RUMOR: Radeon 480 to be priced to replace 380, similar output as 390.

Zion Halcyon

2[H]4U
AMD Radeon R9 480 and Radeon R9 470 Series Detailed - Polaris 10 "Ellesmere" Has Around 100W TDP, Polaris 11 "Baffin" Under 50W

Key parts of the article:

Just recently, VR-World leaked new details for the Polaris 10 GPU. From the looks of it, Polaris 10 samples are already in the wild and clocking in at speeds of 800 MHz and up to 1050 MHz. The GPU silicon features 2560 stream processors in total but the specific model id’d as “67DF:C4” has 2304 stream processors enabled. The graphics card ships with GDDR5 memory (GDDR5X if its available in volume) and will feature 8 GB of VRAM of the specific memory standard while featuring a 256-bit wide memory interface. The GPU is based on the new 14nm FinFET architecture.

If these GPUs are meant to replace the Radeon R9 380 series and the Radeon R9/R7 370 series, then I think the specifications make sense. The Radeon R9 380 series shipping with Tonga have a TDP of 190W. AMD can cut the TDP by 70-80W and offer performance equivalent to their current Radeon R9 390 series parts which will will be really nice. Same goes for pricing, the Radeon R9 380 series are available in a sub-$300 price range which I think will be the market AMD is aiming for.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-480-470-polaris-10-polaris-11/#ixzz45o6x5B98

This is going to be key, and would also explain better than the recent mining craze why we aren't seeing 390/390x's - if a 480 can put out the same performance as a 390, but at 380 prices, this is going to be a VERY big deal.

It's the right move to buy time for AMD's halo product in 2017.

That's it? What about the 490 or 490X? Are they going to rebrand Fiji into the 400 series?

These graphics boards will feature TDP around 100W (110-135W) and as demonstrated at Capsaicin, will have no trouble running latest DirectX 12 titles at 1440P with stable 60 FPS.

Wasnt that just Hitman, with unknown settings?

Last edited:
490 and 490x are still coming. Not rebrands either, but also Polaris. The question is where the price and performance goes from there. Those are not known.

Uhh yeah according to this article the only difference is a few hundred SPs. If the 480 is a 390 replacement at 2300 SP then what does that say about the full chip at 2500 SP?

The next step up is Vega.

This article dictates a Fiji rebrand very clearly, unless there are more than 4 Polaris SKUs coming? 480/X and 470/X starting at 390X-tier and below. There's no info here showing anything close to or exceeding Fiji XT.

This doesn't stack up very well vs the Nvidia rumors of a GTX 1070 that matches or beats the GTX 980 TI. That's just the GP104, which is a lot smaller than the top-end GP100. Does that mean Vega competes with GP104 and AMD doesn't have anything at the top-end?

Yes, I know, too soon to tell. Rumors are just that.

This doesn't stack up very well vs the Nvidia rumors of a GTX 1070 that matches or beats the GTX 980 TI. That's just the GP104, which is a lot smaller than the top-end GP100. Does that mean Vega competes with GP104 and AMD doesn't have anything at the top-end?

Yes, I know, too soon to tell. Rumors are just that.

Here's what I'd wager. The real key here in terms of performance is whether the 490/490x can compete with the 980/980TI. Forget Titan and Fury for a minute.

AMD isn't necessarily hurt by 490/490x not competing with the 980/980TI, provided the rumors are true about the 470 and 480 being slotted in the 370 and 380 price points, but offering 380 and 390/x performance. As a business, AMD will murder NVidia on the low end, and many budget conscious gamers will flock to AMD. The end goal here is market share, and AMD can really put a bad dent in NVidia's foothold, IF that is true.

Now, if the 490 and 490X offer performance on par or approaching the Fury and possibly the Fury X2, but at a 390/x price point, Nvidia might get bent over, depending on how prepared they are to slash prices to meet AMD. Even if they can absorb the hit, it will put pressure on them as they cannot continue to absorb hits like that.

This is actually a very precarious time for AMD. I know as enthusiasts, we oft look at who has the best top end card, but by focusing on increasing the performance per dollar at the bottom end, AMD might just be able to cut the legs out from under NVidia, provided they can sustain this.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
The 490X and 490 don't exist. They will be rebrands, or cutdown Vega chips 6 months from now. It is pointless to discuss a chip that doesn't exist in any meaningful way.

