Run Backup Exec in a VM with SAS pass through

lozaning

2[H]4U
Does anyone know if it possible to run Symantec Backup Exec in a VM? I take nightly snapshots of all my vm's on my NetApp and want to back them up to tape. We're trying to consolidate servers so I dont want to have to dedicate an entire machine to running Backup Exec and would there for like to run it in a VM on the same hosts that it backs up to the NetApp filer. I have a SAS tape library and am wondering if it possible to do some kind of SAS pass through to a vm.

Its an HP DL360 G7 running vsphere 5.1. I have a SAS card I plan on using for this but dont off the top of my head remember what brand/model. Right now Im more concerned if its even a theoretical possibility.

I haven't done it personally, but it sounds like the minimum specs are met. Vsphere 5+, VT-d on the Host. You should be able to do pass through. There are people passing through internal SAS cards to to VM's with mas quantites of Drives running software RAID, so Tape communication through a card to a VM shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for posting that Symantec link Jaydeep.

All of our tape hardware is FC-attached so I was going to ask if anyone has heard of that working via pass through. I assumed that getting an HBA to pass through might be a challenge within vSphere. At least now I know I don't need to research any further since Symantec clearly states fiber connected tape devices aren't supported.

Are you stuck with Backup Exec or would you be willing to look at alternatives?

It is possible based on the guide posted however I have had some serious issues doing this in a production environment. I chose to simplify the whole thing and switch to a physical server to run Backup Exec (now Microsoft DPM) on a physical box and all the abnormalities are obviously gone. I prefer a K.I.S.S. approach when it comes to a production environment.

I've done this with BE 2012 V-Ray and BE 2010. It was very easy to setup and I've had no issues.

Dell PowerEdge R715
vSphere 5
LSI SAS 9212-4i4e passthrough
Quantum LTO5

It will work but remember the limits of passthrough, you will lose HA on the Backup Exec VM. If your tape library has FC you are better off using RDM.

I have been running BE2010 as a vm for years with great success, however we don't have FC, so it's just connecting directly to our autoloader via SCSI and disk storage over 1Gb ethernet XO.

Back