Running an OS drive on the secondary controller

mryerse

2[H]4U
So I'm looking to built a new system and two of my goals are:

1. Large, preferably 6 drive, storage volume (using the cheapest 2TB drives I can find)
  2. SSD for the OS drive, maybe two of them

I'm looking at the X58/P55 platforms and a lot of them come with ICH10R controllers with 6 sata ports that can run raid 5, and some of them come with a secondary controller with two sata ports, such as Marvell or something similar.

Primary Question: If I put my OS drive on the alternate controller (i.e. not on the ICH10R), will I still be able to boot to it, and will the performance be comparable to using the ICH10R? Or is there considerable performance/functionality by using ICH10R for an OS drive over the secondary controller?

The reason I'm considering this is that if I put the OS drive on the ICH10R then that is one less drive I can put into the data volume/array, and I'd like to max it out with 6 drives.

Secondary Question Of course my preference would be to buy some kind of a NAS device that can always be on not requiring my to have my desktop on all the time in order to stream media to my tv/xbox/phone/etc. But what I've found is that most home class NAS solutions that support RAID 5 require that you purchase the drives WITH the enclosure, preventing me from getting good value on the drives. Maybe there is a home NAS solution I'm missing that I should be considering? I've seen all the Norco4020 setups with 16-20 drives, which I'd love, but I no longer live in my home (am renting it out) and don't want to setup a server rack in the garage of the condo I'm living in/renting, and all it's cabling.

Thoughts?

Don't do raid 5 using onboard chipset. Use an Add-on card with hardware parity calculation instead of a half-assed software solution.

I don't need high performance for my data volume, so unless your suggestion is for the unforeseen "Oh shit my drive broke and now I'm rebuilding my array", I'm not interested in using an add in card.

Back