RUMOR: Radeon 480 to be priced to replace 380, similar output as 390.

I don't think fury was actually inefficient, in dx11 the overhead held it back. In dx12 it performs just as it should in AotS (compute heavy).

It's geometry performance was abysmal compared to maxwell though, and in the absence of async compute it couldn't saturate the shader array because the geometry work was stalling the pipeline

The latest nvidia drivers upturned all my results, but previously the Fury X and 980TI were performing identically in AotS (flop for flop) with async enabled for the Fury. Now the 980ti appears to pull ahead by around 8%.

With async enabled the 980ti is now matching fury X whereas it had been around 10% slower before

thats what I meant. The shader power was going to waste under lot of situations where dx12 actually pushed the card. But AMD themselves said with GCN 4.0 their goal was to reduce waste and increase efficiency by upgrading their front end to better utilize the shaders.

thats what I meant. The shader power was going to waste under lot of situations where dx12 actually pushed the card. But AMD themselves said with GCN 4.0 their goal was to reduce waste and increase efficiency by upgrading their front end to better utilize the shaders.

Which is exactly why I'm not impressed with the leaked firestrike results although if it is only 5.5tflop they make more sense

Nvidia compared the 1070 to their own lineup of GPUs.
All things being equal AMD would compare the 480 to the 390/390X or Fury series. Otherwise it seems like they are attacking Nvidia. It's petty.

I see a quote from today where Huang is effectively saying they don't even think about AMD at all. Nvidia hasn't mentioned AMD a single time at any point during Pascal's launch.

This is typical. The underdog trying to gain market/mind share typically tries to show how their products offer relative value to what the competition offers. The market leader, especially one in a comfortable leadership position, tends to avoid mentioning the competition to focus on the qualities of their own product.

It's the same reason that we don't see Intel mention AMD anymore, while AMD still mentions Intel in things like iGPU comparisons.

I think if the performance is close to nano 300 should be ok, but depending on what AMD wants to do, which is gain marketshare, they will drop to 250, because the 1060 is so close and we have a good idea it will be around gtx 980 performance.

Is it a troll account or Gaben? Don't know. That's why I posted it. Figured you''ll would have the skinny on it. ;)

Is it a troll account or Gaben? Don't know. That's why I posted it. Figured you''ll would have the skinny on it. ;)

How would he have the skinny on it? This is Gabe Newell we're talking about.

I'm an avid fan of half life, but I've become increasingly convinced it's best for half life 3 to lay dormant, it can't live up to the expectations in my opinion.

Half Life, Half Life 2,and Episode 2 are *the gold standard* as far as single player FPS goes

The only reason Doom was such a pleasant surprise for me is because I expected it to be a turd

Eli Vance, Dr. Breen, Alyx, G-Man all have far more character than most modern protagonists do

Same with many characters in metal gear solid, if you look past the melodrama they're all very interesting characters

Half Life and Metal Gear are the best

Last edited:
How would he have the skinny on it? This is Gabe Newell we're talking about.

I'm an avid fan of half life, but I've become increasingly convinced it's best for half life 3 to lay dormant, it can't live up to the expectations in my opinion.

Half Life, Half Life 2,and Episode 2 are *the gold standard* as far as single player FPS goes

The only reason Doom was such a pleasant surprise for me is because I expected it to be a turd

Eli Vance, Dr. Breen, Alyx, G-Man all have far more character than most modern protagonists do

Same with many characters in metal gear solid, if you look past the melodrama they're all very interesting characters

Half Life and Metal Gear are the best
They've had enough time to make hl3 amazing.

If they can get 390x performace for $250 I am not sure what would be bad about that? Sure it isn't high end, but a LOT of people cannot afford $380-600 video cards.

Some can only afford $250-300 (Console) type money...

Now this is all speculation.

WSJ is reporting $199 (possibly for 480, or lower tier 4x0 card? - they don't specify)

AMD Prices 3-D Tech to Spur Virtual Reality Market

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is angling to lower the cost of virtual reality, targeting the field with a new line of graphics hardware priced at $199—half or less the cost of comparable products.

AMD said the first chips based on its new Polaris design are expected to arrive in graphics cards for personal computers at the end of June. The company aims to help push the starting cost of PCs that can deliver VR experiences as low as $799 from above $1,000.

Consumers also face the cost of the latest generation of VR headsets—$599 for the Oculus Rift from Facebook Inc. ’s Oculus VR unit, for example, or $799 for HTC Corp. ’s Vive.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the need for a PC with an add-in card that includes a beefy 3-D graphics chip is another barrier that stands in the way of widespread adoption of VR. An online survey conducted in April by the Advanced Imaging Society found that 68% of respondents said VR equipment was too expensive.

“Less than 1% of PC users have systems that are capable of doing VR,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect of AMD’s Radeon technologies group. “The entry point is very, very high.”

AMD said its new Radeon RX cards, certified for use in VR by HTC and Oculus VR, deliver performance equivalent to that of $500 graphics cards used for VR.

Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy briefed on AMD’s strategy, estimated that the current minimum price on cards comparable to AMD’s new models is $399. He said the $199 pricing comes as a surprise.

“It’s great for getting more people into VR,” said Kelt Reeves, president of Falcon Northwest Computer Systems Inc., a boutique maker of gaming PCs that serves the market.

AMD competes with Nvidia Corp. in the chips known as graphics processing units, or GPUs. Mercury Research estimates that Nvidia had 70.6% of shipments in the first quarter of 2016 to 29.4% for AMD, though the latter’s share is up three percentage points from the fourth quarter.

Standard practice in the GPU business has been to start new product lines with high-end cards that command hefty prices and profit margins. Mr. Koduri said AMD hoped that breaking from tradition by starting with a lower-cost model could have a bigger impact. For one thing, he said, computer retailers prefer to stock machines for less than $999.

Nvidia on May 7 introduced a new flagship model called the GTX 1080 at a $599 price tag that is expected to succeed a $1,000 model called the Titan X. Nvidia also introduced a $379 model called the GTX 1070, which is likely to be seen as competition to the new AMD model.

“It’s up to Nvidia to come up with a lower-priced card,” Mr. Moorhead said.

An Nvidia spokesman had no immediate comment.

AMD, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., plans to formally announce the new chips early Wednesday at the Computex trade show in Taiwan.

Minimum current-gen VR spec is a GTX970/R9-390 so yes, it must be some incarnation of P10.

Nobody at Valve wants to devote resources to HL3.

Valve makes so much money off of Steam. It's not hard to see why they wouldn't bother with HL3. Starting to think that HL2 was just Valve's way of getting the ball rolling on Steam so that they didn't have to do any more major games.

I love how AMD says we will make VR 3D affordable when you still have a $500 headset to purchase still.

BTW: Was there any mention of new features to support VR?

I doubt it's Polaris 11. Assuming that's Polaris 10 cut down part ?

It's 4GB 480. Which I consider gimped. If you are going VR/1440 you should be getting 8 Gigs memory to cover your tail a couple years. the 8GB 480 is supposed to be between $225->$250

Last edited:
Back