[RUMOR] COD: Ghosts 720p on Xbox One; 1080p on PS4

Do you believe these latest rumors?

• Total voters
At 10 feet the difference between 720p and 1080p is pretty small but it all depends on how big of a display you are using. A 55 inch TV would still show a minor but obvious difference. However a 40 inch TV would show virtually no difference. You would have to have better than 20/20 vision to see it on a 40 inch at 10 feet away.

Most people have between 32-55 inch sets so it all depends on your setup. The only time where this is invalid is on projectors which only display very large images and the difference between the two is always obvious.

I think this is bullshit. Maybe it applies to video, however for games I can easily tell the difference, usually via greatly reduced pixel crawl and less edge artifacts.

I think this is bullshit. Maybe it applies to video, however for games I can easily tell the difference, usually via greatly reduced pixel crawl and less edge artifacts.

Its not. Its fact , check the avsforums. People have poured over the debate for years and its the majority of people simply can not resolve enough detail at 10 feet to see the difference of 720p versus 1080p depending on the size of display.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...tell-the-difference-between-hdtv-resolutions/

Generally speaking, if you sit more than 10 feet away from your TV, and your display isn’t bigger than 50 inches diagonally, you won’t be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

The human eye is an amazing optical nerve in total but it sees in HD only in a very small focused section of your day to day vision. Its not a traditional camera so it doesn't just absorb as much as possible but uses the brain to help parse and throw away unimportant information. For information on how that process is done :

http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/s2/chapter14.html

An interesting bit :

Vision in the visual field center operates best under high illumination. Has the greatest visual acuity and color sensitivity is ten times better than in the field periphery

So it seems to make sense that in the tiny field of focus that if you back far enough away detail even with the maximum part our centralized focus will blur enough to justify the theory.

When was the last time you saw a Video Game, produced on FILM Godmachine? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You still replying to me Teletran? Isn't that cute. Good thing I can't read what you've typed. Have a good one bud.

wosZ0qt.jpg

Is there any footage comparing ps3 to ps4 with cod ghosts? If so a link would be appreciated

This is all just a ruse by Microsoft. There are still people holding out hope for a day 1 patch that unlocks the secret dGPU!

How would you not notice the decreased fov?

FOV has no relation to 720p or 1080p....

Also why do many of you think that Devs will magically make games better in this gen?
The architecture used in this gen in common and known for awhile. They have already maxed out the consoles already with the launch titles. Also dont give me that bullshit "optimization" excuse and "time to learn the new interface". "Optimization" is another word for crippling in the console world.

Also why do many of you think that Devs will magically make games better in this gen?
The architecture used in this gen in common and known for awhile. They have already maxed out the consoles already with the launch titles. Also dont give me that bullshit "optimization" excuse and "time to learn the new interface". "Optimization" is another word for crippling in the console world.

Too soon to even think about declare either console maxed out. Every modern console has seen pretty dramatic improvements in visual quality throughout their life. Look at the release games for the 360, they look like total trash compared to what developers are doing now on the 360.

I like how comments are speculating it's because of the One using DDR3....could be.
Either way, it's real shitty to get 'new consoles' that have the same flaw as the 'old consoles'...no native 1080P output. Sorry, there's no excuse for that in 2013.

Well it is because they are using GDDR3, and a slower GPU. GDDR3 doesn't have the bandwidth for high resolution gaming, which is why damn near every decent video card released in the last few years only uses GDDR5.

Every generation I hear some people say this sort of thing... and every console generation they are proven wrong. Maybe this is FINALLY the time, right? :rolleyes:

Except that this generation it is true? it is a basic PC architecture, if you don't know it then read it up, there are no secret sauces, no amazing secrets.

Btw regarding the importance of high resolution, i invite anyone who doubts it to just open this page and do the test:

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_hyperacuity/

Where were you for the 360/PS3 launch? You think a game like GTA V would've been possible at launch? Look at GTA IV compared to GTA V running on the same hardware and V looks way better. It's called devs coding directly to hardware finding out what works and what doesn't.

Seriously one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time.

He's mostly correct. FOV is (generally) a function of aspect ratio, not resolution. Since 720p and 1080p are the same aspect ratio...

When you change res, the FOV (and the HUD) seem to change as well...at least that's always been my experience. This is exacerbated when you run at >1080P. Yes I realize we're talking about consoles capped at 1080P, but the point is still valid.

I can't think of a single game where changing the resolution (and maintaining the aspect ratio) changes the FOV.

This is interesting ... apparently Activsion asked Microsoft to allow them to use the 10% of the GPU reserved for Kinect, but they were denied.

Activision asked MS to use the 10% OS allocated GPU portion on Xbox One for their COD Ghosts Port.

— Ahsan Rasheed (@thuway) November 1, 2013

MS responded: "No it would result in the environment being too unstable."

— Ahsan Rasheed (@thuway) November 1, 2013

SOURCE

This is interesting ... apparently Activsion asked Microsoft to allow them to use the 10% of the GPU reserved for Kinect, but they were denied.

SOURCE

Is that 10% reserved for just Kinect? I thought it was reserved for all of that "Snap" multitasking with different OSes support.

Is that 10% reserved for just Kinect? I thought it was reserved for all of that "Snap" multitasking with different OSes support.

Same. Probably would destabilize the OS. Microsoft needs to optimize the Xbox OS to use less resources. 10 percent more could have allowed Activision to run at 1080p or at least 900p.

Interesting strategy Microsoft is playing. I would have thought they would have pushed for performance but it seems they are going for "experience" as part of the system as a whole instead of on a per game basis.

