Runaway Chrome Memory Usage

Sovereign

2[H]4U
Problem: Inexplicable MASSIVE memory usage by Chrome GPU Process (verified in Chrome Task Manager).

By the time I finished snipping this and uploading to ImageShack, it bloated out to 2260MB!!!!!!

I've tried disabling all GPU compositing and extensions. I've updated the GPU driver. I've rebooted my computer.

Browser Version: 32.0.1700.72 m

Every page load adds 50-100MB of memory. That process eventually hits the 32-bit limit and transparently restarts (without disrupting Chrome itself).

Put chrome://plugins in the address field and see if there's anything funky.

If not, try resetting browser settings under advanced settings then delete your User Data directory under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\.

I uninstalled/reinstalled, selected "delete all data." Now Chrome behaves.

Go figure. Damn ghosts in the machine...

For future Googlers: There isn't a "solution" to this problem per-se, just uninstall/reinstall and let it rebuild your extensions, etc. from your stored online Google profile if you have one.

Hate to bump, but it's back! No apparent cause--just out of nowhere my desktop widget that shows whatever process is using the most RAM: "Chrome 2414MB"

If I keep having to uninstall and reinstall Chrome, it's going bye-bye.

Used these flags and now it behaves.
Code:
--disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer

Obviously, that disables GPU-based rendering, but considering that GPU-based rendering is totally broken for me and that it really doesn't subjectively feel "slower," I can live with it.

Personally, I have always noticed that chrome uses a lot of memory.

In this instance, did you just sign in so that it started to sync bookmarks and plugins? Chrome uses about 4GB of memory for me with the amount of tabs it has open. I have always assumed that this is normal for the Chrome broswer: it uses more RAM to get faster speeds.

Back