IMO going after mid/low tier low power GPUs makes sense. With the constant rising number of gamers playing low spec esports type games, keeping that mid-tier performance and cutting power requirements opens up possibilities for design wins for AMD.

DX12 is giving enough of a performance boost to AMD that releasing a high-end GPU, while always good for marketing, is probably not as pressing for them.

Would I sell my 390x for a 14ff part? If the cost/ performance is there of course I would.

This is what we've been hearing: Polaris 10 (480) will be the upper-mid range (where 380 sits now, but having 390 performance) and Polaris 11 will be the mid-mid-range (where 370 sits now). Unlikely either with have HBM (although I may be wrong here and they'll include 4GB HBM1). The big boys won't come until early 2017, and those of use with high-end cards already who don't care about TDP have a long wait still.

If they can do 390 performance for 100w, I'll eat my hat, even with the die shrink.

Hopefully that article didn't mention the 490 because the information wasn't leaked yet, and there will be a polaris 10 490. If Polaris 10 can't beat the 980ti this summer, GP104 is going to stomp all over them at the mid and high-end. AMD would need to undercut prices to stay competitive for yet another generation.

AMD's only hope to come out on top would be in mobile, as it sounds like they hit amazing power efficiency.

It would be the first time AMD regressed on bus width. 384 bit, 512 bit, 1024 bit... Then all the way down to 256 bit? There will need to be another Polaris GPU running 384+ bit minimum to cover the flagship tier.

The rumored Polaris chips gives 290 owners (and up) no reason to upgrade.

Hopefully that article didn't mention the 490 because the information wasn't leaked yet, and there will be a polaris 10 490. If Polaris 10 can't beat the 980ti this summer, GP104 is going to stomp all over them at the mid and high-end. AMD would need to undercut prices to stay competitive for yet another generation.

AMD's only hope to come out on top would be in mobile, as it sounds like they hit amazing power efficiency.

I don't think I follow your logic here. Whether Pascal performs better at the top end is irrelevant. How much the Pascal cards are priced is 100% what IS relevant.

If Pascal performs 20% better than the 980 and 980ti (for the 1070 and 1080 versions respectively), and are slotted into that price tier or higher, and AMD releases cards that perform on par with the 980 and 980TI, but have them at current 380 and 370 prices, then no way in hell does NVidia dominate the middle tier. Even if they have higher performing cards, the sheer value will steal people away. The benchmark isn't the be all, end all of who wins here. Its who sells the most units, and gains market share, and AMD is poised to do exactly that, unless NVidia is prepared to drop prices on their 980 and 980 TI to levels of their 970 and 960, which I don't believe they willingly have any intention of doing.

It would be the first time AMD regressed on bus width. 384 bit, 512 bit, 1024 bit... Then all the way down to 256 bit? There will need to be another Polaris GPU running 384+ bit minimum to cover the flagship tier.

The rumored Polaris chips gives 290 owners (and up) no reason to upgrade.

Saw that as well, however, the going rumor is that even with the reduced bus, the performance is nonetheless the same between a 480 and a 390(x). I am very curious about the engineering that went into these chips if that ends up being the case, because people's minds will be blown away by that, if true.

AMD releases cards that perform on par with the 980 and 980TI, but have them at current 380 and 370 prices, then no way in hell does NVidia dominate the middle tier.
So now Polaris10 is a 100W, 256 bit bus, $200 980 Ti competitor?
I bet it also comes with a free Unicorn and fairy dust.

The only thing left is to hope current performance predictions are really wrong and what we're actually seeing are 490/X and 480/X GPUs. And those 2560 SPs perform at Fury levels.

490 and 490x are still coming. Not rebrands either, but also Polaris. The question is where the price and performance goes from there. Those are not known.
The more worrying question is when will we see 490/490x.
The 480 is meant to be only level to a 390 according to the article.

I am interested in what replaces the 390x and 980, my friend is interested in what replaces the 390 and 970, a lot like us are after more performance than existing upper mid tier.
AMD cannot afford to leave this for 3-4 months later as that will be a chunk of sales lost.

