• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Running a 4P from USB Stick?

Core32

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
1,065
If this is a repeat question I apologize. My search did not turn up the answer I was looking for.
I have most of the components for the third rig here or in transit.
For the first two I used older/spare HDDs for the boot drive.
I have no more of those laying around but just bought a 32GB Patriot USB stick ($29) for my mobile data repository.
This thing is very fast compared to my older 8GB stick so my thought was to just run the new rig from one of these.
I believe 32GB should be plenty for 64 bit Ubuntu 10.10 and fah.
My question is what are user experiences and what negatives should I look out for?
Can/will it impact production much?
Thanks.
 
Im not sure how much it will affect it, but my san switch died in my test lab this week so I have each of those boxes booting from usb into ubuntu 10.10 folding smp and have been getting pretty close to the PPD numbers I have seen other people getting for these boxes. Im not sure how much io the bigadv units really have.
 
Cool. Thank you.
Anything I need to be aware of during the installation different from HDD installation?
 
So I cant really answer that, I installed ubuntu with via this method: http://www.overclock.net/t/1186703/...e-folding-flash-drive-with-remote-monitoring#

then installed the F@H 6.34 client i think based on what the horde faq said. I didnt install kraken or anything, and Im not so sure that if I reboot these machines I would save the changes I made. I didnt really look at wether I was booting as a livecd or what, as These machines are only going to be running until I find the time / money to get my lab back up.
 
You could always make a ramdrive and run f@h from there, you'd lose anything in progress on a reboot unless you saved it off the ramdrive but it would definitely be possible.
 
You could always make a ramdrive and run f@h from there, you'd lose anything in progress on a reboot unless you saved it off the ramdrive but it would definitely be possible.

No UPS installed for these rigs yet. Wouldn't want to risk deleting/loosing a WU to RAM.
Would you do this just for the speed vs. the USB speed?
These new sticks are pretty darn fast compared to my older HDDs.

 
Yeah, speed. But hey, if the USB stick is fast enough then that should be fine too.
 
I had a system booting up a LinuxForge image from a USB stick running 8 uni proc clients. This worked well until there were issues accessing the file system. It looked like the USB device was no longer accessible. I had to reset the system to bring it back up. This happened once every week or so. I never looked into a cause or possible solution to the issue.
 
Hmm. Sounds like a stick degradation or maybe driver corruption?
Good information from all.
Thanks.
 
Did you just need a cheapo spare HDD? What format?
 
For me after about a day and a half to two days up and running, things get 'funny' and the system needs to be rebooted.
 
Would the performance not degrade over time, similar to an ssd without trim and garbage collection?
 
I'm sure we can scrounge a decent SATA drive for ya. I have at least one!
 
Thanks for the offers fellow [H]orde-ians :)
I have the funds to get a cheap HDD, so I could not in good conscience take what others may need more to keep folding. :eek:
I think, in my mind, this was more of an experiment, something fun to try, but I did not want to risk screwing up WUs if it was already determined to be historically unadviseable.
If the consensus is that it is risky to the "work" to do it, I'll just go the HDD route.
Again, some truely un-selfish [H]ard folders on here, and I am humbled.....
 
If your going to buy something.... grab one of those cheap 16gb SSD drives off Ebay.
 
Yes, a USB stick will not last very long. They will wear out long before a quality SSD or HDD.
 
Alright. Ix-nay on the USB-ay. Showing my age there!
Then for those using server chassis with 3.5" hot-swap HDD trays,
originally I tried to fit a 2.5" SSD with 2.5-to-3.5 adapter and could never get it to mechanically make contact with the backplane connector.
If you've done this what am I missing or what trick did you play to get it there?
Thanks.

 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top