

But yeah, Cat5e should suit any home network needs. If you can get Cat6 for near the same cost, then there is no reason not to get it, but don't buy it just "because." ;)

How many computers do you have in your house running at the same time? to you have a gig router? Mobos capable of Giga transer? I have at any given time between 4 desktops running and 3 or so laptops going, and if i start sharring movies or anything the whole networks just slows wayy down, and thats with cat5E, so if you plan to do alot of stuff/lan parties, id go with cat6 if you can spare the money

If it slows down like that for you, it's not the Cat5e cable, it would be your router/switches or your server.

If you are on a 10/100MB network, yeah, that's a massive bottleneck for that many users streaming all at once (only if it's HD video though).

If you are streaming SD or HD content to everyone and the network is Gigabit, and it's bottlenecking, either your server or server's NIC isn't up to the task, or your router/switches are the bottleneck.

Even a poor gigabit connection to multiple computers should be able to stream HD content easily, even if each connection is eating 3MB/s.

Is there any point in running cat5e over cat6 now especially for a relatively small home installation? The price difference for the cables can't possibly be that high, I mean looking at monoprice the difference for 1000 ft is 23 dollars? I mean surely its better at this point to go with cat6 to be more future proof, rather then having to possibly rewire in a few years.

Is there any point in running cat5e over cat6 now especially for a relatively small home installation? The price difference for the cables can't possibly be that high, I mean looking at monoprice the difference for 1000 ft is 23 dollars? I mean surely its better at this point to go with cat6 to be more future proof, rather then having to possibly rewire in a few years.

+1 to monoprice, great prices on Cat6.

Also install some pull string in the attic that goto each drop location. If you ever find yourself having to brave another summer in the attic, you'll be glad you had those pull strings.

This.

Super handy and it makes it so easy to add whatever you need at a later time, plus you don't have to waste anything now - not that anyone has recommended anything unnecessary.

Yeah, I would go with Cat6. The price isn't that much more any more, and if they ever come out with something faster then the Gig for homes you'll be ready. At least you're not talking about running fiber..when I win the lotto.. :)

Yeah, as the others have said, if cat 6 is only a few dollars more, use that.

distance between the room and your AV? i'd put in 2nd room audio / video.

Even run speaker wire if the amp does mutli room.

I'm planning this too, but I'm limited to where I can run drops.
2 RG6 for coax and video
4-6 CAT 5e/6 for data, voice, or extensions (Video over cat5e?)
Label an unused Cat6 and that can be a guide for fishing more wires if needed. otherwise, you have a spare. I'd rather have extra cables in wall, then run out and be wishing for another drop...

I just have to decide if I wanna go through vents for some parts or punch holes in between walls and floors...

Thanks,
Paabs

I ran at least 2 solid core CAT 6 drops to every panel I put in, plus a coax to each I put in any bedroom specifically beacuse I never wanted to have any reason to possibly have to do it again.

I feel your Texas summer attic temperature pain.

Hard forum rocks! You guys rock. Lots of good answers. I thought about running audio, but saw on www.hdtvsupply.com all kinds of audio and video over Cat5/Cat6 products.

For now, my plan is
3 Cat6 drops and 1 coax per bedroom (x3)
4 Cat6 drops and 1 more coax in the meda room
4 Cat6 drops and 1 more coax in the game room (in 2 locations)

For a total of 17 Cat6 runs and 3 coax runs.

Because the price difference is minimal, I am going to go with Cat6.

I have a NetGear WNDR3700 does anyone have a recommendation for a gigabit switch they use?

I really would pull extra coax to your media and game rooms. It could come in handy later.

If you'll have the extra cable to do so it's a no brainer.

I think you mean Cat5e, Cat5 is only capable of 10/100MB, not 1000MB.

But you are right, Cat6 isn't really necessary unless higher voltages are needed or gigabit is needed for very long lengths.

Yes I mean cat5e... in todays world i shouldnt have to state "cat5e" but hey ya never know, lol... do they still sell regular cat5 ?

BTW there really is no DOWNSIDE to cat6 over cat5e other then the following

1) price - although its NOT much more
2) installation - this is why im not a fan of cat6... its just a lilttle more time consuming for installs, because theres that damn plastic seperator in between that you have to work with also.

Other then that, no real difference. Its also a LITTLE thicker, but not much. Its more durable also (i've maanged to pull apart a patch panel yanking on a cat6 cable so its definitly more durable)

We used cat5e in my new office, because of costs... we had maybe 20+ boxes of cat5e we ran (1000 foot spools each), and the costs were better... dont forget if you use cat6 you also need to use a cat6 patch panel and cat6 connectors and btw... cat6 connectors are not fun to put on (wall plates are easy of course)... so factor in those costs as well.

Yes I mean cat5e... in todays world i shouldnt have to state "cat5e" but hey ya never know, lol... do they still sell regular cat5 ?

Haha, yeah I think they do, but it sells for nearly the same price as Cat5e, so there really isn't a point unless you want to be uber cheap. ;)

Good luck with your install. I'm running shielded CAT6A through my house Wed. I wish I could run coax with the runs but I don't have the room the way I have to run it. Luckily each room is already wired with coax.

Good luck with your install. I'm running shielded CAT6A through my house Wed. I wish I could run coax with the runs but I don't have the room the way I have to run it. Luckily each room is already wired with coax.

Why do you need to run shielded cat6?

Why do you need to run shielded cat6?

I mostly definitely do not NEED to run augmented CAT6 (CAT6A). The short answer is because it's overkill. :D My background is Engineering - I like to over-engineer. But in all seriousness I chose it over CAT5/E due to performance reasons and because it would pose some interesting challenges (e.g., proper handling of the shielding in a residence). To properly deploy shielded cable, especially CAT6A, there are some interesting grounding issues one has to pay attention to. That is, at least in part, why after the low voltage wiring is finished I'm having an electrician come to wire an 20A isolated ground receptacle (for the rack equipment) and a separate insulated ground which will attach to the rack and in turn the shielded patch panel thus providing a direct route back to the ground bus in my main circuit breaker box.

Some good reading if you're interested in shielded CAT6A cable: http://www.siemon.com/us/standards/Screened_and_Shielded_Network_Cabling_Guide.asp & http://www.utp-vs-stp.com/web/Microsites/UTP-vs-STP/

Why not ? Ever see hdmi over ethernet on crappy cat5 cable ? cat6 shielded is perfect for a hdmi cable over a LONG stretch.

This is true and is another good reason although I don't think I will use it for that.

Last edited:
Back