Cheers

The more worrying question is when will we see 490/490x.
The 480 is meant to be only level to a 390 according to the article.

I am interested in what replaces the 390x and 980, my friend is interested in what replaces the 390 and 970, a lot like us are after more performance than existing upper mid tier.
AMD cannot afford to leave this for 3-4 months later as that will be a chunk of sales lost.

Cheers

Well, the 490 and 490x are still rumored to debut at Computex. That's about all we know atm.

Meh. Hard to say but if you want to sell a few station wagons you need to have a sports car in the window. If they as suggested cut the midsegment, then they need to also get crossfire on fucking point. Hopefully DX12 will facilitate that.

I don't think I follow your logic here. Whether Pascal performs better at the top end is irrelevant. How much the Pascal cards are priced is 100% what IS relevant.
To me, top-end performance matters. I'm not buying a next-gen GPU that's slower than a 980ti!

Of course price/performance ultimately counts, but Nvidia isn't standing still. It would be a shame if AMD had to resort to undercutting NV for yet another generation. As a consumer, I want both red and green to be competitive at every level.

Well, the 490 and 490x are still rumored to debut at Computex. That's about all we know atm.
Maybe I misunderstand but it seems the info in this leak pertains what is going to be mentioned at Computex.
I accept all rumours until then, but I would expect details of 490 now along with 480 if both are being announced at Computex, like we are now seeing with NVIDIA leaks.
Cheers

To me, top-end performance matters. I'm not buying a next-gen GPU that's slower than a 980ti!

Of course price/performance ultimately counts, but Nvidia isn't standing still. It would be a shame if AMD had to resort to undercutting NV for yet another generation. As a consumer, I want both red and green to be competitive at every level.

As do I. That said, AMD shouldn't pass up an opportunity at gaining market share because their halo product isn't ready yet. Gaining market share on the low end can get them more flush with cash, that they can use to reinvest in R&D and get better at the top end.

AMD does have some time - I'd say 2 years. They need to have their NVidia-beater ready and launched before NVidia can incorporate hardware async into their designs. Because even if people are overstating the benefits of async and using the term incorrectly, with that term AMD has a significant marketing edge that they can use, but only until Nvidia actually implements it into its hardware.

Its a race against time, however even so, the big gun, Vega, is what's crucial here. So I wouldn't put so much stress on the 490/490x. It's Vega where AMD needs to finally top NVidia to capture the top end.

What happens on the graphics side of things, won't help AMD's resources Zion it did slow them down a bit for one generation of cards up till last generation, their GPU line up, has been what is barely been holding up AMD. Now with the graphics division possibly getting back to balance to what they had before (this will take a few quarters), they will still have issues of from the CPU division. Gaining marketshare on the low end is good, specially the laptop side as they tend to have higher margins for low end dGPU's vs low end GPU's in desktops. This will help them but not to the point to cover their CPU division issues. Zen is the only thing that will keep AMD afloat. Without Zen, AMD can't going enough into the black to sustain them. So if in two years as you say, and all they have is their graphics division, they will have no cash at hand to continue working after paying off their first bonds.

Now if Polaris 11 & 10 comes out and is low , mid range as it definitely seems, they will gain market share, but the cost is the loss of the high mid range to high end for 6 months possibly longer. We know the 200-300 range is the sweet spot for margins and volume sales. I think AMD has about 2 months lead on nV's midrange. We know the chip (gp106 is ready, as in manufactureable) as we have seen screenshots of it but don't know when its coming out. Any case a 2 month lead isn't enough to twist the arms of OEM's to block nV for getting their offerings out. I say this because when you purchase systems with custom parts or systems that have to be build, laptops with dGPU's, you have to wait a month or two for systems that have just been announced. So marketshare gain from this midrange and time frame available to AMD, is a small gain a few % points in a lower margin segment.

What is the % brake down for mid range and low end graphics cards for OEM's vs. Consumer sales... That two month lead, starts to look less and less important. Now this is why traditionally AMD and nV have always launched their higher end cards first. Its not just about having a halo product. Its about getting enough supply to OEM's and understanding what the need for supply is before setting your manufacturing numbers up and going. Computer sales have been dropping no need to have excess inventory around. Graphics cards are not the driving factor for full system builds, nor for laptops.

