Run Apache and IIS on the same server?

Qualm

Gawd
Is it possible to run IIS and Apache on the same Win2k server, servicing different virtual IP's on the same physical NIC? Any reason(s) that wouldn't work?

My current FTP server is running on IIS, and since it's being used heavily by our clients I'd prefer to leave it up ... but I'd also like to install Perl, PHP, Mercury32 MTA, and SquirrelMail on this box, and I downloaded Xampp (http://www.apachefriends.org/wampp-en.html) after reading about it in another thread ...

Xampp installs Apache 2.0, so before I do that I thought I'd ask about running that and IIS on the same server.

- Qualm

i don't see how it would be a problem since your using ftp with iis and not the http server.

it will work fine providing they are not serving through the same port. When i was first learning Apache, I had it listening on port 8080 and kept IIS listening on port 80. That way i could still serve pages from IIS until i got Apache up and running.

both worked fine.

Originally posted by maw
it will work fine providing they are not serving through the same port. When i was first learning Apache, I had it listening on port 8080 and kept IIS listening on port 80. That way i could still serve pages from IIS until i got Apache up and running.

both worked fine.

Exacary - as long as two servers aren't bound to the same port, you should be fine.

Originally posted by tim
apache > all

True enough.

I think competition is always a good thing, but Apache is pretty good, and holds 60+% of the market.

Originally posted by Josh_B
True enough.

I think competition is always a good thing, but Apache is pretty good, and holds 60+% of the market.
microsoft can't compete with the price :D

Originally posted by tim
microsoft can't compete with the price :D

actually, IIS is free if you already have Windows, which most people do.

But I agree that Apache is very, very nice. I recently switched over to Apache from IIS (out of curiosity) and the difference in performance was quite noticable. Though it could also be attributable to the migration from .ASP to PHP as well.

I've become an Apache convert myself. :) In a couple of months I will probably migrate all the webservers at work over to Apache, once i get more comfortable with the configuration and security settings.

Originally posted by maw
actually, IIS is free if you already have Windows, which most people do.
but iis included with winxp and 2k pro (not server) cannot have more than a few connections at a time. i ran iis for a while until my site was hacked. not sure if iis was the problem or php-nuke. i've since moved to apache and hand written (for the most part) my cms.

Different ports for the web servers.... hrm...

I'm going to have to try that out.

I have IIS running my site, but there's a few php apps that haven't been tested on IIS that I want to try out.

Maybe I'll just toss IIS altogether eventually, but I don't have the time to deal with the learning curve.

Agrikk

Back