• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Running a 3000+@2.25

SniperXx

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
3,476
I am running a Athlon 64 3000+(Winchester I think) @ 2.25Ghz at default voltage. Am wanting to push it further but not sure what settings to use since I haven't fully figured out these NF4 boards. Anyway my current settings I got the memory at 166 and the FSB at 250 with a 9x divider. What settings should I use to push it to 2.4-2.5 since I am still using stock cooler?

Got a DFI Ultra-D and PC3200 memory so I would like to keep my memory at or close to PC3200 speeds.
 
Fist, definitely set the LDT / FSB ratio to 3. Depending on your cooling, raise the voltage a couple notches ~1.45 is OK on the stock cooler, but make sure your temps aren't over ~60C - that'll either kill your chip or make your overclock unstable.

As a rule of thumb for folks who are new to overclocking, don't go over 1.5V on air, do not go over 1.6V on water.

Athlon64 overclocking requires determining *WHY* an overclock didn't work, and first isolating how far you can go on HT, CPU, and Memory frequencies. Read this thread at DFI-Street to find out how to do that.

Once you've got something that'll at least boot into windows, try running memtest86 for at least one full pass, and then run prime95 for a few hours, and then run some 3dmark01 for a few hours to test stability of your OC.

Here's a list of settings I tried when setting up my CPU overclock... and I'm still not done yet, the DFI board has a ton of options on memory which I'm definitely not done playing with.

HT * CPU Multiplier = CPU MHz, Memory Divider

300 * 8 = 2400, 2/3 (Alternate 267HT * 9 = 2403MHz, 3/4)
278 * 9 = 2502, 3/4
289 * 9 = 2601, 7/10
300 * 9 = 2700, 2/3

The dividers I posted for you are usually going to be a bit over 200MHz, but nothing more than about 210.

2.7GHz on air is the point most people with the 3000+ shoot for, not everyone reaches this speed stable without alot of voltage, which has a tendancy to kill the chip.

I personally bumped the LDT and chipset voltages by 0.1 on each and raised the CPU volts to 1.5 (rather high for day to day use) to find a 100% stable point, then backed off the voltages and made sure everything was still 100% stable by running 24 hours of memtest, followed by 24 hours of prime95. Right now I'm running at the speeds in my sig, so you should have quite a bit of headroom - aim high!

You should really head over to DFI-Street forums and read the overclocking stickies and post over there AFTER reading the rules - they're pretty strict on the rules there.
 
3000+ winchester
Gigabyte k8ns ultra
512mb of old 2-4-4-9 Ocz pc3200 :(

I was running the exact same settings as you for the past 10 months,
2.25ghz 9x 251, ram at 166 - > 205

I bumped the ram voltage up to 2.8v, and the cpu to 1.45v
set the htt to 3x, loosened up my timings and cranked my cpu to 9x270 = 2.43ghz / ram at 225mhz 3-4-4-9 :/

I'm at 53degrees c FULL LOAD overnight with prime95, 40ish idle all with the stock cooler. (and the 7 million 80mm fans in my sx1040b)

Also make sure you lock your pci/agp bus

Use memtest86 on a bootable cd or floppy to test out your ram, you can even change timings in memtest and run it through the tests.

Good luck, if you have any more questions just ask!
 
Back
Top