I'm leaving async out of this, because this isn't the reason why AMD went with the midrange and low end first it has to do with gaining marketshare, but the lead I think they presumed to have, is not really a lead at all..... And this strategy might not work out well. If nV has the capability of releasing their low high end and high end with GDDR5, and with the performance upgrade where the replacement of the 970 comes in at a 980TI performance. That is a tall order for AMD to compete against. If they need Vega with HBM 2 to compete with this card, what is going to happen with nV's HBM2 consumer cards? There are two versions of Vega I think a smaller one and larger one.........

Last edited:
I think it will help AMDs resources more than you think, as pertains solely to graphics. There is a reason why they split off the RTG as a division.

Now, if you want to make the argument that it will not help AMD much as a whole, I could see that, as AMD is still heavily tied to what happens with Zen.

However, in terms of Graphics? I think it could be a boon, and what you could possibly see in the next 5 years if Zen flops and the RTG continues to take the fight to Nvidia and win/compete, you could either see the RTG become its own company again (albeit not under the old ATI logo), or even AMD get out of the processor business altogether and scale back, with them becoming a solely video card company. But that's for the long term. AMD needs someone like Raja helming it's processor side of things if they want to somehow get back into the fight with Intel.

The profits are not split up by division though, nor is their debt, nor is their working capital. The RTG division still answers to the board and is still responsible for the factors I just mentioned. The only way RTG will not be accountable is if it was spun off, and that hasn't happened, and won't happen since the IP that the RTG has is also part of their CPU division the loss for their CPU division would be too great.

Raja will not be a good fit for their CPU side. He doesn't have the expertise to do that. Actually to get someone capable of competing against Intel is very hard to find, and just one person won't be enough. Intel is different from nV when it comes to AMD's point of view, as it has the infrastructure (fabs), technical experience, and resources to make it a fully vertical company. To go against a company in any market that has this holistic capability is nearly impossible once you have lost already and it will take many years to regain what was lost or even to break even.

They can't "shrink* their CPU division much more either, you can't loss talent then expect to pick it back up again on a dime when you have the resources available, because their competitors are getting better and learning new things as time progresses.

AMD is really between a rock and hard place right now, and has no room for failure, this has everything to do with their debt and pay back of that debt coming up. So if AMD's strategy of doing mid range, low end first doesn't give them what they expected, which doesn't seem that likely at least not as much as AMD was hoping for, because of the way nV was able to read them (well marketing form AMD has done so far) and get their mid range ready pretty quickly, would it have been the right strategy? Maybe Vega absolutely needs HBM 2 to get the performance they need? We don't know that yet. But if all indicators that nV doesn't need GDDR5x or HBM2 to reach the performance to make their cards compelling enough to upgrade that speaks volumes for what they have in plan for their enthusiasts parts

I'm hoping that Polaris can compete with at least the replacement of gtx 980, if they clock it up, but as we know Finfets don't do well once they are out of a certain range with power consumption so that doesn't seem likely either.

Last edited:
The profits are not split up by division though, nor is their debt, nor is their working capital. The RTG division still answers to the board and is still responsible for the factors I just mentioned. The only way RTG will not be accountable is if it was spun off, and that hasn't happened, and won't happen since the IP that the RTG has is also part of their CPU division the loss for their CPU division would be too great.

Raja will not be a good fit for their CPU side. He doesn't have the expertise to do that. Actually to get someone capable of competing against Intel is very hard to find, and just one person won't be enough. Intel is different from nV when it comes to AMD's point of view, as it has the infrastructure (fabs), technical experience, and resources to make it a fully vertical company. To go against a company in any market that has this holistic capability is nearly impossible once you have lost already and it will take many years to regain what was lost or even to break even.

They can't "shrink* their CPU division much more either, you can't loss talent then expect to pick it back up again on a dime when you have the resources available, because their competitors are getting better and learning new things as time progresses.

