Running 4 monitors off a single card

AMD T-type

Supreme [H]ardness
I just picked up a 660 as a stop gap until the summer when i'll likely get a new card.

I have an 8800GT that i was using as my secondary card to run my 3rd an 4th monitor.

My question is, is there any point in leaving the 8800GT in there to keep running my 3rd and 4th monitors?
Does it give the 660 relief by only having to run 2? or will the fps on my gaming monitor be the same whether or not there are 2 or 4 monitors plugged in?

Thanks all

The only relief I think you'll see is on power consumption on the GTX 660 ... when I ran a monitor off of DisplayPort it would always lock the card at higher clocks even if it is just idling. That said leaving the 8800GT in there would likely cancel out any power savings you'd get by avoiding the use of the 660's DP port.

Heh, turns outthat my wife bought me an EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition for my birthday today, lol
I'll have to return te 660 but the OP question should still basically be the same

wife ftw

Unless the extra DVI ports make hookup easier for you, I'd be most apt to remove the 8800 in the interest of saving power and reducing overall heat. In my opinion, the simpler you can keep your system and still get the same results, the better.

Unless the extra DVI ports make hookup easier for you, I'd be most apt to remove the 8800 in the interest of saving power and reducing overall heat. In my opinion, the simpler you can keep your system and still get the same results, the better.

This is my exact thoughts.

All 4 monitors running great so far on the 670, no downsides that I've seen so far while in game.

Back