Run Drivers in "XP Compatibility Mode" within Vista?

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
So there are still no new drivers for me Dell A920 that work with Vista.
Does anyone know of a way to get the drivers working under "XP Compatibility mode" or something?
Because this isn't like a system driver persay, I would think there might be a workaround to at least be able to print from within Vista!

I also noticed most of the drivers included in Vista are more geared to business printers...

Anyone have any idea? I would love to get Vista onto my notebook- I really like it!

Alright.. what drivers do you need?

Have you tried using XP drivers in Vista yet? There have been several accounts of XP drivers working fine under Vista, so that may be an option.

And I'm not really sure that a driver can "run" in compatibility mode..

EDIT--- Oops.. ok, so it's a printer driver... got to pay more attention... well, so have you tried the XP driver??

Just for the heck of it, when it asked where to install, I went to find my original disk, stuck it in, and it found the drivers on it!

The only problem is- it shows that it installed OK, but anytime you try to print, I get a "Communication Not Availible" error (Yes, it is turned on/connected).

Well, you never gave us the printer that your trying to install?

There are some reports that using the Windows 2000 specific driver has been sucessful fior some users of the A920 who need to get their printer working in Vista. Try that and if it doesn't work you'll just have to wait until a Vista specific driver is released. Dell's current timetable says to expect a Vista driver for the A920 sometime in April. :)

There are some reports that using the Windows 2000 specific driver has been sucessful fior some users of the A920 who need to get their printer working in Vista

Do you have a link to the place where you found that at? Maybe they are doing something differently.

The drivers for 2000 and XP are one in the same.

I even found a Lexmark printer which looks the exact same (All Dell does is rebrands them), but the same thing happened- no communication.

Back