The problem is how you frame the problem. The problem is Intel, AMD can not focus on Intel for several reasons they have to manage a budget and the market is flooded with Intel chips as soon as AMD has anything interesting. AMD should hope to scrape by until they can get something they can build upon and that regardless of who is leading AMD will take a good while. That AMD had people in management that could not do this is obvious but there are no single mistakes contributing to the problems AMD is in now...

The problem isn't fully Intel either, the problem is AMD's spreading its monetary resources out to both graphics and CPU, there is no way around this. Having half the R&D budget of just nV. How can AMD compete with both Intel and nV? Its impossible at least in the short term and they have to throw a hailmary. If Zen doesn't do well, guess what, I think we will see RTG being spun off and the rest of the CPU division just closes shop and its IP will be sold to the highest bidder. But this also puts RTG in a position where ATi has never been in, a situation where they have the talent but don't have the revenue coming in to keep that talent.....

ATi has never gone lower than 20% marketshare in the GPU market, ever. It happens now with AMD. This marketshare loss wasn't due to AMD either, it was not upgrading products line quickly enough and pushing out HBM products too quickly to the market. Over zealous thinking without understanding market demands will get you in trouble. The market didn't demand HBM as a need, nor did graphics technologies. AMD could have taken their time with HBM and focused more on their graphics architecture which might have yielded better results for them, since its under their control, they would have been able to get products out sooner too.

Where are you guys getting the impression that 490/X will also launch in June and will also be Polaris parts ?

There are TWO polaris GPUs as far as we know

Polaris 10 and 11

Both are accounted for by this rumor

If this rumor is true the 390/X successor could well be delayed for a long while or simply rebranded Fury/Nano

I sincerely hope this rumor isn't true, this sucks.

As do I. That said, AMD shouldn't pass up an opportunity at gaining market share because their halo product isn't ready yet. Gaining market share on the low end can get them more flush with cash, that they can use to reinvest in R&D and get better at the top end.

AMD does have some time - I'd say 2 years. They need to have their NVidia-beater ready and launched before NVidia can incorporate hardware async into their designs. Because even if people are overstating the benefits of async and using the term incorrectly, with that term AMD has a significant marketing edge that they can use, but only until Nvidia actually implements it into its hardware.

Its a race against time, however even so, the big gun, Vega, is what's crucial here. So I wouldn't put so much stress on the 490/490x. It's Vega where AMD needs to finally top NVidia to capture the top end.

Wait so you think Nvidia should just hammer in async support because it's a popular marketing term?

Where are you guys getting the impression that 490/X will also launch in June and will also be Polaris parts ?

There are TWO polaris GPUs as far as we know

Polaris 10 and 11

Both are accounted for by this rumor

If this rumor is true the 390/X successor could well be delayed for a long while or simply rebranded Fury/Nano

I sincerely hope this rumor isn't true, this sucks.

I don't think we will see their 390 and fury line updates till 2017, Raja stated they only have 2 chips coming out this year and both seem to be Polaris (10 and 11)

I don't think we will see their 390 and fury line updates till 2017, Raja stated they only have 2 chips coming out this year and both seem to be Polaris (10 and 11)

Inb4 outrageous pascal prices

NVIDIA GTX X80

YOURS FOR ONLY ONE KIDNEY

AMD is really between a rock and hard place right now, and has no room for failure, this has everything to do with their debt and pay back of that debt coming up. So if AMD's strategy of doing mid range, low end first doesn't give them what they expected, which doesn't seem that likely at least not as much as AMD was hoping for, because of the way nV was able to read them (well marketing form AMD has done so far) and get their mid range ready pretty quickly, would it have been the right strategy? Maybe Vega absolutely needs HBM 2 to get the performance they need? We don't know that yet. But if all indicators that nV doesn't need GDDR5x or HBM2 to reach the performance to make their cards compelling enough to upgrade that speaks volumes for what they have in plan for their enthusiasts parts

I'm hoping that Polaris can compete with at least the replacement of gtx 980, if they clock it up, but as we know Finfets don't do well once they are out of a certain range with power consumption so that doesn't seem likely either.

