Rumor: Prey 2 Cancelled

Man I hope that's not true. I've been mightily intrigued and interested by everything I've seen and heard thus far about it.

What the shit

That was easily my most anticipated game at PAX. They had a huge display, statues, everything. Why in the world would they do that?

I hope the info is incorrect too. But some really cool stuff has gotten cancelled or indefinitely shelved over the years, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

So the trailer was pretty cool for something obviously not representative of gameplay, but can someone explain why I should get excited about another sequel in name only?

I find this pretty unlikely. The game's very deep into development at this point, and Zenimax certainly isn't struggling.

The first one was awesome!

The second one well.....

Stick to the story next time dudes!

Was looking forward to this...but since every other game I was looking forward to this year sucks so far (RE:ORC and Ninja Gaiden III), this game was probably going to be shit as well. /cynicism

Seems odd considering it was listed at Gamestop as an April release. The game must be close to completion. I was hoping it would encourage more developers to go the open world FPS route.

Seems odd considering it was listed at Gamestop as an April release. The game must be close to completion. I was hoping it would encourage more developers to go the open world FPS route.

I can't believe Prey 2 is really coming out next month.

OMG Prey 2!

I hope they totally kept that idiotic minigame where you die, respawn with full health while the enemies/boss you were fighting is still hurt, and just rinse'n'repeat until it dies. That totally made Prey 1 the uberest FPS for people with learning disabilities in teh world.

OMG Prey 2!

I hope they totally kept that idiotic minigame where you die, respawn with full health while the enemies/boss you were fighting is still hurt, and just rinse'n'repeat until it dies. That totally made Prey 1 the uberest FPS for people with learning disabilities in teh world.

My sarcasm meter is pinging. ;)

That doesn't make sense. Didn't it win most anticipated game of E3? Why would you get such huge recognition and then BAM, canceled (then again probably not the first time)? I hope it's not true.

The first one was awesome!

The second one well.....

Stick to the story next time dudes!

Actually,I thought the first game was a rather generic linear shooter. It had some interesting visuals and I liked the Native American aspect,but it was one of the shortest games I ever played. The second game looks much more interesting.

^^^This. Prey was a great disappointment IMO. The second one looks interesting, hopefully they will get to release it.

Last edited:
I hope it isn't.

For those who didn't know, Prey 2 was shaping up to be an OPEN WORLD set on a futuristic alien world (not on earth) where you play a bounty hunter.

the main character from the first game was also going to be in it and have a role in the story line.

It was one of those gamest hat was trying somethign new.

i will grant that the first had nice visuals, a pretty decent storyline with good direction, and i still remember the impact of the terrifying ending (you kill your girlfriend as she is turned into a monster, you die yourself), but the mechanic of being able to just bash your head against a boss until the game gets bored and lets you kill it is just stupid.

They might as well have put in a button that says "win game"

to recap: Prey is a Doom-style FPS shooter (medikits n'all) where, if you die, you go to the "spirit world", a small round platform with "souls" floating around, you shoot a few of the many with a bow and immediately respawn in the exact place where you died, with full health, while the mobs you were fighting are still hurt from before. And you can do this over and over.

It's just a "continue for free" mechanic that killed the game making it a zero-challenge endeavour.

i will grant that the first had nice visuals, a pretty decent storyline with good direction, and i still remember the impact of the terrifying ending (you kill your girlfriend as she is turned into a monster, you die yourself), but the mechanic of being able to just bash your head against a boss until the game gets bored and lets you kill it is just stupid.

They might as well have put in a button that says "win game"

to recap: Prey is a Doom-style FPS shooter (medikits n'all) where, if you die, you go to the "spirit world", a small round platform with "souls" floating around, you shoot a few of the many with a bow and immediately respawn in the exact place where you died, with full health, while the mobs you were fighting are still hurt from before. And you can do this over and over.

It's just a "continue for free" mechanic that killed the game making it a zero-challenge endeavour.

this is a terrible recap, the only detail you were even close on was the gf boss, which was not the end boss. got to agree the respawn was pretty lame but you're way off base on basically every mechanic you just decribed. not "doom like" at all, give it another go you might actually finish it this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83399ZdcM4
spirit world thingie.

what other mechanics are you talking about?
Prey is a Doom-style FPS shooter (medikits n'all) - hardly argue with this, can we?
where, if you die, you go to the "spirit world" - see attached video in link

Whatever though, you are excited for Prey 2, good for you. I'm not going to lose sleep.

