Rumor - mining driver for 1060

I keep looking at 1060s but they are still so overpriced, I managed to Snag a 580 and 4 570s with a bitcoin I had in a random wallet a week ago for less than what a 1060 6GB cost despite the markups. Charging more for an inferior product just shows how strong of a brand name they have, and yes I'm talking gaming and specific games that I play. That missing 7/MHs adds up over numerous cards so it's a hard pill to swallow with ROI being lower and possible crash of Pricing.

I did grab a 1050Ti just to see how it would handle ZEC 170Sol/s Heavy OC and 1070 Mobile variant is 420Sol/S light OC

So I got the bug and started with my gtx1050ti to try out, I was folding back in the days (should have mined some bitcoin instead:LOL:)

Anyway this puppy is hashing away at 14-15Mh/s drawing 56W 1721Mhz core 2125Mhz mem. Looks like a roi of 2 month's for this card with current prices.

Going to build a mining rig, and forced to go with nvidia because amd cards are rarer than hens teeth atm. Could a 6x gtx1050ti be a viable rig? I had initially planned 6x gtx1060. Also looks like the gtx1060 9Gbps version oc's to 10 Gbps, are the mining only cards based of this model?

So I got the bug and started with my gtx1050ti to try out, I was folding back in the days (should have mined some bitcoin instead:LOL:)

Anyway this puppy is hashing away at 14-15Mh/s drawing 56W 1721Mhz core 2125Mhz mem. Looks like a roi of 2 month's for this card with current prices.

Going to build a mining rig, and forced to go with nvidia because amd cards are rarer than hens teeth atm. Could a 6x gtx1050ti be a viable rig? I had initially planned 6x gtx1060. Also looks like the gtx1060 9Gbps version oc's to 10 Gbps, are the mining only cards based of this model?

From what I've seen they are based on 8gbps memory.

I wouldn't build a rig based on 1050s.... just because it's not THAT profitable and resale value is low... I'd go with the 1060's and up I think the 1070's are really decent miners but they are still alil pricey as far as ROI goes...

Reactions: Raiju
like this

I wouldn't use 1050's. They pull all their power from the pcie slot and that is worrisome for melting risers. 1060's minimum

I too decided to try the 1060's. They're not great but they mine OK. I just wanted to make sure I had one for the moment when we hack the mining driver together for full retail cards (it'll happen).

But for now I think I like the 1070's better (among Nvidia).

So far my 5x1060 are drawing about 530W from the wall. 91-92mh/s. They have very crappy memory and doing about 18mh/s each.

I too decided to try the 1060's. They're not great but they mine OK. I just wanted to make sure I had one for the moment when we hack the mining driver together for full retail cards (it'll happen).

But for now I think I like the 1070's better (among Nvidia).

The only problem with a mining driver, if it actually exists is, it will probably be optimized for eth only and I could care less about mining eth. Difficulty is going through the roof and it won't be profitable for much longer. Then what are all these "new people" going to do? They can barely figure out mining eth.

The amount of moronic questions on bitcointalk being repeated daily is crazy.

The only problem with a mining driver, if it actually exists is, it will probably be optimized for eth only and I could care less about mining eth. Difficulty is going through the roof and it won't be profitable for much longer. Then what are all these "new people" going to do? They can barely figure out mining eth.

I agree with what you're saying, the problem is to mine profitably over time you have to be versatile. It's always been low margin but a million idiots asking the same questions over and over in fractured English because they hope their RX 460 will make them a millionaire is almost enough to make a grown man cry.

Oh though regarding the driver... I doubt they're going to target just eth, we might see enhancements for other algos.

I doubt they will actually put that much effort into increasing performance. They will probably turn off some not needed parts of the GPU, adjust some timings, and call it a day.

I doubt they will actually put that much effort into increasing performance. They will probably turn off some not needed parts of the GPU, adjust some timings, and call it a day.

Yeah who knows. That might be enough to just make it the more efficient choice for all mining anyhow.

AFAIK its not just optimized for ethereum, it also does at least zcoin and monero.

I wouldn't use 1050's. They pull all their power from the pcie slot and that is worrisome for melting risers. 1060's minimum

I have been thinking about this. The gtx1060 draws about 60W from pcie (stock) and I doubt the AMD's draw less. I draw 56W atm (might even be possible to go a bit lower, needs fine tuning). It looks the best hash per watt card out there, except for resale value ofc, Am i missing something here?

I have been thinking about this. The gtx1060 draws about 60W from pcie (stock) and I doubt the AMD's draw less. I draw 56W atm (might even be possible to go a bit lower, needs fine tuning). It looks the best hash per watt card out there, except for resale value ofc, Am i missing something here?

One issues becomes the cost of the PCIe connections to support multiple tiny cards vs larger beefier cards .

One issues becomes the cost of the PCIe connections to support multiple tiny cards vs larger beefier cards .

Not only the PCIe power connectors, but also the PCIe risers, and overall system density. More cheaper cards means still having to buy more motherboards/CPUs/RAM and supporting hardware (PSUs, network cable, surge protectors/UPS, switches, etc.)

Not only the PCIe power connectors, but also the PCIe risers, and overall system density. More cheaper cards means still having to buy more motherboards/CPUs/RAM and supporting hardware (PSUs, network cable, surge protectors/UPS, switches, etc.)

Well, you pretty much need to assume that having more PCIe connections requires all those particular items to support them. They don't appear floating in thin air ;) .

Except UPS ... I'm not buying a UPS to support 100 or more cards and I didn't buy one when I was right into this with 700 cards. All I did was put surge caps on the subpanels and forget about it.

Yeah, just wanted to bring up the argument against the cheap & power-efficient cards is that you either lose out on profits (duh) or end up spending more elsewhere to get them up and running if you go bigger.

+1 on the UPS. None of mine are on UPS's either except for my main desktop that just happens to mine as its side-job.

Why do you guys use UPS? What is that for? Surge protection?
Where I live, I have never, ever had any electronic go bad because of a surge. We pretty much never have electricity interrupts.

A UPS would protect against brief black outs or loss of electricity. Depending on the type of UPS they could protect you for minutes or hours of lost power.

In my area, the electricity is pretty solid so I never bother with UPS systems. However, back when I used to do IT, I used them for clients when building security camera systems that were mission critical and could not go down (even for a few minutes).

A UPS would protect against brief black outs or loss of electricity. Depending on the type of UPS they could protect you for minutes or hours of lost power.

In my area, the electricity is pretty solid so I never bother with UPS systems. However, back when I used to do IT, I used them for clients when building security camera systems that were mission critical and could not go down (even for a few minutes).

Power here can be flaky at times during the day.

I've got one on my desktop because I work from home and minor brownouts cause lost work and drops from conference calls.

I also have my network rack on a 1u rack UPS for my modem, firewall/router, switch, PoE injector for my AP, and camera system. None of that has done so much as hiccuped in the last 5 months now!

Weren't these things supposed to be released already? Where are my drivers at? Half of my 1070s are sitting here waiting on me to make some machine decisions, and the other half will be here over the next few days..

Back