I think you misunderstood when I said AMD needs "a" Raja for the CPU side. I know the man himself is best right where he is at. What I meant by that is that Raja seems to know how to position the RTG to take every advantage, and to finally take the fight to NVidia. Everything from dominating the async discussion, to developers now coming out and advocating for AMD, to opening up coding for their cards to open source, to the partnership with MS, and on and on - while you say they are between a rock and a hard place, Raja is at least swinging for the fences, and in terms of a business strategy AMD is just flat outhustling, outworking, and early on, actually out-maneuvering NVidia.

Now, once the next batch of cards launch, that all can change, because the cards need to be competitive at a cost-per-dollar standpoint, which is a smart goal to focus on. In the end, the product needs to speak.

However, up till this point, AMD has been dominating the headlines (largely in part to async), getting free marketing, and seems to finally have caught a good wind to ride.

And I disagree that NVidia was able to read them and get their mid range ready pretty quickly. In fact, right now, while NVidia is focusing on the high end, AMD might undercut their low and mid market by quite a bit, and I don't think NVidia sees it.

490x and 490 are Polaris 10. I don't think you are right.

So far from what we have seen and what rumors have been saying and what AMD's marketing have been showing and pushing the chips, it doesn't seem that way. Plus the die size of Polaris 10 would seem to put it in a big disadvantage to Pascal gp104.

So far from what we have seen and what rumors have been saying, it doesn't seem that way. Plus the die size of Polaris 10 would seem to put it in a big disadvantage to Pascal gp104.
If they hit the 40% performance gains from async like they claimed initially they're set

Everything seems to point to Polaris 10 being as tonga was to fiji

It makes sense for mobile market, makes sense for low end market, but nvidia will make a killing off gp104 if it's uncontested

So according to this rumor...

Clock speed will be 800mhz, or 1050mhz, or somewhere in between (that's a safe guess given the last few generations of AMD GPUs)
Memory will be either GDDR5 or GDDR5x (I could have called that)
The 480 will have 390 performance at 380 prices (one step up is typical of GPU product replacement, so not a longshot guess)

It's not hard to construct this rumor. HBM2 is delayed, leaving only the above two options. Leaked benchmarks show a Polaris GPU running at 800mhz (believed by many to be under-clocked, but the rumor covers its basis here). AMD demonstrated an underclocked and undervolted Polaris GPU running on about 40W while matching the GTX 950 (roughly 85W at the time, prior to 75W version) in performance. Now some people are assuming that this is the final state of the GPU, so that got into the rumor.

It's not hard to see that this "rumor" or "leak" is simply a construction of prior leaks, evidence, and demonstrations. It's almost like the information came from WCCFTech...

I can't tell if you're agreeing with the rumors because they're obvious, or disagreeing because it's all too predictable.
To my mind, we haven't had any leaks that suggest anything other than a mid-range replacement... Which is something most people were speculating from the beginning.

Die size, bus width, AMD's focus on power/value... It all points to a $200-$300 part.

Like I said before this is a great improvement but everyone who owns a GTX 970 or R9 390 (or better) will give zero shits about it. This will now make 2 consecutive GPU disappointments from AMD for me.

The question is whether the fully-enabled Polaris 10 GPU's performance is closer to the 390 or beats a Fury X. We were all hoping for the latter, of course.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with the rumors because they're obvious, or disagreeing because it's all too predictable.
To my mind, we haven't had any leaks that suggest anything other than a mid-range replacement... Which is something most people were speculating from the beginning.

Die size, bus width, AMD's focus on power/value... It all points to a $200-$300 part.

Like I said before this is a great improvement but everyone who owns a GTX 970 or R9 390 (or better) will give zero shits about it. This will now make 2 consecutive GPU disappointments from AMD for me.
I can't even put my finger on when exactly public opinion decided to swing in the direction of Polaris 10 and gp104 destroying previous gen cards

The question is whether the fully-enabled Polaris 10 GPU's performance is closer to the 390 or beats a Fury X. We were all hoping for the latter, of course.

If they can sell a 250$ card that matches a fury X I'm going to eat my 980ti and livestream my doing so

I can't even put my finger on when exactly public opinion decided to swing in the direction of Polaris 10 and gp104 destroying previous gen cards
Traditionally, a new generation is faster than the one before it. That is not a particularly controversial expectation.

@leldra: I would not expect that at $250, no. Between $329 and $399 seems about right.

Back