Running a little slow...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 65081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 65081

Guest
I have a pair of 74gb raptors in RAID 0 that don't seem to be performing quite right for me. From what I have read and benchmarks I have seen, I should be hitting around 95mb /s drive index, but I am actually getting more like 72mb /s with a massive 19ms average seek time. Is there a bottleneck somewhere? If so, any thoughts where? It's the system in my signature.
 
What are you doing with the drives? Are you using an on-board controller? PCI controller? SATA?
 
FlatLine84 said:
What are you doing with the drives? Are you using an on-board controller? PCI controller? SATA?

I am using the NVRAID on-board controller, running them stripped. Them being raptors, they are SATA 150 10krpm 8mb drives.
 
Well, in all honesty it doesn't sound like they're that slow, but I would look at chipset drivers. You won't notice a real preformance increase with RAID-0 unless you transfer or deal with LARGE files a lot. In some cases you can notice maps in games load a little quicker, and apps with install a little quicker, but that's about it with RAID-0.
 
19ms? Should be under 10 :eek: Check cables, diagnostics. You may want to look into your BIOS version as well as your Raptor firmware revisions. The most thorough test would be to backup, break the RAID-0 array, and benchmark each drive indivdually. If htey are good alone, then the problem is a BIOS or driver issue.
 
DougLite said:
19ms? Should be under 10 :eek: Check cables, diagnostics. You may want to look into your BIOS version as well as your Raptor firmware revisions. The most thorough test would be to backup, break the RAID-0 array, and benchmark each drive indivdually. If htey are good alone, then the problem is a BIOS or driver issue.

Yeah, the 19ms is insane. I am using the latest BIOS from ASUS (1013) which adds the latest NVRAID ( 4.84). I am also using the latest chipset drivers from nVidia (6.66). I have been using both drives quite successfully for 5 months or so but this is my first week with RAID 0 on them. I will run some diagnostics and switch out the cables, see if that helps at all. I was just hoping for something obvious in this situation :)
 
Back
Top