Run Win7 *natively* from .VHD file, easily.

devil22

2[H]4U
One cool thing about Win7, is that it can be installed to a .VHD and run natively, without partitioning, or having a spare hard drive, or wiping your current XP/Vista install. To do this, follow these directions:

1. Boot Win7 DVD
2. At Install menu, press shift-F11 to open a cmd prompt and type the following commands...
3. diskpart
4. create vdisk file=c:\win7.vhd type=fixed maximum=16000
5. select vdisk file=c:\win7.vhd
6. attach vdisk
7. then type exit to exit diskpart, and exit again to exit the cmd prompt
8. then click 'install' and choose the .vhd file in the choose drive menu, you can tell by the size (16GBs.)

You may need to change the drive, just choose whatever one you want that has enough space. When I booted up Win7, it saw my c: drive as d: for instance. You can also change 'maximum=16000' to change the size of the virtual partition. This might help a lot of you guys who want to try the beta without mucking around with your current setup.

Or people could just get some imaging software and... well... they can figure it out. :)

But... having said that, this is a very cool way to check things out, I guess.

I couldn't get Aero working in VirtualBox (the RDP trick didn't work). Might work in VMware though – it supports DirectX 9.
I haven't tried getting Aero to work, because it isn't really a factor in my testing, but did you load the VirtualBox Guest additions?

Back