• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

(rumor) NVidia GTX 780

Sorry to Nercro the thread but I think I have an issue with the 3rd 780 GTX I just picked up. Out of the box placed it on +200 Mhz like my other 2 and it worked great through out the night.

On the particular WU is is crunching at the moment it goes as normal with a TPF of 3:00~ every 10-15% though it takes nearly 20 minutes to complete a frame then back to normal. There's no Bad State Detected warnings, no drop in clocks or GPU power utilization?

Anyone else seen this behavior? Worth returning the card?

It can also stall completely and not progress at all. I've had that, it went away when I lowered overclock.
 
Just reporting my preliminary observations from at least one of my 2 new GTX 780 SC's (getting some baselines from one before installing the other). Out of the box it appears to be doing 160K PPD on average. Totally impressed so far and I haven't even started overclocking the thing further than it already is.
 
Out of the box GTX 780 Superclocked... no additional overlcocking applied yet.
System CPU is a 2700K (@ stock) on a P8Z68-V mobo.

Project ID: 8900
Core: ZETA
Credit: 6000
Frames: 100

Number of Frames Observed: 84

Min. Time / Frame : 00:02:52 - 173,540.7 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:03:00 - 162,100.8 PPD
Cur. Time / Frame : 00:02:53 - 168,893.5 PPD
R3F. Time / Frame : 00:02:57 - 164,527.9 PPD
All Time / Frame : 00:03:00 - 161,384.3 PPD
Eff. Time / Frame : 00:03:02 - 159,347.9 PPD
 
967MHz core, and 1023MHz boost. I SWEAR I never touched any of the settings on the card to push it any further than what it was out of the box. Can't remember the voltage off hand...I'd check it, but I currently have that system half apart as I'm swapping it to a new case (hopefully more airflow). Not that it needs too much airflow... it never went above 60C while folding and the fan never went above 60%. I tried a few custom fan settings and got it down to 57C at about 65% fan which is still inaudible. I am THOROUGHLY impressed with this first card at least.
 
Sure that's not a TITAN by accident lol? My 4x 780s @ 1020 Only get 137k PPD I have to clock em to 1175 to get 160k :( Weird.
 
As I was observing PrecisionX, I don't believe it went above 1023MHz which would coincide with EVGA's published specs for the card. So far, the only thing I've used PrecisionX for is to monitor temps, and to monitor and adjust the fan speed. I haven't touched any of the sliders for OC'ing yet.

Once it is up and running again (later today), I'll double check and maybe take a few screenies to post. I would only be able to show the clocks while it is folding. I wouldn't be able to show actual frame times considering the 8900's dried up.
 
OK, so I did misread/misremember what PrecisionX said. Though it's still not as high as 1175MHz. It's at 1123MHz, not 1023Mhz (though EVGA's specs still say boost clock is at 1020MHz). I'm still impressed though.

EDIT: Second card runs at 1110MHz.

On a side note, if anyone is considering a new 780, 770, 760, or the like and want a QUIET card, I HIGHLY recommend EVGA. Their ACX coolers are amazing. I have one set at 80% fan and it still blends into the drone of the case fans.. in fact it's not even a drone so much as just the sound of air moving.. the motors on the fans themselves make no noise whatsoever. And even when keeping quiet, these coolers are extremely efficient... the one card runs at 57C at 65% fan. The other is a bit hotter because it's sucking in the heated air from between the two cards... however, it doesn't go above 71C. I'm going to do some swapping of case fans and whatnot and I'm hoping to drop those temps another degree or two.

I even took a cue from AndyE and am trying out a HAF XB because, as he observed, there is a straight path for airflow from the intake straight to the cards. Heated air isn't trapped at all, it's exhausted straight up out the top of the case without having any other components like the CPU in the way.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top