Running Cat 6 near hot water radiator pipes?

trueimage

Limp Gawd
Is it ok to do this? Or what can I do to help shield the wire?

This is really the only way I can run the cat 6 without getting into some major work... the holes and path are already there to run exactly where I want it to - around the outer wall of my condo.

For most of the way, it will be fine, 2-3 inches away etc. but through the walls, the passageways get a little tight... and the pipes get hot.

Any ideas?

i've pulled cabling that sits near water pipes and it has been fine for over 2 yrs now.
I say you will be fine as long as the pipes don't burst :)

the pipe is hot to touch, i can't hold my hand on it...
using a meat thermometer (lol, it's all I had) it is 55-60 C

The cable says 75 C on it, but should it really be pressed against a 60 C copper pipe for long periods?

Although I haven't tried it, I don't see why you couldn't. The only thing I'd add is a bit of insulating material for when the pipes / cat6 comes into direct contact with each other.

wiki says that the PVC jacket for the cat6 cable has a melting pt of 212 C and a vicat softening pt at 85 C. Since water heaters can get up to about 165 F ( 74 C) you're getting close to where it would soften the plastic jacket, so I'd definately throw some insulation on it wherever it comes into close proximity.

Try it at your own risk... this is just my .02

Don't get PVC covered cable - get plenum-rated Cat6. That's the one with the highest fire safety rating.

The only difference with plenum is the insulation material of the conductors and the jacket. It will still burn, but the fumes are not toxic. Personally I would not run them extremely close to a hot water pipe, but it's up to you in the end. Is there any way you can take some foam pipe insulators and tape them to the pipe, that way there is a barrier between the pipe and the wire.

p2310543reg.jpg

The only difference with plenum is the insulation material of the conductors and the jacket. It will still burn, but the fumes are not toxic. Personally I would not run them extremely close to a hot water pipe, but it's up to you in the end. Is there any way you can take some foam pipe insulators and tape them to the pipe, that way there is a barrier between the pipe and the wire.

p2310543reg.jpg

I just bought some onf this, and some insulating "tape" today. The space through the wall is ver thin so I'll have to drill / cut a larger space maybe....

You can always see if you can find rugged outdoor hardened ethernet cables... these are operatable in extreme enviroments and are suitable for your application.

Sounds like you need a hot water access point :p
I would just avoid having it touch the pipe, well I wouldn't run it through
there but If you have too then maybe use some pipe insulation as said before.

I did some research, the outdoor cable is not rated for extreme heat. It has a gel in it that would probably melt and make things worse. 2-3 inches of separation from the hot water pipe should be fine with regular cable.

Back