• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Run Badblocks from within windows (Linux VM?) or alternative

Romeomium

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
211
I have a 6 disk setup on my new Ryzen box I'm finally getting around to configuring. Already been running Win10 for about a month now, and just performed a clean wipe in preparation to get everything setup (and because I was breaking things like I normally do with a new OS).

I'd like to perform a full read/write on all 6 - 3TB drives. 4 of them are used HGST enterprise drives from GoHardDrive. Not surprisingly the SMART data is wiped. I don't necessarily want to run linux off a USB for a week to crunch through 6 drives, especially as I use my PC for work when I'm home.

Spinrite is an option, but it's expensive for a program I will use once. I'm currently running HDTune "secure erase" random fill, with verify checked. I also have HGST WinDFT but it seems to just sit there and spin (pun intended!) without appearing to do anything.

Can I run badblocks from within Windows, if I mount a linux VM? If not, is there another free/cheap alternative than what I'm doing?

Thanks!
 
Back
Top