Run 64-Bit Windows With Conroe?

laxmiddi44

Gawd
I'm wondering if i should buy windows 64-bit edition for my conroe build.

Are their any disadvantages to running a 64-bit operating system?

eh, I doubt the performance increase would justify spending the cash on a 64 bit license. I'd wait for Vista.

Lich said:
eh, I doubt the performance increase would justify spending the cash on a 64 bit license. I'd wait for Vista.

does it affect any apps that aren't 64-bit in a negative way?

or how does that work?

32-bit apps are generally at plus or minus a few percent (like +/- 3%). But if you don't have any specific app of yours that benefits from 64-bit, and already have a copy of 32-bit XP, it's probably just a good idea to wait for Vista like Lich said.

Having said that, I've been running 64-bit XP for quite some time and love it :) I even have it running on this X6800.

I've been running XP 64 bit for 9 months with my opty 170. Runs great with the exception of Flash and active X not working in IE (I dual boot to XP Pro when I need that). Otherwise a fine OS, but if you require 100% compatability you really have little to gain from it...

Dennis, XP x64 also comes with a 32-bit version of IE for stuff like that.

rolo said:
Dennis, XP x64 also comes with a 32-bit version of IE for stuff like that.
Of course... I wasn't thinking. it could be that ever since I installed the IE7 beta 3 the 32 bit browser only appears when using Windows update, even though I only installed the 64 bit version. Both IE icons show as IE7. But the 32 bit browser does show up when using Windows Update. I have to figure out where it's hiding...;-)

Ive been using windows x64 proffesional for about half a month. Windows is faster, but applications, at least in my case, run exactly the same as xp 32bit unless they written for 64bit. Only problem I had was finding a driver for my linksys wireless card, but found a driver through google that works perfect. If you get windows x64, make sure you have a 2nd OS installed or a second computer with internet around(for findong drivers if windows does not have them). Also if you want to dual boot, make sure windows xp 32bit is installed before x64 on the computer or x64 wont boot.

windows XP64 has many advantages... It is stable... has better memory management, extended memory address space, 64bit paging, faster searching, based on the improved windows2003 server scheduler; so better multitasking and threading.

Drivers are hit or miss sometimes... however there are drivers for most of the good stuff... video, sound, the main controller cards, many printers...

If there does not exist a driver, just run a 32bit install of windows in a VMware session. You can map through your USB and other ports to the VM and get full access. I use this method when I wish to use a webcam, for example. (and VMware server 1.0 is free... there is just no reason not to take advantage of virtualization)

There are even some native 64bit apps... and some games have 64bit support featuring enhanced graphics.

Dennis Gordon said:
Of course... I wasn't thinking. it could be that ever since I installed the IE7 beta 3 the 32 bit browser only appears when using Windows update, even though I only installed the 64 bit version. Both IE icons show as IE7. But the 32 bit browser does show up when using Windows Update. I have to figure out where it's hiding...;-)
dir /s iexplore.exe

:)

Or you might try Process Explorer, just check out the path to the exe while it's running: http://www.sysinternals.com . I find that feature to be very handy.

It's interesting how Windows x64 comes with both 32- and 64-bit versions of all the binaries. I had a problem running a certain compiler tool in 64-bit mode, and just changed the shortcut that started the build process to point to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe instead of C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe. Then everything ran exactly like it did on 32-bit Windows.

Yashu said:
There are even some native 64bit apps...
Like Paint.NET :) Check out the benchmarks I published here, http://blogs.msdn.com/rickbrew/archive/2006/07/13/664890.aspx . Summary: Athlons go 60% faster in 64-bit mode, and Conroes go 40% faster. ... Discuss!

Not that Paint.NET is a system-defining application like, say, Photoshop (i.e. you don't buy a new computer just to run Paint.NET better, at least I hope not). But it's pretty cool that it gains so much without even so much as a compiler switch, it really is a snappier app on 64-bit. And it's fully optimized for multithreading; I've seen benchmarks of it from some 4-core systems (dual dual core) and it's obnoxiously fast.

</self-plug>

Back