A bit of hand selecting quotes .. if you read the article you also will see this :

He also says that Microsoft is working on a method to utilize this 10% for games since it is reserved for Kinect and is used solely for it.

10 percent more could have allowed Activision to run at 1080p or at least 900p.
:eek:

Using BF4 as reference here, where the higher resolution requires pushing 50% more pixels than One.

You think that 10% more, of a GPU that's already gimped by having 33% less cores, is going to put CoD on One up to the level that PS4 plays CoD? I'm not sure about that.

You think that 10% more, of a GPU that's already gimped by having 33% less cores, is going to put CoD on One up to the level that PS4 plays CoD? I'm not sure about that.

You don't need to compare to PS4 at all; leave it out of the conversation of this logic.

1080p is 2.25x more pixels than 720P. You aren't going to push twice as many pixels with a 10% increase in power.

So is Forza 5 the ONLY 1080P 60 FPS launch game for XBOXONE?

Forza Motorsport 4 ran at 60fps in 720p.

I remember my first PC I was playing Half Life DM on my Pentium 3 + Voodoo3 AGP and had an 85Hz Sony Trinitron. I think it did 1280x768 :eek: That's very funny looking back because that was in the 90's yo. I remember fps were almost always in the 70's range too with that setup. That was so much fun back then!

Both consoles seem pretty underpowered. PC gaming is going to start getting held back even sooner into this generation than the 360/PS3 era.

:eek:

Using BF4 as reference here, where the higher resolution requires pushing 50% more pixels than One.

It wouldn't have hurt. Maybe 1080p native is a reach but 900p might not have been. 10 percent more processing power might not be a night and day difference but who knows.

So is Forza 5 the ONLY 1080P 60 FPS launch game for XBOXONE?

I believe FIFA is 1080p, but don't quote me on that. I think Ryse: Son of Rome is going to run at 900p. I'm not sure about some of the other launch titles.

EDIT: I've done a little more searching and it looks like NBA2K14 runs at 1080p @ 60 FPS. According to a eurogamer.net article, Crimson Dragon is supposedly 1080p @ 30 FPS. I'm not sure how accurate that is, because the same article talks about Ryse also being 1080p, but other sites have said 900p. I found an article about Titanfall, and they asked the games producer, Drew McCoy, if the game would be 1080p, and he said "We’ll see how performance goes. Frame-rate is king." Since it's not a launch title, and is not releasing until early next year, they have plenty of time to tinker.

Last edited:
I now think a gamer that likes COD/BF4 or FPS on consoles, and jumps on this XBOXONE/Wii U will eventually see the same game at a friends house on a PS4 and shit bricks. Then they will want to sell their XBOXONE/Wii U badly for a PS4 obviously. The people that don't buy the XBOXONE for FPS won't care though, but MS is going to lose A LOT of FPS fans with this muddier resolution and/or less frames per second in first person shooter games.

Score PS4!

I believe FIFA is 1080p, but don't quote me on that. I think Ryse: Son of Rome is going to run at 900p. I'm not sure about some of the other launch titles.

EDIT: I've done a little more searching and it looks like NBA2K14 runs at 1080p @ 60 FPS. According to a eurogamer.net article, Crimson Dragon is supposedly 1080p @ 30 FPS. I'm not sure how accurate that is, because the same article talks about Ryse also being 1080p, but other sites have said 900p. I found an article about Titanfall, and they asked the games producer, Drew McCoy, if the game would be 1080p, and he said "We’ll see how performance goes. Frame-rate is king." Since it's not a launch title, and is not releasing until early next year, they have plenty of time to tinker.

Well at least it can run sports games @ 1080p 60fps. They'll keep that base.

Microsoft is apparently using BF4 footage of the PC version to promote an Xbone event. Major Nelson looks like a huge dumb ass in this btw with all his comments from before and now this.

furiousfanboys.com/2013/11/microsoft-uses-pc-battlefield-4-footage-in-xbox-promo/

Major Nelson looks like a huge dumb ass in this btw with all his comments from before and now this.

furiousfanboys.com/2013/11/microsoft-uses-pc-battlefield-4-footage-in-xbox-promo/

It's MS's own fault the Xbox One hw is weaker than PS4. Honestly PS4 is not quite as powerful as I had hoped it might be. But it is cheap so that's good.

Microsoft really aimed low on specs considering it is launching 8 years after their last new console. Funny to hear them try and spin it.

my fear is that they will gimp future PS4 games to make the XBONE cross platform games run same as the PS4 games. just to keep the One viable, which of course will filter down to PC versins being held back too. Istead of building eah platforms games to the capability of the more powerful systems of course this will not be appearent on exclusives for the more powerful systems.

It's MS's own fault the Xbox One hw is weaker than PS4. Honestly PS4 is not quite as powerful as I had hoped it might be. But it is cheap so that's good.

Microsoft really aimed low on specs considering it is launching 8 years after their last new console. Funny to hear them try and spin it.

It will be very interesting to see how long they hold the $499 price point.

Microsoft is apparently using BF4 footage of the PC version to promote an Xbone event. Major Nelson looks like a huge dumb ass in this btw with all his comments from before and now this.

MS/XBOX is dishonest who knew? :eek: :p

I bet most people are NOT surprised by this, XBOX will do anything it can to trick its user-base into buying their under-powered console. They have millions invested, so they can't let the truth get out...but it's pretty difficult when there's a backspace button menu option on a console game/system without said keyboard+mouse availability for it. :eek:

Back