• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Rumours: Apple No Longer Intel-Inside Only?

This reminds me of the five minute conversation I just had with a Mac lover user of mine. No matter how many times I tried, I could not get the distinction between "CPU" chip and motherboard "chipset" through to him. And I explained it as though I was talking to a seven-year-old. I suspect the person writing for CNBC in the original post was similarly clueless.
 
Quite frankly, I'm surprised (strike that - shocked) that Apple never used a Q-series for a Mac Pro-style tower (if not Q6600, then Q9450/Q9550) slotting between the iMac and the current XEON-based Mac Pros, It could even use the same graphical and drive options as the Mac Pro, but offer more bang for the buck.

That's a rather large hole in the Apple desktop line.
 
Quite frankly, I'm surprised (strike that - shocked) that Apple never used a Q-series for a Mac Pro-style tower (if not Q6600, then Q9450/Q9550) slotting between the iMac and the current XEON-based Mac Pros, It could even use the same graphical and drive options as the Mac Pro, but offer more bang for the buck.

That's a rather large hole in the Apple desktop line.

Its a valid point. Apples desktop line is SO minor though i doubt they care much. Notebooks are like 83% of their sales aren't they?
 
Quite frankly, I'm surprised (strike that - shocked) that Apple never used a Q-series for a Mac Pro-style tower (if not Q6600, then Q9450/Q9550) slotting between the iMac and the current XEON-based Mac Pros, It could even use the same graphical and drive options as the Mac Pro, but offer more bang for the buck.

That's a rather large hole in the Apple desktop line.

Mac Pros are not their desktop line. It's their workstation/server (though the xserve is more their main server product). Besides, it uses dual socket 771, not socket 775.

iMac and Mac Mini are their desktop products.
 
I just want to make sure that I didn't miss Apple's announcement yesterday of AMD-based computers.

Waffles.
 
Mac Pros are not their desktop line. It's their workstation/server (though the xserve is more their main server product). Besides, it uses dual socket 771, not socket 775.

iMac and Mac Mini are their desktop products.

Two big problems with a desktop lineup that small:

1. the iMac is more of an all-in-one, with very little of an upgrade path)
2. Mac mini can be upgraded (externally); however, you wind up with an octopus.

I'm aware that the Mac Pro is a dual LGA771-based system; my idea would use the same case as the Pro (or a similar case, if Apple wanted to differentiate from the Pro), but based around LGA775 (possibly around something like the Intel DG33 Media Series motherboards shipping today, for example). You could even bring back a name from Apple's past for it (Performa II, anyone?), and use the same graphical and drive options that the Mac Pro already has (to save on inventory costs).

The reason behind it is rather simple: LGA775 quad-cores are cheap (one major reason they ARE so cheap is because none are being bought by Apple). And Apple still needs a more traditional desktop (basically a new Performa; the Mac Pro basically replaced the Quadra) above the iMac, yet below the Mac Pro.
 
Ah, I see what you mean. You're saying they're missing a desktop line above the iMac but below the Mac Pro. Yeah, definitely something to be had there. Though, I wonder if they are just using their MacBook Pro line as that "gap".
 
This reminds me of the five minute conversation I just had with a Mac lover user of mine. No matter how many times I tried, I could not get the distinction between "CPU" chip and motherboard "chipset" through to him. And I explained it as though I was talking to a seven-year-old. I suspect the person writing for CNBC in the original post was similarly clueless.

Yea my friend knows a guy like this, they call him "Maclovin", lol:D.
 
Back
Top