Rumor Has It

Nice one by management keeping it all under wraps and not telling everyone and screwing them over.

Are those pics in the article from City of Industry? They look so familiar.

I was a PC Club customer ages ago. They used to be great. About the time they opened other stores, prices shot up and I stopped going.

As a former PC Club employee, I'm happy to see this day come. :D:D
They were a horrible place to work with apathetic regional management. They had no real business sense for the most part. Ever since Jackson Lan (Founder) died that company had been grossly mismanaged. The reviews posted on [H] were very true to how the systems were sent to stores for sales. I also found the management to be a little intolerant of the Anglo employees, while overlooking all of the Asian under performers. This may have been corrected in the last few years, but it was true back in 2002 - 2003.

I feel sorry for the employees of PC Club and hope they can all find gigs that pay good money and not expect 60+ hours a week.

Unrealistic goals, horrible to get good stock in, and we were always held back from making good deals to resellers.

R.I.P. PC Club. It's about time the dragon boat found it's way back to Taiwan.

Chris Schultz
Former Asst. Manager
Arrowhead (AZAH) Store,
Glendale, AZ

Well that sucks. I purchased a few things from the PCclub near me and never had an issue other than limited selection on hand. I got my 8800GT from them when they were all the rage and nowhere to be found online. Now Compusa and PCclub are gone, and I will have to drive 20+min to Fry's or order online.

Club IT's website now says the following:

We are sad to announce that PC Club and Clubit are now closed. We apologize to our customers. If you have any pending orders or concerns please contact us at: [email protected] Thank you for all your years of support.

Dugg.

RIP ClubIT... many parts from my last computer were from them... all the rebates through them went through properly as well. I have no complaints. Too bad, fewer competitors usually equals higher prices.

Their website was much better than mwave's, zipzoomfly's or directron's. Only Newegg's is better laid out. As other have already mentioned I really liked how they would put which lot the processor came from on the website.

PC Club... I can't say I'll miss them... the stores were always a tad overpriced, the selection was a bit weak, and the customer service was really random... not quite a mom and pop shop, not quite a heartless superstore like fry's, the old computer city or best buy... some where in between but combining the bad points of each. :-O

Justed called our local store and talked to the lead there. Sad times indeed.

Closest place for me to drive for PC parts is now Fry's, over an hour away =(

I have to say, finally. The place was dishonest when I worked there 5 years back. Some good people, a lot of bad people.

Oh man, I like clubit.com. I was able to get a Thermaltake Armor with 25cm side fan for $18 after $150 MIR from them. I had good experience with clubit and they were one of the few online vendors that will guarantee CPU stepping. :(

As a former PC Club employee, I'm happy to see this day come. :D:D
They were a horrible place to work with apathetic regional management. They had no real business sense for the most part. Ever since Jackson Lan (Founder) died that company had been grossly mismanaged. The reviews posted on [H] were very true to how the systems were sent to stores for sales. I also found the management to be a little intolerant of the Anglo employees, while overlooking all of the Asian under performers. This may have been corrected in the last few years, but it was true back in 2002 - 2003.

I feel sorry for the employees of PC Club and hope they can all find gigs that pay good money and not expect 60+ hours a week.

Unrealistic goals, horrible to get good stock in, and we were always held back from making good deals to resellers.

R.I.P. PC Club. It's about time the dragon boat found it's way back to Taiwan.

Chris Schultz
Former Asst. Manager
Arrowhead (AZAH) Store,
Glendale, AZ

Wow, you definitely worked there too. It was the same in Oregon, my friend.

I know that, but sometimes it's hard to find something that hasn't been returned before from a shelf full of returned products. Sometimes you have to wonder why there's so many returned items.

If ever store marked every item that's returned as a return, you'd see far more returned items at other stores too.

Ever bought a GPU from Fry's and returned it without opening it? I have. The first thing the CS reps do is open the box and verify that all the parts are in the box. Even if they don't open it the product has the return sticker.

With that said, I've rarely been forced to buy an open box item.

