Running 2600k @ 4.7 w/HT vs 4.9 wo/HT

psyclist

Gawd
Hey guys,

Just wondering here, ive got a 2600k that I upgraded from a 2500k awhile back when I built a computer for my parents. Ive left HT on and can hit 4.7 at comfortable volts (1.4) but turning off HT, I can make it up to 4.9 and possibly 5GHz. What do you guys think as far as performance? I play BF3 mostly, and do some illustrator work as well as some GIS processing. Leave it on or turn it off and crank it up? Its under an H100 and a couple AP-29's on a fan controller, so cooling isnt really an issue...

It all comes down to the applications that you are running. If the application doees take advantage of hyper-threading you are looking at maybe 10% extra performance from it. So 4.7GHz plus 470MHz additional perofrmance would put it to almost 5.2GHz.

There are other things that play into it but that should give you an idea at what it can and can't do for you.

I ran a bunch of tests like that back when I had my i7 920, I came to the conclusion that it took about 400MHz more clock speed without hyperthreading to make up for the lack of hyperthreading in apps that make use of more threads. It wasn't worth the trade off to me to disable it, but I do a lot of video encoding so hyperhtreading paid big divedends there. In games, the extra clock speed might help a little but truthfully in most games, you're usually GPU limited if you're playing at high resolution with lots of eye candy.

You aren't going to see a practical difference between 4.7 and 4.9 in single threaded apps, but you will see a practical difference between no-HT and HT in mutli-threaded apps, so I'd leave it on. If you were talking 4.5 and 5.0 or something, maybe (although even then it's not like a 4.5 Sandy chip is holding anything back), but for 200 MHz it isn't worth it.

Fair enough, Ill just leave it then, I think I might be able to squeeze 4.8GHz with HT on with a bump up to 1.41-1.42v anyways. Thanks for the input guys!

Back