What I don't get, is lal the people bashing the game for it's "spirit world" thing, how is that any different then hitting quick save,/quick load? It's just taking a menu-mechanic and having a reason to restart where you die rather then having to quick load or onot.

I never did finish prey but I don't remember dying in it past the part where you have to die so perhaps I'm missing something.

Good. The first Prey sucked. Take these resources...make Stalker 2.

Your opinion, I think the first Prey was very unique in it's execution, brought new things to the table that even today 6 years later have not been reproduced, and an interesting story. On top of this, it took the Doom 3 / Quake4 engine and ran away with it producing arguably the best visuals that the engine has ever produced. I don't call that a loser. I personally think all the Stalker series are overhyped. Never could get into SOC, CS, or COP.

That doesn't make sense. Didn't it win most anticipated game of E3? Why would you get such huge recognition and then BAM, canceled (then again probably not the first time)? I hope it's not true.

You must not remember Final Fantasy 64 then too much do you? LOL ;)

@ Stiler,

the problem is that - assuming a game which even has quicksave - the mobs are still hurt.

you can get to a boss fight, shoot until you die, respawn, shoot until you die, etc ..

dodging attacks isn't even necessary anymore. failing is just an annoyance.

i said it - i liked the story, and the visuals. but the gameplay was completely crippled by this design choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83399ZdcM4
spirit world thingie.

what other mechanics are you talking about?
Prey is a Doom-style FPS shooter (medikits n'all) - hardly argue with this, can we?
where, if you die, you go to the "spirit world" - see attached video in link

Whatever though, you are excited for Prey 2, good for you. I'm not going to lose sleep.

well that's the kind of thing you could learn by playing the game, there are zero medkits in prey not sure what you're talking about there.

What I don't get, is lal the people bashing the game for it's "spirit world" thing, how is that any different then hitting quick save,/quick load? It's just taking a menu-mechanic and having a reason to restart where you die rather then having to quick load or onot.

I never did finish prey but I don't remember dying in it past the part where you have to die so perhaps I'm missing something.

it has its merits imo, I didn't enjoy it but I can respect the innovation. in addition to that you could also see it as a training penalty, like hey you suck, have some target practice while you respawn. the better you do, the more health you get. time was limited so it's not just "keep shooting till your health is full", you had to choose between refilling health and spirit within that small window of time.

I don't remember dying alot, I just remember it getting real tedious towards the end when you just want to reload a save, which you still could btw. but if you had the choice of spending less than 30 seconds flinging some arrows, to continue right where you left off, or losing even more time than that in progress, which would you choose? it made sense, just could have used some variation to keep it fresh.

Good. The first Prey sucked. Take these resources...make Stalker 2.

I wouldn't say it sucked,there just wasn't much to distinguish it from other shooters. The sequel looks as if it would be much better. Though if I had to choose,STALKER 2 would win hands down.

HEALTH SPORES.

i'm sorry if they are not white with a red cross on them. what shall we call them?

the problem is that - assuming a game which even has quicksave - the mobs are still hurt.

you can get to a boss fight, shoot until you die, respawn, shoot until you die, etc ..

dodging attacks isn't even necessary anymore. failing is just an annoyance.

edit: i forgot HEALTH BASINS. which incidentally, *just like doom*, are fixed on the spot and cannot be picked up/action used.

i don't see how more doom like this can be. it's the doom engine. shall we call id software for their opinion?

Last edited:
Why do game companies keep shelving years of work? At least staple it together and sell it for a few dollars per copy. "Yeah, it's buggy and unfinished in spots, but I only paid $3 for a digital download."

Shotguns with a three foot range, stop doing this

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is the only game I know of that got this right. Depending on what kind of shot I put into my shotgun, it could be a short range or long range hunting rifle like hunters and farmers have used for a century.

I could pick soldiers off like sniping Deer in the distance with a Shotgun depending on what kind of rounds I used.

Why do game companies keep shelving years of work? At least staple it together and sell it for a few dollars per copy. "Yeah, it's buggy and unfinished in spots, but I only paid $3 for a digital download."

They already tried that,didn't work so well for Duke Nukem.

Back