That sucks. Club IT was pretty pleasant to deal w/ (can't speak of PC Club though). I really only dealt with them a couple times - once w/ the MANY RC690 deals, and last a few months ago w/ my G0 quad w/ copy of QW + a few random bits. Three times if you count the fubar'd 690 purchase that error-ed out leaving me w/ a 'phantom' charge on my card for a few days - which ClubIT responded to quickly when e-mailed.. I guess I should count myself lucky that I haven't dealt w/ them in a few months and have long since deposited/cleared the $20 CIT check as part of my case rebate(s).. At least it seems they're going out on a high note, at least as best can be in a situation like this. Of ocurse employees and suppliers will get screwed to some degree, and that's of course unfortunate. But at least they're not trying to screw everybody over for months like Monarch ended up doing in a pathetic attempt at delaying the inevitable.

BTW, I can't be the only one that had NO idea that PC Club and ClubIT were one in the same can I?

I should add that I'm sad to see ClubIT go. They were always one of the first 2 or 3 places I looked to buy stuff. Basically I considered ZZF, Newegg and ClubIT the fist round of stops.

Hopefully places like Jab-tech, Directron and some of the other smaller sites will survive this economy. Jab-Tech is a great place when shopping for a bunch of fans, Heat Sinks and so on. They kill you on shipping with small orders but if you order $200.00 of wires, fans, Heat sinks (whatever), it's only a few bucks more. I suspect directron will do OK, since they're in SW Houston. Fry's isn't far away, but Directron is generally competitive, IMO.

There's something fucking wrong with this country when a company like ClubIT goes out of business. Wis we could find out why.

This is horrible news. Now the only parts store in Phoenix,AZ is shitty fry's. I HATE FRYS! :(

I would assume it was bad management coupled with a lacking business plan more than anything.

I don't mean to sound spiteful but I think last time I went into a PC Club their selection was nil and overpriced, sort of like a Comp USA.

After reading the horror stores about having no real local computer stores, I feel fortunate living in the DFW area. We have multiple locations of Fry's, we have CompUSA (Tiger Direct), Micro Center and now Axiontech (Directron) has opened a store over in Dallas.

BTW, I shop frequently at the Arlington, Texas Frys, and have always gotten treated quite well, and anytime I have had a problem it has always been resolved to my satisfaction.

With CompUSA and PC Club gone I think the closest thing to a PC retailer in Oklahoma City or all of Oklahoma for that matter is BestBuy and that's just sad.

All you people have it good. Up here in Michigan we have NOTHING! (Except for one Fry's over in Detroit? I just saw one the other day, can't remember where I was though.) (And Best Buy/Circuit City don't count!)

pretty shitty, the last place i got my hardware from was clubit, shame that any tech store has to go down like this

All you people have it good. Up here in Michigan we have NOTHING! (Except for one Fry's over in Detroit? I just saw one the other day, can't remember where I was though.) (And Best Buy/Circuit City don't count!)
I/O software in Flint and there is a place in Lansing on 46.

I just order online anyways.

Hmm, I DID receive my rebate from them last week. Haven't cashed it yet. You guys think I'll actually get any money or is it just a dead check?

Hmm, I DID receive my rebate from them last week. Haven't cashed it yet. You guys think I'll actually get any money or is it just a dead check?
Unless it's a check written directly from PC Club/Club IT there should be no problem with it.

Rebate fulfillment houses don't release checks until they have been paid. Most rebates (besides many @ TD) are manufacturer's rebates anyways. I send in a lot of rebates and I can't remember the last store rebate I sent in.

I think khansolo is referring to ClubIT's own rebates. Like sometimes, they'd do these promos that were insane deals, and you'd look closely and see that there were in fact two rebates - the regular manufacturer's rebate, and a ClubIT rebate that went back to ClubIT.

I should add that I'm sad to see ClubIT go. They were always one of the first 2 or 3 places I looked to buy stuff. Basically I considered ZZF, Newegg and ClubIT the fist round of stops.

Hopefully places like Jab-tech, Directron and some of the other smaller sites will survive this economy. Jab-Tech is a great place when shopping for a bunch of fans, Heat Sinks and so on. They kill you on shipping with small orders but if you order $200.00 of wires, fans, Heat sinks (whatever), it's only a few bucks more. I suspect directron will do OK, since they're in SW Houston. Fry's isn't far away, but Directron is generally competitive, IMO.

QFT. ClubIT was always one of the first places I went to while looking for hardware. On alot of items they had better prices than Newegg or ZZF. I also hope that Jab-tech stays alive. I ordered my Ultima-90 from them (among other things) and I've had great experiences with them. Fast order processing and a quick turn around to get the order shipped. Plus, they have some of the best prices for all that small stuff for PCs (fans, heatsinks, modding supplies etc.)

What a shame!
I have spent over $8, grand at the Westwood (L.A.) store in the past 5-years and really appreciated the relationships with this location's employees. It's unfortunate the BBB gave them an "F" rating as a company but management really declined after the founder died 2- years ago.
Sure I LOVE Newegg, but here the employees knew all their customers; who were mostly small business owners, UCLA staff/students, and we DIY enthusiasts. So now another local business is gone forever. They didn't retain the good people and often knew less than I expected but they were my local guys. So,"R.I.P..." P C Club... You shall be missed.

Not surprising, brick and mortar computer centers are a thing of the past. You can't survive when you just sell just one paticular product, (Computer Parts)..

And to the haters, compaines go into business for two reasons.

1. Make money for the owner(s) and or shareholders.
2. Provide a good product/service.

When one of those stops working, you see the sign on the door that says (Closed). My feeling is it wasn't because of #2, but because the money dried up.

So....basically, we all got screwed.

2 years ago, the owner/founder (Jackson Lan) passed away after a long battle with cancer. Now it seems his dream passed with him. He had an outlook for PCC that never would have ended in this manner.

His brother took over the company, and shortly thereafter ~15 store were abruptly closed citing reasons of ineffectiveness. Of course many of these stores had yet to be open for 2-3 years. Those stores were in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado, etc.

Roughly about a month ago, maybe a little more - the current president, the vice-president, and a couple of regional mgrs were 'separated' from the company. Then came a massive reorganization in which HQ was restructured from the top down. It seemed as if the company was consolidating and preparing an effort to return to the old days of focusing on the 'brick and mortar' business that it was founded on. In the weeks following, cost cutting measures were implemented and more staff rearranged and removed...including the heads of accounting and HR. Still, we were all reassured that this was being done for the good of the company.

Then come the inventory issues. All stores in the company are running short of product and the distribution center has no inventory on hand. We are told this is because new purchase accounts are being established and the lull is only temporary. District managers are plainly telling store manager's as recent as yesterday that inventory problems should be taken care of soon and that we may just have to deal with it for a couple of more weeks. In the mean time, customers continues to ask if we're going out of business - resellers are openly pissed about not being able to get product.

Then there's today. And all of you already know what happened. Senior management disappeared and were unreachable by the company attorney during the 'meeting of doom'. We closed the store, made final deposits, got our stuff, and left.

If you talk to the people who have been with PCC for a while, they'll tell you that the current state of PCC was not always like this and it in no way resembles the founders original dream.
PCC was good to me, and I worked my ass off for them while I was there. We had a good store. We had loyal customers. We had solid employees. And we continually posted a profit.

Loyal employees deserved better and this should have gone down much differently.

May 28th would have been 6 years for me. I'll miss my store, the people I worked with, and those I interacted with daily.

Jab-tech is in newalla Ok. Don't know if Jab computers has an actual store, but they might.

Crap. the last message was in response to the guy from Oklahoma....quoted the wrong message :rolleyes:

Well THIS SUCKS!!
Of course the fact that they sold a WD 1T drive for only $180 might explain part of it, there are discounts and then there are unofficial fire sales.

Now I guess it is time to see how long Newegg will last us all, does anyone know what their status BUSINESS wise happens to be??

Back